List of staff - Page 2

List of staff

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

triton
Lobby Moderator

Re: List of staff

Post by triton »

I would call you light-troll, or light-pollution poster, and when I post something serious, if you post just after me, people who read active topic might just think, oh another picasso post lets not read it. Am I wrong? I am not playing this forum game much, low ts nub forum user here, plz dont feel offended.

p.s : eheh people might also think the same for my posts, but I hope it's for different reasons :p
Last edited by triton on 15 Apr 2018, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I found that I gradually got better at deciphering Pica's posts, and I didn't find ill intentions in them.

Since our postlove does not allow -1 votes, I hope it wouldn't cause anyone to shy away from difficult topics. In any case, the posts which seem to get the most love are where people actually did stuff, instead of 'just' talking. The most postloved post so far (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36402, I think) was also one of the most controversial.

A quick on-topic fact check:
I don't think that we have any moderator ... been on his seat less than 5 years
Regarding the forum mod usergroup - 3 years plus a few months for me, and I am not the newest (nixtux is). It would be nice if dates of joining/leaving usergroups were listed somewhere, but phpbb seems not to have this functionality.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

Most people that are considered as trollz are just sad people who ask attention. Picasso seems to have artistic brain/behavior, many artists are just people who use their sadness and bad feelings to try to produce some kind of beauty, sharing their feelings makes them more happy, and if they do it well, it also makes others people around more happy?

So my point is that sometimes, it could be considered off-topic or like light-pollution since they try to make people focus on them, but thats very cold reaction maybe.

Do you know the links I've shared? Can you at least understand why showing "official popularity" can bring some biased opinions? Ofc it wont do it on everyone, but it's like marketing, dont think your are out of this game, because marketing do influence your choices.

So yes, to me popularity and ts should only be known by the guy himself. Because then you try to be better than yourself instead of trying to be better than someone else.
Thats what my best sports teacher told me, when I was at school. Don't do competitions with others, do competition with yourself, it's more healthy and that way everybody can improve and win.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

We seem to differ in that you think its a system for rating a persons popularity and I think its a system for saying "thank you for doing/making some useful stuff". I'm happy to see some approximate crowd-sourced count of that. (I would not be happy with a system of "official" anything, or an upvote/downvote system in the style of ZKs forum.)

I'm terminally uncompetitive and disinterested in almost all social media - my impression of this comes from noticing which of our posts get postloved.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

Silentwings wrote:Yes, but we seem to differ in that you think its a system for rating popularity and I think its a system for saying "thank you for doing/making some useful stuff".
No need to do it in public then? When I say thx to someone, I dont usually need to do it in public and this guys is not showing to everyone how many thx he got.

I also refuse to use facebook and stuff. Main reason which decided me to try to improve my "popularity" on internet social craps, like youtube or reddit is because I am activly trying to make more people try BA and have fun using the spring engine.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

No need to do it in public then? When I say thx to someone, I dont usually need to do it in public
E.g. applause, awards for doing stuff, grateful expressions, shaking hands - I don't think there is anything uncommon here, about publicly expressing appreciation.
and this guys is not showing to everyone how many thx he got.
This is a little less clear imo; it's certainly the norm for peoples contributions to a common online project to be publicly counted in some way e.g. ~all forums display post count, github has https://github.com/spring/spring/graphs/contributors, and so on. Ofc postlove differs in that it only increments when another user clicks the little heart, so it is "appreciated activity" rather than just "activity", but imo this doesn't make much difference - it just makes an activity metric more focused on what (crowd sourced) users cared about.

In reponse to AFs post - I am against going the extra step of making (appreciated or unfiltered) activity metrics and/or voting translate into responsbility, as Stack Exchange and others do (https://meta.stackexchange.com/question ... -work?rq=1). I expect it would take a lot of time and effort to find a system of this type that we actually wanted to use, even more to implement it, and I doubt we would gain much, if anything, from having one. Ofc, if we had tens of thousands of users, we'd have no choice.

I would rather that the postlove count was shown on user profiles, instead of in the "miniprofile" next to posts - for me it is something that I want to know, but not something that I want to know very often. Unfortunately this functionality isn't offered by postlove: if it displays a count, it goes in the miniprofile (https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2246576).
gajop

Post by gajop »

Postlove isn't designed to punish controversial behavior, but reward good one, as determined by the community, which is a good thing.
It also reduces spam and saves people the time of writing and reading all the "good job" posts a popular thread or post usually haves.

I still haven't seen any examples of it encouraging some low effort karma farming.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

gajop wrote:I still haven't seen any examples of it encouraging some low effort karma farming.
Probably due more to community size than anything, but I agree.

I absolutely despise reddit's up/down vote system. It encourages circlejerks and low effort posting. Even moreso that the default subreddit viewing is "hot" instead of "new" and cannot be changed by subreddit owners. Because of this, while I use reddit a lot to get latest news in specific areas, I very rarely participate.

Postlove, on the other hand is kinda like a "good Job" or "I agree" button, and imo that makes it very useful and cuts down on otherwise semi-offtopic posts (kinda like what you said).
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

use length of post and and end of discussion after it by 1/followUpPosts factor. Determinate value by lurker praise.

That was the approach i wanted to take with the moddev nn bot.. At last Emanuel..

A system trying to derive meaning from a meaningless conversation will always fail.

All you can watch for is poster roles.. He withbthe question marks is pupil.. He who replyues repeatetly using question keywords is master.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Silentwings wrote:[..] I think its a system for saying "thank you for doing/making some useful stuff".
I can't speak for others, but that's the way I use the hearts in this forum.
I also use them to say "+1", if someone said something I agree with, but I don't want to create a post with just a "+1" in it.
Although it's a heart, I don't use it to express affection. Not knowing the people behind the post, I only refer to their works or words.
So in a very indirect way the hearts accumulate to an indication of my respect for a persons works/words.

The hearts are however directed at the author - as support of opinion / thanks for work. Their purpose (for/from me) is not to give other forum participants an indication of what I feel/think about the author.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

And i thought you love me.. That we would be together.. Sniff.. I stalked you for a year.. Sniff.. I know your parents.. Your garbage can.. I collected a whole jar of samples from your door handle. And even though its only a uni directional love affair it was the real thing. And now you would throw it all away...

Its another stalker.. Isn't it. What does s/he have that i cant offer? Seriously. Is there anyone else who can spread this sense of unease and terror? Tell me.

PS: Definatly disqualified in the eyes of moderators who don't see people as the complex building material they are.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

dansan wrote:I can't speak for others, but that's the way I use the hearts in this forum.
I also use them to say "+1", if someone said something I agree with, but I don't want to create a post with just a "+1" in it.
For the sake of mentioning it, +1 posts used to be relatively common a while back. 7 years ago, or so, when spring had a lot of traffic in general, it was very common. Personally I always disliked making a +1 post because it just felt like adding clutter, but I would do it anyway, along with others, as a way of showing support. /memory lane
Senna

Post by Senna »

Wish i could find some google/youtube staff here :(
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

TOS wrote: For you to be in youtubes staff, youtubes staff has to be in you.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Picasso can dobbyplez all day.

Variety is the spice of life
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 00:06
dansan wrote:I can't speak for others, but that's the way I use the hearts in this forum.
For the sake of mentioning it, +1 posts used to be relatively common a while back. 7 years ago, or so, when spring had a lot of traffic in general, it was very common. Personally I always disliked making a +1 post because it just felt like adding clutter, but I would do it anyway, along with others, as a way of showing support. /memory lane
Also pink text
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I have no idea what happened to this thread.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Staffel oft lisp

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”