I said I am going to make a game......

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

And After about 3 weeks of research, I knew that Unity was the place to do it. The community is enormous, the video tutorials are endless, the asset store will let me buy all the standard stuff like elves, dwarves, castles, etc, so I can focus on the unique areas of my universe. Sorry Spring.

I can not reveal a whole lot at the moment. I will first make the RTS component, as that is what I first visioned. My dream is to build a game that makes you focus on tactics and micro, with power gain to require sacrifice of field position. Three basic resources: Will, Magic, and Energy.

The upper game (Strategic) will determine what forces are fielded on the battle map, and what the battle map is like.

The lower game (RPG) will allow you to explore the world in a small team.

Your goals will be to create spells, or cities, or weapons, maybe even custom fighting moves.

I hope to limit the amount of killing. Fight or flight will be very strong.
Your forces will follow your commands usually. It depends on your commander/s.

But here are two videos of it at the moment, so far, you see a very basic AI state machine, and many Kryth, one of the races being developed, (The other in development is Seta):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L_ehL61XDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opgjZlXxNs
gajop

Re: I said I am going to make a game......

Post by gajop »

Treason then.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Well you own us a grandmother.
Nobody reads the TOS.
Its clearly right under soul for fitting.

Srsly though coding and realizing a game are equally hard no matter how many torturials there are. We know it because we post those vids and the people watching to the very end are very few.

Its really more about inserting coding in your daily routines- the vision usually turns out to be not fun at all. The problem is that people dream in action or spy movies while you should dream a game like office software to taste out all the annoyances.

I wish you the best, get laid with the engine best fitting and dont become a game design rollin stone.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Good luck
the asset store will let me buy all the standard stuff
If this is what you want - Spring dev is probably not for you!
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

Good luck anyway, the concept seems interesting.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

The RIPWIP of all games.. It died before a single line of code got written
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

not even dead. lines of code are being written.

i will have to die before this project does.

all in.

learning to code while going along is nice. it keeps me focused, because i want this game to live (feel sorry for those who learn coding via accounting apps and scheduling examples) Using SOLID principles, composition, scriptable objects, etc. starting and learning without bad habits.

(although, i am shocked by how hard coding is. reminds me of a time-lapse video i saw of a professional programmer, probably only actually spent 30 minutes coding in an 8 hour day)

anyways, bringing along an army, and clashing with another, would lose a lot of fun. lose the tension of the golly nanolathing in the factory, the big bertha being built and the nuke loading. But i cant have bio beings built in factories, nor do i want to cheese "summon" new streams of units. (although i may go cheese summon route if the other idea fails in the fun department).

instead, i have a whole different system to keep that tension up during the battle, and still not be senseless... (if core and arm can build a krogoth n 30 mins, why arent all planets covered in gantries and vulkans after thousands of years?)

no, this game will make sense, cosmically, magically, militarily.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

wow i didnt know it was possible to make tunnels in games nice
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8M0jpL5kHU
Ares wrote: 29 May 2018, 04:36 wow i didnt know it was possible to make tunnels in games nice
Coming in 2018.3.

This is something I was working on a couple months ago. It is me trying to re-create my favorite spring script (Formation Painting), and some cool looking airships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8M0jpL5kHU
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

This looks wonderful!!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

The airships are beautiful.

Protip: if it works do not rewrite. You will find a whole batch of bugs - unnecessary complexity in your first 10000 locs.

Complete systems used by all units are the worst. Carefully design those interfaces.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

So I ignored your pro-tip, and re-wrote the formation painting, as it was not stable, now it is 100% stable. I also added block, flock and star formations. Block still needs some optimization, but the other two can not possibly be optimized any further.

Although formation painting gives awesome RTS control, in my game, Only units with a conscious (not dead, frozen, etc) commander will be able to formation paint, only intelligent units will be able to block-form.

Discipline/Will will determine how closely packed or far apart flock formations are, how well they line up to a formation painting line, etc...

So bears can only move in flock formations, unless there is a bear king/God, then they can formation paint as well, but never block form.

Anyways, within you will see a lot of monsters I am beginning to implement.
Next, I intend to refine controls for unit select (select all, select all of type, select all of type on screen) etc, etc.
Also, I will probably integrate GAIA, which will give AAA terrain.
Prepare to be blown away, folks.

I said I am going to make a game, and I am going to do it. 2022.

https://youtu.be/Fmkh3EFR4_A
gajop

Post by gajop »

Are all these assets from an asset store?
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

The airships, and two race types are my own. (the ones with the green and blue spirit variants).
The rest are asset store.

Some of the asset store meshes are too high poly for an RTS, so I have to make LoD's for them, which not a *huge* deal in blender.
I will probably make low poly versions of all of them, because I also want a strategy map, which will have possibly tens of thousands of units, buildings, etc.

Which is quite achievable(and will run on old cpus, even mobile fine) if I use an entity component system. Which makes more theoretical sense to me than OOP
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

It has potential.. still.. so much work, to get where you could get with clone zero-k.git..
Also, its very european colourish- as in brown.
Crank up the hue, to appeal to americans and asians.

Yes, i know, one expects praise and gets critic. But hey, in the long run bitcheing means people who want to play it.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

Last edited by NeOmega on 24 Jul 2021, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

Last edited by NeOmega on 24 Jul 2021, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

Ive been working on this game since.
First six months: Blender and shaders
next 2 years: learned to code, experimentation
past year: lots and lots of stuff.

I have spent most of my coding time on the map, although character creation also has taken a huge amount of time.
About a year ago I started implementing a no new feature without a UI policy. This give the players mod making powers.
I am making the game I want to play.

Everything is procedurally generated, except the player's creations.
Reading some old posts here, a lot has changed. I am coding almost everything myself now. Asset store sucks. You can buy the asset, but you still have to plug it into your game... with the asset store creators architecture... which makes things messy, which means lots of time learning somebody else's way of thinking and coding.. ...it just sucks. So I code almost everything myself now.

https://odysee.com/@Planesword:7?

https://youtu.be/5QSeoXSus-c
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

so good, please add tanks

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”