The United States versus the United Kingdom

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Which spelling is the only true spelling?

Poll ended at 19 Mar 2006, 09:28

Good olde British Empire english
39%
Colorful American english
17%
WTF ? 1337 Speak rulez !!!!!!
11%
I really, really don┬┤t give a damn
33%

Total votes: 54

SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Ok, I made this Topic for all the people who started discussing it in "Internationalization of the Wiki" .
So: which spelling is better ? British or American english? Which country is superior? And should the USA have lost the War for Independence?
And finally: who the hell gives a damn ? Not me anyway, but post away (and please leave the other thread on topic...).
Just for your entertainment I´ve decided to add a poll as well :D.

P.S. to the mods: I do realize this is waaaaay of topic, but I reconed people aren´t going to switch threads if I posted this in the Off Topic forum. I´m not going to hate you for moving it though :D.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

English... is strangly enough, english. We dam well invented it. So ofcourse it should be in English (UK) not english (US) cause the US english is crap. :P

And were better than the US anyway. Were way more l337.

Talking of which, maybe the wiki should be in l337. OMG, thts t pwnz!!1!!1!

aGorm
LathanStanley

Re: The United States versus the United Kingdom

Post by LathanStanley »

SeanHeron wrote:Ok, I made this Topic for all the people who started discussing it in "Internationalization of the Wiki" .
So: which spelling is better ? British or American english? Which country is superior? And should the USA have lost the War for Independence?
And finally: who the hell gives a damn ? Not me anyway, but post away (and please leave the other thread on topic...).
Just for your entertainment I´ve decided to add a poll as well :D.

P.S. to the mods: I do realize this is waaaaay of topic, but I reconed people aren´t going to switch threads if I posted this in the Off Topic forum. I´m not going to hate you for moving it though :D.
Spelling is better? neither, but American wins by popularity...

America is superior, we have more tanks... but we are respectful of Britian... they are the motherland and our forefathers... we will fight and die by their side...

Should we have lost the war for indepedance....?? it dosen't matter... we're like the British... we'll fight ya to get out if you don't sit on our head and lock us down... besides... we woulda just started a second, third, etc. war until we won... :P

the whole war started cause Britian was just TOO damn far away to rule effectively... we needed our own rule, with Britian as a permanent ally, which I think has come around nicely...
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

English obviously, as Lathan said American English is a mere offshoot of our pretty language, more pleasing to the common man than the smart one (words appear to be spelt correctly lol). but having said that english is definately still better since it SPAWNED american english :D
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

there is one thing that Americans do better, without a doubt...

BUILD ROADS! :P
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

American english is the international standard because that's what's used for tagphrazing and buisiness transactions. However, I think you'd be pretty dumb not to be able to read both, so I don't think it's worth putting the effort into editing the wiki one way or the other. That's part of the flavor of a wiki, you get the voice tone and quirks of every individual author in each artical. I think it would be rediculous to expect american authors to try to hold british spelling standards when writing, and the same way around for UKers. If someone were to go through the wiki and edit stuff one way or the other I could really care less. Let them waste thier time.

Min, you speak half 1337 all the time anyways.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

agreed with the roads. i use |337 because its fun :>
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I really don't give a damn...

There's not too much difference between American Englissh and England's...englandish.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Oddly enough, language in colonies tends to develop more conservatively than in the mother country. You can see this I SPanish, English, and Portuguese, with a great deal of archaic usage that's been abandoned in Europe preserved in the New World. So American English is, oddly enough, more traditional than British English.

Regarding spelling, it is past time cor complete spelling reform in the English language. Let's get Spring on the vanguard and start spelling everything fonetikaly.

Tugethr wi kan meik a difruns.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

no, fo uv thu be, becuz thu Romun Alfubet iz not mad (maed, made, maid? git mi point?) for fonetik speling.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

No, you see, the rael ticrk is to srmabcle the ltertes aornud so taht it looks lkie cmoltpee jsibersbh, but yet, you can siltl udstranend me. Tihs is no ticrk, its waht the hmaun barin can do with wdros it sees.

pettry nftiy eh?

jsut my .02$ :wink:
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I thought we were debating the flag?
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

LathanStanley wrote:No, you see, the rael ticrk is to srmabcle the ltertes aornud so taht it looks lkie cmoltpee jsibersbh, but yet, you can siltl udstranend me. Tihs is no ticrk, its waht the hmaun barin can do with wdros it sees.

pettry nftiy eh?

jsut my .02$ :wink:
are yuo sueggetsnig taht we all cahange all our lganugae to Aalnatai-Spaek?

lrod hlpe us all...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

AD speak si not based on simply jumbling up the letters, and keeping the first and last the same, on the cotnrary it's about making consistent errors swapping syllables around such as ng -> gn, if -> fi, iv -> vi, nd ->dn etc....
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

there is one thing that Americans do better, without a doubt...

BUILD ROADS!
I KNEW youd bring taht up after last night!!!

That roundabout was the most amazing thing ever though... (the one in england... :P )

aGorm
Tired

Post by Tired »

I'll hate you for moving the topic though, mods.

Honestly, shouldn't those given to prefer one sort of English over another at least be proficient in the form that they prefer? As we colorful US types are wont to say, you all spell for poop. =P
Gurkha

Post by Gurkha »

firstly, Americans do not build the best roads, Germans do.
Most of the Autobahn system was built 60 years ago and is still working beautifully.

On the matter of language, I'd say use the wikipedia's rule - use either style, just make sure to keep it constant in each article, and if you ever have reason to write about something pertaining to one country or the other, use that country's style.

-Gurkha
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

Gurkha wrote:firstly, Americans do not build the best roads, Germans do.
right :)

also in another thread someone wrote that americans are the better drivers than germans. Thats absolutely wrong.
In america you have VERY BIG streets cause you have the space for that. Also you have fat cars.
And i remember that you have MUCH more car accidents than we have in germany (sure per person).
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Optimus Prime wrote:
Gurkha wrote:firstly, Americans do not build the best roads, Germans do.
right :)

also in another thread someone wrote that americans are the better drivers than germans. Thats absolutely wrong.
In america you have VERY BIG streets cause you have the space for that. Also you have fat cars.
And i remember that you have MUCH more car accidents than we have in germany (sure per person).
Remember to control for cars per capita.
siborg

Post by siborg »

well, im from Australia. And i think we follow the british spelling. So, I'll go with that one. (not that i've noticed that much difference)

EXCEPT for the way the americans say ALL-U-MIN-I-UM. for those that have never noticed it they, pronounce it ALL-U-MIN-UM. But that's not a spelling thing, is it? Do the americans spell it Alluminum or Alluminium?

There we go, who cares anyway... at least we speak the same language.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”