About the Danish Caricatures of Muhammed

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think of the publication and the defense of these cartoons?

I am Ambivalent towards it
6%
I Support it
52%
I Disapprove of it
9%
I have Mixed Feelings
33%

Total votes: 33

FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

If you've been watching, reading, or hearing the news lately, no doubt you're aware of what the following banner is referring to:
Personally, I find the cartoons almost completely innocuous, the worst of them having a small 'jab' to them, and the others being completely harmless.
Of course, in understanding why the uproar in the Muslim world over this is so large, you have to keep in mind that visual depictions of the prophet Muhammed is absolutely forbidden in Islam (this caricature plays on that), and the fact that these depictions are satirical certainly does not help.
What does everyone else think about this?
[edit] To show support for Denmark, I resolve to eat at least one Danish every day until the whole thing blows over. :P Danishes ftw[/edit]
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I think the Islamic believe has a large problem with its image atm.
9/11, Madrid, Theo van Gogh butchered, London, now this cartoon problem.

You would expect some sort of outcry from the "normal" Muslims against this.
But that's not really the case...
Well, it's not my religion that's going down the drain.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The islamic reaction is in ym opinion horrendous, especialyl the fact they're blaming the danish rather than the publishers. It shows just how different there perception are and how they fail to see western ideals because they're putting them onto a framework that by our standards is centuries out fo date. Yet I see that even brittish muslims where protesting outside the Danish UK embassy.

The islamic reaction was horendous, and I am surprised newspapres across europe avent reprinted the cartoons as a sign fo defiance against supression of free speech.

I see their viewpoint though, and I can see they've been insulted, but did the brittish embassy in italy get burned when the life fo brian was released? That was far more 'blasphemous' than these caricatures.

That and good luck to the author, whose had the original book go through 3 reprints in the last 2 weeks and is selling faster than any other book.

That and f*ck you to the fools who printed 9500 copies of a welsh student newspaper with these caricatures in but where forced to recollect every single copy by unviersity staff who wanted to be PC
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Eh.

Its just a cartoon, one that i haven't seen.

It is perfectly within their (the cartoonists) rights to make fun of and criticizes and satirize anything and everything he wants too.

For example: Its okay for someone to make a really neo-nazi cartoon.

But its also within OUR rights (including Muslims) to criticizes and satirize and ridicule and make fun of the fore said cartoon.

For example: Its okay for me to hold a rally booing Neo-Nazisizem and denouncing the comic.

So the Muslim community is perfectly within their rights to be complaining. I would be offended if someone made fun of atheisms...in fact that happened once when i was a freshman in high school. This evangelical guy said i was going to hell. I burst into tears and went home. Then my dad cheered me up by saying "It'll be really hard to go to a place that doesn't exists"

Yeah...my dad is great...

PS: Another fun pastime of his is to deconstruct movies, pointing out plot holes and logical errors. His favored genera's to do this to are Star Trek and those crappy Sci-fi movie's that have something like "We must recalibrate the interociter to escape the ionosphere of this sun!" or some hogwash like that...
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

The main problem is not the cartoons itself, but the cartoons the muslims themself released. The newspaper printed 12 of them, with only 1 showing Muhammed. In the Muslim world, atm there are 15 cartoons. 3 of them were made by muslims, and far more insulting. That's one big part of the problem.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Its cartoonists jobs to make satirical and often outright offencive cartoons.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Does anyone know if I can find an english translation of the Muslim/Islamic holy scriptures? I'd really like to find out if Mohammed really told them to kill us all or not... it would nice to know for sure. I suspect that they don't exist, it's pretty easy to draw comparissons between these extreamists and the Catholic church of the time of the spanish inqusition and the crusades... and back then you got burned at the stake for suggesting translating the Bible...
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I've seen them, just ask a mosque for one, no doubt they'll be more than willing to oblige.

The spanish inquisition was hundreds of years ago, I thought we would have matured since then, appart from the occasional silly mustached slipup. :roll:
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Yeah, nowadays if you get killed for being a hericitc, the chatholic church dosnt get their grubby hands on your property!

TAKE THAT YOU SOB'S!

