post your SupCom predictions/opinions

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Supreme Commander

hot, or
72%
not?
28%

Total votes: 36

Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

is the hype around supCom starting to annoy anyone else?
besides the general stubborn refusal of spring i get from that site... like we're "impure TA lovers" also bugs me

ok so i never played original TA in my life... i lie i played it once round a friends house..
[EDIT] tho i havnt played SupCom either

the point is a predictions pole ... supreme commander will it be hott or not?

will it follow the shitty sequel trend.. has chris lost his touch.. is he taking the TA thing 1 step too far?

or is chris the lord and master (like foamy if you will) after all he created OTA the original that is still played to this day even if it is bad after something THAT good he still will produce the best game of the year... i mean c'mon this year weve had shit games out 50cent bulletproof..

oh actually will it compete with UT2007...even tho no1 will be able to run it until 2012.. (when i think the next 1 is being released)

anyway waddya think?
Last edited by Dead.Rabit on 24 Feb 2006, 19:47, edited 2 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

cry me a river dude, I don't care about your little griefer session. Chris talyor will do a good job and I will still play spring.

You are so close minded to think that spring currently can compete with the RTS games that are out there. NOT yet. Hell I play C&C generals and warcraftIII still. Just another game.

Get over it if you find that there is anti-spring sentementality.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

hey, your poll is missing a choice: "I haven't played Supreme Commander, so I can't really say."
More people ought to take that attitude =\
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm excited about sup com but I'm not going to stop playing and pimping spring because of it.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I'm getting tired of people acting as if Chris Taylor is in fact a deity (perhaps he's ChrisT?)

The publishing company is in this to make as large a profit as possible. How do you make a huge profit nowadays? Generate large amounts of hype and have pretty graphics. What is a surefire way to reduce your profit? Spending a considerable amount of time on gameplay, because the more programmer time you put into the project, the less profit you make.

I do not care if whatever publisher publishes SupCom is affiliated in whatever way with Chris Taylor. Chris Taylor is in this to make a profit, too (and from the looks of it, a really f*cking big one).

Oh, and I can guarantee you that it's going to require some unreasonably high system specs because of inoptimization. After all, if the NVIDIA GEFORCE 8918230192310000 MXZRQNVFX+++ ULTRA EXTREME EDITION is available and can render 9.487102348 x 10^34 polies at 3400 FPS, then developers WILL use all of that capacity, regardless of what the graphics card costs.

I will stop here, because I sense a rant about modern graphics-obsessed gaming coming on.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

my tendacy is to agree with felix here.
malric

Post by malric »

I agree with FizWizz. Is there any demo at least for the game ?

And another question (as I see a lot of people are concerned and informed about SupCom). Will it run on linux ? (I don not have windows, and with spring running native my linux become a gaming machine also ;) )
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

move to off-topic?

These threads are so pointless, they belong there IMO :)
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

off topic it should.

As for Sup Com.
Well, I do want to play it. Won't say I leave Spring behind.
Though I do fear many players (notably the new players) will abbandon Spring and play Sub Com instead (is that bad?)
Cyberwal

Post by Cyberwal »

I do think (and hope) Supcom will be great.

Why? Chris Taylor came up with TA 10 years ago, so he's bound to have some great ideas. And about the "hype", meh. The hype is generated by the people themselves, I haven't seen extensive hyping by gpg or something like that, only a couple of interviews and screenshots.

As for a demo: The game is scheduled for release in early 2007 now, of course there's no demo! What do you expect? Afaik they'll have videos and stuff on E³ this year, so expect a bunch of new infos by may or whenever E³ is again.

And I don't think the game will be "all about graphics", simply because they released some beautiful screenshots. And what's wrong with a game that looks good?
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

this is a general discussion topic.. in the general discussion forum is it not?

im not trying to say that spring is the RTS to end all RTS but none theless it is the first to market stratergy games in the correct way IMO the whole this is an online only (pretty much) game is what RTS should be all about.. not an online feature as a filler for the end
im a fan of Earth 2160 myself.. something about aliens attracts me.

but this is besides the point i just want to know if people buy into the SupCom hype... personally i dont .. i wouldnt mind being proven wrong but i believe it will cock it up.. soon after people figure out the AI. and tbh i think "ChrisT" (felix quote) has passed it also.

also it will probably melt my CPU and my G-card will be crippled like an old man and get alsthymers and wet itself randomly.

as for the players to leave i think it will be the more TA faithful to leave and the noobs pple.. and tbh it doesnt matter so long as spring survives..

also if you dont have anything relevent to the post to type and just a fistful of sarc/insults to throw in please just dont bother.. the pesamism here is starting to pi*s me off.

if u have no opinion please go suck a lemon in some other post =]
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

lol

Spring will lag behidn in supcom for a month and people will make decisions, some will flock to supcom, but we'r opensource and Chris Taylor ahs a thign about makign an rts moddable to extremes.

