RTS creator

RTS creator

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Greetings... ..and help (please)

Post by PicassoCT »

All the bridges that you burn
Come back one day to haunt you
One day you'll find you're walking lonely

Baby I never meant to hurt you
Sometimes the best intentions
Still don't make things right
thomasg81

RTS creator

Post by thomasg81 »

i will be hard on Labbe; he is a scammer.
He left the RTS creator community with no apology or explanation for his absence.
If it was beyond his scope to complete the project for personal reasons there was no shortage of people willing to buy the source code and rights off of him. Instead he decided to ride into the sunset with the money that people paid for his shoddy, unfinished engine.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Life is not always that plannable. Sometimes the doc just looks up ''You are still here? Its colon cancer..' '

Can you link me to a post where he explicitly declares the project to be over and to keep the remaining funds?

Also remember sometimes new devs can code themselves into a corner..
gajop

Post by gajop »

Please don't use this forum to debate other unrelated engines/projects.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Eh, why is it wrong to debate the economics of such a niche product?

Imagine the guy sells 1000 rts creator kits for 10 $ - thats 10000 $.

He releases the kit in :

1. Dez. 2014
Official Release

Now lets assume he does not spend all his time on working on updates, but does have a job in addition for half a week.
So lets assume he lives on the lower end of the average american wage.
4229,666666666667 $ dollares per month.

Half of that comes from his part time programming job.
So a monthly of rts-creator update only costs 2110 $.

That would allow if - you make no profit- for 5 updates. After that is the red sea.
He updates it until 9. Dez. 2015.

Sounds like everyone got what he paid for. Software lives only as long as there are humans nearby stabilizing it.
I do not see the scam, sorry.

@gajop- Perfectly fine topic, so even out of reflex- do not banhammer`or split for once?

PS: Project finances, do not include the time he used to make the creator. I ll assume it was the most expensive hobby- and his ex-gf and all his bar-bros hate him for it.

PS PS: Here he is forking a copyrighted 3d engine. So i guess one could reverse engineer the rts creator.
https://github.com/blabz2007/prime.mod

All in all that engine seems to suck...
thomasg81

Post by thomasg81 »

It was a scam because it was advertised as being able to complete full, 3d RTS games. Given that the free version of Unity (albeit with an assumed knowledge of C# or JS on the users part) can already do this and he expects people to pay for his software, at best he has pulled a dick move. It falls widely of being able fulfill that purpose that because most of the necessary functionality is missing. Partly i blame Steam for not having some kind of warning system to detect and flag products with inactive developers.
As for him not announcing the project was officially over, the fact that the software website was pulled way back last year seems to suggest he got well out of Dodge. Since then, we've had nothing on the Steam community page. Nothing on his youtube channel. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Surely his gf and bar bros wouldn't begrudge him 2 minutes to let us know he's alive and a gold standard release version is in the future.

If his intentions are honest, i hope that someone who knows him points him to this thread and that it spurs him out of silence and I will take back the nasty stuff I said.
I apologise to the moderators of this forum for letting this spill here but i suppose i was hoping that someone who also became interested in Spring on the back of Labbe's disappearance is reading this and is able to empathise with my sentiments.

Hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries as a new poster to point out; I don't really see what harm it makes to mention other engines; since Spring is open source its not competing commercially with other engines and its not under any threat especially not from crap, unfinished jobs charging a fee like the one i mentioned.

Just my final $0.02.

I will shut up about this matter now.
PicassoCT

Re: RTS creator

Post by PicassoCT »

Sentiment is understood.

PS Several Spring Games are on theire way to steam. Some members of the spring community even feel the need to venture to other new engines boards and hold 'how its done' ui lectures. =)

We are not in the visionary position
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 22:34 All the bridges that you burn
Come back one day to haunt you
Nah, bridges i burned, i piss on the ashes.

Most of the rest that are left are good people and I cherish that most of you guys exist in this world

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”