Re: Common accounts for the entire spring ecosystem?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Split from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36940#p586976
You do realize how incredibly ignorant you sound right now?
Please avoid personal insults and try to follow advice on https://springrts.com/wiki/Forum_Etique ... _criticism.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

That is not a personal insult.

Saying "you sound incredibly ignorant right now" is nowhere near the same as "you are ignorant".

There are many times in life that we all are ignorant and we make ignorant statements, but that doesn't make the whole of our persons ignorant. You really need to grasp nuance. It's important.

This is directly parallel to a conversion that goes like this:

A: it must be x, what else could it be?

B: that is an argument from ignorance. If you don't know what it could be, the correct answer is 'i don't know'.

A: oh so you're calling me ignorant now?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

"You do realize how incredibly ignorant you sound right now?" contains no constructive comment, no recognition of subjectivity, and could easily be construed as offensive by the person it is aimed at. Consequently, it is not an acceptable response.

Agonizing over whether such a case should be labelled as a 'personal insult' seems evasive. I do take your point that there is some ambiguity, and of course we can agree that if you really must insult someone, it is often percieved as less insensitive to insult their conduct/actions, rather than to simply insult the person directly. (However, in both cases it is gramatically correct to describe the insult as as "personal", since it relates to specific persons. Apologies if this made my post unclear to you.)

To clarify: regardless of whether you aim a criticism at a person or at their actions, you should make an effort not to risk sounding insensitive, and in this case I am letting you know that we expect a better effort.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ignotant is not an insult unless you are bullheaded about words. It mearly is indicative that, the person in question lacks knowledge.

Willful ignorance is another matter though.

I am pretty ignorant about spring content dev. Right now forb knows more than me about units in this engine setup. I am ok with him telling me I don’t know what the hell i am talking about wrt that.

It happens. Sometimes people know more than you on a subject. Learn from them.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”