XP & motherboard replacement

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'm curious, si ti possible to replace a motherboard ona computer but not reinstall XP?

I know that for a long time I wondered if you could move an XP installation to a new hardrive and the ICT technicians and network manager at ym school said ti was impossible, then I found a tutorial that said I just needed to uninstall the hardrives in device manager before moving.
Mugslugs

Post by Mugslugs »

From what i've heard and tried as long as your on fat32 its ok to do so also another method involving moving the activation files but i never would of thought that it would of worked with ntfs. Are you sure its not uninstalling the ide/sata drivers, thats what xp checks for motherboard stuff.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ah so uninstalling the IDE SATA and all of those in device manager will allow me to switch motherboards?

I'd like to know if anyone has done this before I even attempt to do it.
Mugslugs

Post by Mugslugs »

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/wi ... therboards
thats where i got it from but from the reveiws it seems to work well good luck if you attempt it wont screw up your drive atleast if it doesnt work which as it seems it will
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

XP will more than likely tell you that your copy is no longer valid if you do this. Therefor, you'll have to call them up to do the reactivation process. However, a new motherboard is not grounds for a key to transfer to a new machine! BE sure to tell them that the mainboard failed -AND- the hard drive failed. Works like a charm.

I have acctually told them "the hard drive exploded" and they believed me. Good times.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

^^ thanks for that =D

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”