Autodeletion of builds & types of buildbot (split from end of maintenance branch) - Page 3

Autodeletion of builds & types of buildbot (split from end of maintenance branch)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

ThinkSome

Re: The end of the maintenance branch

Post by ThinkSome »

abma wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 19:42
When was the last time TurBoss and Dansan connected to that server? I don't recall ever seeing Dansan on the official lobby server and the last time I noticed TurBoss was over a year ago. (Though I haven't been particularly active in the last 6 months, either).
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

gajop wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 11:45
Going from Mantis to GitHub issues would be a step back, not forward. What weyou need is a custom bugtracker where players can submit issues in the lobby clients. A single bug tracker for the engine and all the lobby clients/games, where issues are then sorted to whom they belong (sub-trackers?).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

ThinkSome wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 06:49
gajop wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 11:45
Going from Mantis to GitHub issues would be a step back, not forward.
How so? Github issues is quite robust and referencing codelines directly as well as entire individual files is a big win (as well as embeds, and a bunch of other nifty features). Not to mention line comments (although that doesn't technically fall within the scope of github comments, but once again, they can be directly referenced).

What significantly moire powerful functions exist in mantis that aren't available in github issues?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Forboding Angel wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 10:31
Why do I get the feeling that people pushing for Github suffer from the "There is only GitHub" condition?

Tell me, can I make SpringLobby automatically open GitHub issues without having the lobby user create a GitHub account? Can I move GitHub issues between repos? Can I save GitHub issues to local hard drive? Can I restore those issues to another service?
ivand

Post by ivand »

You can do it all. Please split.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Can I? The last time I backed-up springlobby org, the best downloader I could find operated by scraping the issues through the API and had no uploader, not even back to GitHub.

Not being able to easily save and restore to/from a local disk = big no no from me.
ivand

Post by ivand »

Check out https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/CrashReports/issues and trace back the source files on how it operates.
I expect someone being so fanatic about open source to be able to master wget jq and elementary level bash scripting.
Silentwings

Re: Autodeletion of builds & types of buildbot (split from end of maintenance branch)

Post by Silentwings »

ivand wrote: Please split.
Done.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

ThinkSome wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 06:39
AF wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 15:22
I recognise that Abma is the weak link and that something must be done, but not by increasing dependency on proprietary services. GitHub is not the only service out there, similar features are offered by GitLab and SourceHut, which are (respectively) semi and fully free software and can be self-hosted if they go bad. There are also multiple gitlab CE hosts out there where the project could move "at a moment's notice". Gitea and gogs perhaps also offer CI functionality. There are a lot of options out there that do not involve depending on proprietary services.
Don't let your 'perfect' be the enemy of good.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: Autodeletion of builds & types of buildbot (split from end of maintenance branch)

Post by raaar »

There should be clear instructions on how to build the engine for the various platforms (preferably from a single linux repository).
Triggering engine builds automatically is a nice thing to have, but there should be a working fallback that does not rely on any external service.

Each game dev that stuck around for a while should get the option to flag engine N engine builds to prevent them from being automatically deleted.

Each game dev should have the option to submit N engine builds which could be flagged as unofficial but allowed to be downloaded automatically through the official infrastructure.
(this could allow builds from branches or forks to coexist along the official engine..but might end up having the same issues as forks would : diverging engines and less incentive for the official engine devs to work)

There should be a standard way for people to have servers that act as mirrors for the spring content api. What do i have to do to use my web server to provide this service? Technically there could be some mirror list somewhere and people could add or remove their server from the list even if it only hosts a limited set of manually uploaded content.

Btw, about the auto-deletion, I smell that cancelling it is as easy as putting a # before the relevant line on some cron file...
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@raaar:

what are you talking about?

we have to many people who talk about how things should be.

"howto setup the a build environment for spring": https://springrts.com/wiki/Buildbot:LXC

what do you mean with "spring content api"?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

people harass you now because things broke and stayed broken for too long and noone else was able to fix them, we don't do this for fun.

I know you're not getting paid for this and have other things to do, I thank you for your efforts and am fine with ocasionally waiting a few days for broken infrastructure services, maybe a week. Not a month. The auto-deletion thing seems like a problem that should be easily avoidable...

by "content api" i mean a web service like
https://api.springfiles.com/

If me or someone else wants a server they control to act as a content source for lobbies (this is relevant here as engine builds are also downloadable packages), what do we need to do?

I'll try to test the build environment instructions on the short term.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

raaar wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 03:46 people harass you now because things broke and stayed broken for too long and noone else was able to fix them, we don't do this for fun.
thats funny, because most of the stuff i maintain in the spring world wasn't made by me. Instead they should blame theirself for not fixing it or at least they should try to help to fix it. i have the impression that people forgot how open-source/gpl'ed projects works.
raaar wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 03:46 If me or someone else wants a server they control to act as a content source for lobbies (this is relevant here as engine builds are also downloadable packages), what do we need to do?
try to setup https://github.com/spring/upq + help with https://github.com/spring/upq/issues/58 and allow pr-downloader to use multiple / custom sources.

also: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=33804
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

raaar wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 01:22Each game dev should have the option to submit N engine builds which could be flagged as unofficial but allowed to be downloaded automatically through the official infrastructure.
(this could allow builds from branches or forks to coexist along the official engine..but might end up having the same issues as forks would : diverging engines and less incentive for the official engine devs to work)
uuuuuhm, quick reminder on the current situation:
-engine devs restricted stable 103.0 on server in a way that was effectively a ban. reason: they want to see latest version used.
Some users are falling over backwards to come up with more reasons (because devs have since stayed silent on the topic).

-stables 98.0 was also blocked by springlobby . reason displayed to players is: "Spring 98.0 is broken, refusing to join battle."
It seems some wrongly compiled lobby client crashed when joining 98.0 battles. (somehow some broken lobbies justifies a complete ban for everyone.)
Later it was banned server side too. Ever wondered what happend to XTA and Planet Annhilation? There was not as much as outrage as when BA was banned because players just silently stopped playing.

Now you suggest that they allow hosting of forked engines. Or keep old test-versions for download. What makes you think they would allow that? It goes against everything they have said and done previously. Official, stable release versions are bannded! And you dream of hosting unofficial or old versions?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i stop reading this: this leads to nothing.
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

yes,that is what I have been telling people since the start.
They fantasize about this and that but the relevant people never read it anyway.

Like the "Autohosts operating non-downloadable engines" thread, hosts are still broken because those with power refuse to disable this script:
https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... cleanup.sh
That is the script that has deleted spring community.
change AGE=120 to AGE=999999 and re-upload latest test-version.
They did not want to to do it.
Issue on mantis was closed, too, no change.
Or banning of old engine versions: Refusing to change their opinion despite the visible damage done to games and community.
abma wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 08:31also: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=33804
Maybe if there were not so many unpopular decisions then more people would be willing to contribute.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

did anyone try to fix it? is there a pull request which fixes the script so some builds are kept?

locking this thread & moved to offtopic, i see this only as trolling. the next trolling post in one of the "Development" forums will lead to an instant ban.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”