Technical: Maybe change forum engine ? - Page 2

Technical: Maybe change forum engine ?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I like phpBB. It's pretty.
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Rayden wrote:Yeah but i wouldn't ask someone in ingame chat to change forum style .. :P. But ok it is stupid to ask for changing the forum in first post i agree ...
No it isn't.
I am the bad guy now? Just tried to be diplomatic :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

imo he's sorta right, phpbb seems a little old, and we could do better.

It does have a nostalgic feeling to it though and it has served us well
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

my biggest complaint with phpbb is that the database is clunky and slow at times. That and the image for registering on phpbb boards is ALWAYS fucked.

Other than that phpbb isn't bad. Vbulletin ftw ;-p
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Why change to a new forum engine if no killer feature = missing / that peep want ?

http://www.phpbb.com/
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=400283

Its not like its development = stopped
Plus they are working on a version 3 atm with the first beta released on ├óÔé¼┬ó 17 Jun 2006
(no upgrade tools attached, since they dont want to included them in a the first beta test = understandable)

New features for version3 of phpbb = http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/features.html

Personnaly if no killer feature why go through hassle of changing forum engine & tryin to keep old forum posts / accounts intacked. And end up giving peep more work todo that is better spent on coding TaSpring, modeling, texturing, maps, ai, mods.
When we could wait till version3 & upgrade tools are released or even dare say test ouf the beta release
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The NS forums were on a phpbb IIRC, security issues forced them to totally recode the database, it's why they are still shut down right now. That being said they had thier forums tied into alot more sensitive material then we do. I immagine a hacker breaking into our moderated forums would get bored pretty quick after reading the spambox and realizing that the only thing ever posted in the moderator forums is ban reports and sexy SJ swimsuit pictures (ok, that last one was a joke). Being open source there isn't too much development going on behind closed doors, and what is isn't posted anywhere on our forums.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What like the secret admin forum?

The AF Post count reports wherent just trivial who ahs the msot piecharts, they actually fiddled the stats in an attempt to guess how many posts where in the admin forum that we couldnt see. It also explains why they kept all their postcounts when the forums got wiped, onyl lossing a hundred or so, whereas everyone else was reset to zero.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Zaphod only put up a moderator discussion forum after I got moderator, so mods didn't have many hidden posts. I think I've got maby 20 posts total in the moderator forum out of my nearly 2000 posts.
Ulpian

Post by Ulpian »

For example:

Did You know, that this **** phpbb stores AND sends via e-mail plaintext password ? Modern boards store only MD5 hash of our passwords.

My provider CERTAINLY uses a sniffer application. So he already knows my password.

Also, if somebody breaks into the forum, he could just read admin password from database and (assume that he) not change anything. Such person can then visit forum as admin, take some hostile actions (manipulate text for example), and it will take long time b4 anybody realises, that someone hacked admin account. If there will be MD5 or similar hash instead of password, such hacker generally need to put his own pass (hash) to database, so real admin can`t acces his account (password changed).

There are plenty hacked phpbb boards over internet. So be sure, that your board is up to date. Maybe, bacause of lack of features, you are using modded version. For example: Guy, who made this mod, just said - "I`m going to school and I don`t have time to support this mod" - and... WTF?! You can`t do anything :P You can`t update your board so easily, because mod caused so much changes to code. You can`t downgrade - database is not coimpilant with "vanilla" version. You can`t even switch to another board, because converter works with vanilla version only.

So lack of features or many problems - your choice with phpbb.
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

Phpbb does not store passwords in plaintext.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Fnordia wrote:Phpbb does not store passwords in plaintext.
Phpbb wins! :-)
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Personally, i dont see any reason to change forum engine. Well exept for upgrading to the next ver of phpbb when that gets out. :roll:
Ulpian

Post by Ulpian »

// Phpbb does not store passwords in plaintext.

But is sends plaintext password just after registering. Rest of problems I described are still actual.

Anyway, as we can see, at least one admin saw this thread and knows what I (and other formuers) have to say ;) For me that is enough. Staff will decide to change forum engine or not.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”