If we where on steam, how could we be news?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Seriously, how could spring become a story that is relevant to all those players out there?

Moral outrage?
Self-Improvement?
Fear & Terror?

Also is there a countdown until Z-K Steam Vent?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: If we where on steam, how could we be news?

Post by zwzsg »

Spring had a chance to hit big maybe a decade ago, but in today overcrowded market, even perfectly good commercial game fails to get noticed.

So forget any dream of grandeur and be happy Spring is still alive albeit niche.

IMO Spring's only chance to not die out is to identify its niches and cultivate them. Could be native linux builds, could be running on old hardware (which is why I think it's a bad idea to change that), we could work on our appeal to A.I. thesis students, we could spin harder on the "make your own RTS in three easy steps".

Or just buy 2000€ V.R. gear set to every engine and ZK dev, and hope to reach the early VR adopter market while they are still hungry! :mrgreen:
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

zwzsg wrote:
IMO Spring's only chance to not die out is to identify its niches and cultivate them. Could be native linux builds, could be running on old hardware (which is why I think it's a bad idea to change that), we could work on our appeal to A.I. thesis students, we could spin harder on the "make your own RTS in three easy steps".
I kind of agree with this, especially the part about running on old hardware. That'd be a niche where our simple models and effects could be a selling point for some of the games : "visuals are simple but light so it runs fine on older machines!".

I think there isn't one particular issue that failed. Market's saturated and people have little patience to deal with issues. There have been too many shortcomings everywhere: games (the ones complex enough to be interesting), engine, lobbies....

It'd be interesting to know the % of players trying to play spring games, how many can't get it to work at all, how many quit after the first impression. See how those % evolve over time.

Spring community isn't growing, but it won't die either if we keep working on it and playing the games.
smoth

Post by smoth »

zwzsg is old and wise.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”