So it wont be long before theres source code to open every format of every file supcom has, and it wont be long before they're itnegrated into spring and supcom support will be ours for free and supcom supporters willc ome back and we'll surpaass most if nto all supcom has to offer and we'll outlive the game
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Felix the Cat wrote:I'm getting tired of people acting as if Chris Taylor is in fact a deity (perhaps he's ChrisT?)

The publishing company is in this to make as large a profit as possible. How do you make a huge profit nowadays? Generate large amounts of hype and have pretty graphics. What is a surefire way to reduce your profit? Spending a considerable amount of time on gameplay, because the more programmer time you put into the project, the less profit you make.

I do not care if whatever publisher publishes SupCom is affiliated in whatever way with Chris Taylor. Chris Taylor is in this to make a profit, too (and from the looks of it, a really f*cking big one).

Oh, and I can guarantee you that it's going to require some unreasonably high system specs because of inoptimization. After all, if the NVIDIA GEFORCE 8918230192310000 MXZRQNVFX+++ ULTRA EXTREME EDITION is available and can render 9.487102348 x 10^34 polies at 3400 FPS, then developers WILL use all of that capacity, regardless of what the graphics card costs.

I will stop here, because I sense a rant about modern graphics-obsessed gaming coming on.

Ah.... progress!

PS: I think sup com will be how it is, when it comes out. If it comes out.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Felix the Cat wrote:The publishing company is in this to make as large a profit as possible. How do you make a huge profit nowadays? Generate large amounts of hype and have pretty graphics. What is a surefire way to reduce your profit? Spending a considerable amount of time on gameplay, because the more programmer time you put into the project, the less profit you make.

If you look at the SupCom screenshot, you'll see that some are pretty bland, even ugly. If you read or hear some interview of Chris Taylor, you'll see he's mostly concerned with interfaces and gameplay.

That doesn't mean SupCom will be good or bad, but at least so far it's my best hope of having a RTS which isn't yet another WarcraftII clone, with the same outdated interface.
Cyberwal

Post by Cyberwal »

I mean when you look at TA, they even didn't think about a story because they thought more about the game mechanics.. that has to say something :P
Flint

Post by Flint »

I'm looking very forward to Supcom, I think its great that hes decided to revive TA. But also there are a couple of points here I have to make. First of all profit is not his major motive, he doesnt work for EA games after all. His developer team is not very large and THQ is not being pushy about timing a release. Furthermore a game like this is a huge undertaking, I think some of you guys are discrediting the insane amount of work that has to go into producing a successfull game especialy a sequal to a game with a large built-in community hungry for perfection.

Chris Taylor has proven his abilities, and hes not a fatcat in an armchair trying to rush a game out the door. I think Supreme Commander will be a lot of fun, dont be so pessimistic fellas.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

It's going to be intresting to see how the relation between Spring and GpG develops.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Of course he wants to make a profit - making games is his livehood - you think he spends years of his life making a game for the good of his health, or so a whining, miserable numpty like yourself can have it for free?

jeez, some people just piss me off

no CT - no spring - this is just ota with bells and whistles in case you didnt notice?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

zwzsg wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:The publishing company is in this to make as large a profit as possible. How do you make a huge profit nowadays? Generate large amounts of hype and have pretty graphics. What is a surefire way to reduce your profit? Spending a considerable amount of time on gameplay, because the more programmer time you put into the project, the less profit you make.

If you look at the SupCom screenshot, you'll see that some are pretty bland, even ugly. If you read or hear some interview of Chris Taylor, you'll see he's mostly concerned with interfaces and gameplay.

That doesn't mean SupCom will be good or bad, but at least so far it's my best hope of having a RTS which isn't yet another WarcraftII clone, with the same outdated interface.
The sea battles look a fair bit better then spring and there is some nice looking explostion and propulsion effects (plus transparentcies in textures) but other then when massively zoomed out and being nuked the ground battles don't really do much that spring doesn't already.
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Im taking it cool and waiting til the game comes out before I judge it. I hope its gonna be cool though.
Maybe not as a new TA but as a good rts on its own. New good rts´s have been few in the later years.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”