More "BA" questions, split from The end of the maintenance branch - Page 4

More "BA" questions, split from The end of the maintenance branch

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: More "BA" questions, split from The end of the maintenance branch

Post by Forboding Angel »

Forb has been asked not to speak for BA
First of all, I never claimed to speak for BA. Second of all, I don't need permission to state my opinions. If you don't like said opinions, then kindly go fuck yourself because no one else cares.
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

Super Mario wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 02:09
MasterBel:
In your posts you give four reasons to ban old versions:
1) "hosting old versions is a liability."
How so?
There is a thing calledSoftware Maintenance cost.
Please explain which points apply to spring's situation?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

saturnV wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 13:22
Super Mario wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 02:09
MasterBel:
In your posts you give four reasons to ban old versions:
1) "hosting old versions is a liability."
How so?
There is a thing calledSoftware Maintenance cost.
Please explain which points apply to spring's situation?
Read the entire thing.
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

I usually do not read long ass texts that people post without further explaination.
In this case I had done it and I think nothing applies to old spring versions. Thanks for wasting my time. Now another empty reply from you.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

saturnV wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 21:03 I usually do not read long ass texts … without further explaination.
FYI, the "Further explanation" is the long texts.
That aside, you can usually get a decent idea from the introduction.
Anyway, it generally makes it clear that you're not looking to learn when you refuse to ingest information. And at some point people stop talking with someone who refuses to learn, we just stop talking. Because it's more productive to try to fix problems than to talk to people who won't listen.
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

ok, I will be more blunt because you do not get it:
none of the cost points mentioned in that article apply to players being allowed to play old spring versions.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

saturnV wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 03:34 ok, I will be more blunt because you do not get it:
none of the cost points mentioned in that article apply to players being allowed to play old spring versions.
That's entirely different, but anyway oh yes it does apply. Things like having to cope with in-engine exploits, or cope with support requests from new players who do not understand that all the bugs that they're reporting were already fixed in a new version. Plus increased moderation requirements and all that jazz.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

The BA crew could maintain a branch of engine spun off from 103.0. Lobby already supports multiple engine branches, so this should be 0 effort to accomodate them.

Sounds like a win-win, they get to play 103* on the official server, bug fixes get backported from 104+ to not ruin Spring's already ruined image and Mac and slowputer players can play again.
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

ThinkSome wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 11:11 The BA crew could maintain a branch of engine spun off from 103.0. Lobby already supports multiple engine branches, so this should be 0 effort to accomodate them.
Sure, the devs who banned official stable versions will sure allow hosting unofficial forks and/or old versions. :lol:
MasterBel wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 05:39
saturnV wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 03:34 ok, I will be more blunt because you do not get it:
That's entirely different, but anyway oh yes it does apply. Things like having to cope with in-engine exploits, or cope with support requests from new players who do not understand that all the bugs that they're reporting were already fixed in a new version. Plus increased moderation requirements and all that jazz.
on exploits I had already written viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42382&p=596462&hil ... it#p596462:
"I know of one exploit to close/crash hosts. It was rarely abused and imo is not very relevant.
There is one other exploit regarding antinukes. Someone from BA10-team tried to spread it so that BA9 would die from cheaters. That failed and is also not relevant.
"
Do you know of more exploits? Relevant ones? Want to argue that those two cases are relevant?
cope with support requests from new players who do not understand that all the bugs that they're reporting were already fixed in a new version
Where are those confused players you speak of? Please link the bug reports that players spam over old versions bugs ? Where are the players who are so dumb "they do not understand all the bugs that they're reporting were already fixed in a new version"? Or is that just something that never happend and you just made it up?
Plus increased moderation requirements
What?
Do you mean moderators are overwhelmed by having to close the flood of invalid bug reports? :roll:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”