Metroid

Metroid

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Metroid

Post by Caydr »

Anyone ever played the Metroid series? There is one game that hasn't gotten worse with time. Every sequel is better.

If you have a chance, download the Super Metroid rom image and emulator, I promise you'll love it if you give it an hour to get used to it.

Quick note: to switch to morph ball, push down twice.
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Metroid prime and Metrid Prime : echoes for Gamebube ar nice. Haven´t finished Echoes yet but im working on it.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

WAREZ!

But anyway, what was it for?
Lazy Assed Caydr

Post by Lazy Assed Caydr »

Super Nintendo
Relative

Re: Metroid

Post by Relative »

Metroid prime 3 was kickass...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Caydr wrote:Anyone ever played the Metroid series? There is one game that hasn't gotten worse with time. Every sequel is better.
Strongly disagree. Prime 3 and Fusion were nowhere near Prime 1 and Super, respectively and Zero Mission wasn't that great either (weak level design especially regarding the place where you get the power bomb and the stupid stealth sequence) despite improvements in the controls. Of course it got better in the row Metroid -> Metroid II -> Super Metroid -> Metroid Prime. Can't say much about MP2 since I didn't get past the Boost Guardian but the two worlds dynamic seemed like they wanted to move Metroid closer to Zelda.

Overall I'd say Prime and Super are the top tier, Prime 3 and Zero Mission are second tier and Metroid and Fusion are bottom. As I said I can't rank Prime 2 and I've never played Metroid II.

Also, if you like Metroid you should give Bunny Must Die a try.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Super Metroid > all metroids

prime was good to

but the rest arent bad just not super metroid!!

same as Ocarina of time owns all other zeldas hands down (altho link to the past is close)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Oh come on, Metroid 1 was REALLY bad.

Also Zelda OOT is overrated.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

maybe alot of people call OOT overated but..

just think of wen it came out.. it perfected the adventure rpg control scheme it had a decent story and has had the best nintendo soundtrack ever

some may so overated id say best nintendo game of all time :]

ontopic yeh first metroid wasnt great but super metroid redeemed itself

side note...

in the nintendo franchise 3 of the best games for each game series werre all n64 makes me wonder if metroid got a n64 release would it be good

mario 64 owned
Zeld OoT owned
Starfox 64 owned (best starfox imo)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Star Fox 2 > * but it never officially came out.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Otherside wrote:in the nintendo franchise 3 of the best games for each game series werre all n64 makes me wonder if metroid got a n64 release would it be good

mario 64 owned
Zeld OoT owned
Super Mario Galaxy >>>> Super Mario 64
Zelda Twilight Princess > Zelda OOT
Haven't played Starfox though.

OOT had an awfully annoying camera and the controls often got annoying too. Hyrule Field sucks. The whole thing feels annoying. Hey Listen!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Super Mario Galaxy is the most wonderful platformer ever... but it is flawed by the fact that it is way, way too damned easy. The only fun challenge in the game is the comets - the main game is simple, and the purple stars are rote-behavior-frustration. M64 had better difficulty, but was marred by the fact that you spent so long in that game trying to figure out where crap was or what you were supposed to be doing to solve a given star.

StarFox 64 was marred by the awful free-flight scenes. Otherwise kickass.

And Metroid Prime Hunters is the first (only?) really good FPS on a hand-held.
Relative

Post by Relative »

mwuhahahahaha, I've fooled you all! :twisted:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Pxtl wrote:Super Mario Galaxy is the most wonderful platformer ever... but it is flawed by the fact that it is way, way too damned easy.
I disagree, death is still common though of course the mid-level checkpoints don't make it as frustrating as in 64 or Sunshine.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Otherside wrote:Super Metroid > all metroids

prime was good to

but the rest arent bad just not super metroid!!

same as Ocarina of time owns all other zeldas hands down (altho link to the past is close)
LTTP is arguably better than OOT. I'd also give Twighlight princess that title. Longer, More secrets, more weapons, more worlds to see, better graphics (I know no one cares :P), overall I loved playing that game. The only downside was the awkward wii controls.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I liked Majora's Mask personally...

Also: I hear you on Echoes KDR. I haven't gotten past the Boost guardian either...
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Just realized... there wasn't a Metroid on N64 was there?
Super Metroid was indeed kick*ss. Prime was the best of the 3D. Echos... can't beat the spiderball boss. The one on the Wii is alright, but the fetch quests almost ruined it.
Boost guardian took me forever to kill. Walked away and came back to it a few weeks later, and it was a piece of cake.

Zelda games stick to the same formula so tightly that they're all just about as good in my opinion. They might as well just make a procedural generation Zelda game.
Starfox 64, Mario Kart 64 (BLOCKFORT FTW!), and SSB 64 I remember playing at all the parties. Never did like Mario party... I'd rather play a physical board game.
EDIT: Anyone notice, the original SSB had a certain rhythm to it? Melee was the first to hit a button, then keep your opponent down before he can counter attack. But the original was all in the timing...
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

That's why I like Majora's Mask so much. The time-thing kicks the formula in the nads.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Oh N64, don´t forget Conkers Bad Fur Day!

Nintendos Qualitychecks always produced great stuff, everything else simply never came through... Shame that Sony & Microsoft with Massproduction (and a little Help of Square) triumphed
manored

Post by manored »

I already played super metroid 1 but didnt liked much, beside finding it too difficult :) Like megaman X more but the games are too short.

SUPER MARIO 64 ROCKS! :) I heard that there is someone making a level editor for it... I hope he finishes soon so that people start spaming modified versions with diferent levels. Only bad thing in my opinion is that its a bit too easy... or I might be too good :) If I am then I can at least say that you shouldnt gain life with coins cause that makes almost impossible to die winhout being a jerk/falling into some letal stuff, and I would also say that there should be more bosses and they should be harder. (Mario games always had pathetic bosses tough)

I like zelda, tough I usually get tired before finishing the game. The only one I completed was "A link to the past". Main reason I like zelda its because its a rpg of skill, not of boredoom killing leveling...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”