(Note: I dont not not not like the chatholic church)
mother

Post by mother »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

The one good thing about bible type things- they're soooooo out of copywrite.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Freedom of speech is good. But the cartoonists didn't had any clue people might get upset by it? You could think such a thing over, before publiching it.
Of course they didn't intent to harm anyone. But for the gouverment to say 'Freedom of speech' and not to say somewhere along with it, that they don't stand behind harming people with it, is kinda...
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

There is the issue of Free Speech vs. 'Responsible' Speech, of drawing the line for offensive material, of 'upsetting' people and 'harming' people, and then there is also the utterly barbaric response by the biggest bunch of thin-skinned unquestionable raving fanatics you could imagine.

"In Gaza, an angry crowd screamed "God is great," and an imam told 9,000 worshippers that the hands of those who drew the cartoons should be severed."

""Bin Laden our beloved, Denmark must be blown up," protestors in Ramallah shouted, Associated Press reported."

"In Islamabad, Pakistan, about 800 people shouted "Death to Denmark" and "Death to France" while around 1,200 people demonstrated in the southern city of Karachi.
The country's parliament condemned the drawings as "vicious" in a unanimous vote."

"After weekly prayer services in Iraq, about 4,500 people held a rally in Basra while hundreds in Baghdad demonstrated outside of a mosque, AP reported. The protestors burned the Danish flag and threw Danish-made products into the flames."

"At the Danish embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, more than 150 protestors pushed passed security into the building's lobby demanding an apology for the cartoons.
They were unable to get up to the embassy on the 25th floor but they did tear the Danish flag down and set it on fire. They also pelted the embassy with eggs."

""Hands that reach Islam must be broken," a group of Muslims chanted outside of an Istanbul mosque, AP reported."

But not everyone is bad, take as an example: "Syed Soharwardy, of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada, appeared on Canada AM Friday saying that Canadian Muslims were upset but that they were dealing with the situation constructively, by emailing and phoning officials.
"The Muslims in Canada, they are outraged," Soharwardy said. "They are expressing their anger through peaceful means├óÔé¼┬ª they are protesting against these horrible cartoons that have offended Muslims around the world.""

Damn, you'd think the Great American Devil bombed Mecca, but nope, a set of cartoons was published in a few newspapers.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

IMO everyone is overeacting on this

Make them all to learn spring and fight it out online :D
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

NOiZE wrote:IMO everyone is overeacting on this

Make them all to learn spring and fight it out online :D
good plan :P
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I like Noize's plan!

I'll take on the entire muslim comminity at once!
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Need better documentaition then. A new GUI would be nice for them ^.^'
C'on devs, for the sake of humanity!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It may be the danes right to publish such pictures, it may be the right of islam to protest but arson and violent protest and other such attrocities commited by islamic people in rpotest is ludicours.

America was condemned for flushing a copy of the koran down the toilet in guntanimo, yet why did islamic people react so violently to their prophet being shown in an image, even though it is the words of the prophet himself and not the koran that forbade his depiction.

It's like jesus saying "the bible is sacred and no harm must come to a bible for ti is holy, you can never draw a picture of me EVER, btw dont put this in the bible", so they dont put it in the bible, and oneday a muslim cleric flushes a bible down the toilet so we all say, ooh that's bad, then an islamic newsletter in the middle east shows a picture of jesus doing cartwheels with a cross so we all go bonkers and boycott middle eastern products causing economic problems, we burn the embassies of islamic countries, and harass people who live ther eor who are of middle eastern identity, and behave intolerably.

hmm I think the reaction by the islamic faith was intolerable. I guess bombing mecca with B-52's wouldnt have as big a reaction as flying posters of muhammed as a suicide bomber over the middle eastern countries and other islamic countries would provoke.

So many say they follow islam yet they take part in activities which contradict it. It's like christians going on crusades, or the sort of things you'd find in nazi philosophy.
Min3mat

fdsa

Post by Min3mat »

lol. even better than NOiZE remaking that map just so that the feature thingey in the middle can be fixed with the new spring vsn lol
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I'd like to point out that there is a frieze in the US Supreme Court's courtroom depicting Muhammad, in the role of an historic lawgiver:

Should this depiction of Muhammad without a veiled or obscured face be removed, in order to make the courtroom a more comfortable place for Muslims?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Yes, absolutely, you should send that information to some islamic newspapers cause the only reason they arn't burning the place down right now is that they don't know.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”