Old bos scripts spitting out invalid piecids? [split]

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

8611z

Post by 8611z »

look at the function mentioned in the message then look what is in that function then look when these conditions get triggered.
smoth wrote:Any thoughts on this?
https://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant- ... s-program/

User was warned for this post, felony 1.

If you don't have something constructive to add, but rather intentionally aggravate, please, don't bother.

-- FLOZi.
8611z

Re: Old bos scripts spitting out invalid piecids?

Post by 8611z »

everybody has their own rl-problems, i do too and in such situations i simply stop wasting other users time on internet, if this forum really consists of users who can not script a 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2 counter (even when given note where the problem is) and similiar stuff then i wonder why they had to get involved in discussions that must have been way over their head.

maybe instead of being offended actually read https://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant- ... s-program/ and realize that 99% of problems/questions in spring only cause long blabla because peoplers struggle with basic concepts.
I already saw long time ago how spring was dying and also the reasons for it, so current situation is no surprise to me. Maybe it is for you.

User was warned for this post, felony 2. (Silentwings)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Let me point out that Spring is not dying. The projects utilizing spring are alive and well and many of us are doing better at this moment than we ever have. You can claim all you like that "Spring is dying", but just because you believe it, doesn't make it a fact.

The main reason that it's dead around here is that frankly, many of us are too busy elsewhere. About the only time I post here is to ask questions about lua related issues and learn how to do stuff when the wiki is too vague for me to follow properly. If you take a look elsewhere, things are popping quite a lot. For example, thanks to Discord, I was able to build a reasonably nice sized (but still relatively small) Evo community in a just a few weeks, and last Saturday we had an immensely successful Get-Together.

So doom and gloom all you want, but Spring is doing quite well, there is just less chatter here and more chatter in individual communities.

Edit: Also, spring 103 is godlike.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

The projects utilizing spring are alive and well and many of us are doing better at this moment than we ever have.
Playernumbers are decreased for every mod. Beside TA and BA most small mods basically do not get played anymore or are unmaintained. Even zK is struggling to fill one room on their server.
I post here is to ask questions
Good for you. But nobody else does anymore.

Not many new modders lately.
Even you must have noticed that answers to your request are coming slower and fewer. When peoplers used to make requested scripts within hours or days, it now takes months or year or find someone willing to do the job for you. Even if you use all 'channels' like bounty-offers or begging alá "sadly it will be a pain to update evo :( :(" or making mantis-reports that can not possible true so someone will look at whatever you need fixed. And I guess you are asking in lobbychat too and on voicechat.
And still look how long it took you to find someone willing to apply the changes for new spring-version or making small widgets like resource-display.
Or that a gadget by KDR_11 from 2008 is frontpage-worthy, with the changes being made to it being totally lolcode.
Nobody replied yet to the follow-up question in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35477
Not because it is too hard problem, most modders would see problem quickly, but there is nobody left to answer.
For example, thanks to Discord, I was able to build a reasonably nice sized (but still relatively small) Evo community in a just a few weeks, and last Saturday we had an immensely successful Get-Together.
You required steam, frontpage spam and all that to get ~5 people to play for ~5 hours on one day. How is that is a success, that used to be everyday normal even for non-BA mods.

Or look at Random-WIP threads, page numbers got less every year. Now second year with single digit pagecount again.

User was warned for this post, felony 2. (Silentwings)

User was banned in view of repeated previous warnings of the same nature.

Please avoid repeated unconstructive comments.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Responding to you is always a tiptoe through a baitfarm. Part of me finds it amusing.

Player numbers for evo have increased by several thousand percent.

New modders probably get scared away by the way that people like you treat them.

It was a pain to update evo, but in the end, it only took a few hours. I just needed someone with enough knowledge to give me a hand. Big props to hokomoko for that.

The vast majority of the new stuff in evo has been done by me. Sometimes I've had help getting started, but if you bother to look over commit histories, you will find that 95% of it has been all me. That must sting you a little bit. That said, when I have been supremely stuck I have had community support, most notably, code_man, smoth, gajop, hoko and flozi. At other times, I've just needed someone to bounce ideas off of so that I can solve the issues myself.
Or that a gadget by KDR_11 from 2008 is frontpage-worthy, with the changes being made to it being totally lolcode.
That's pretty offensive. When I started with it, that gadget was beyond primitive. Now it is actually useful and receives a lot of constant loving from me. It was front page news because evo's gameplay was entirely adapted to it. The people that helped me with CV were code_man and smoth mainly, but smoth has had health issues, so I've had to figure out how to do a lot of it on my own, with some help from various other people (usually documented in the commit messages what they helped me with). I've been working with/on it since February, and what I had accomplished is taking it from a general concept to a fully fledged idea.
You required steam, frontpage spam and all that to get ~5 people to play for ~5 hours on one day. How is that is a success, that used to be everyday normal even for non-BA mods.
5 people? There were more than that, and it wasn't the same people all day, but say what you will, we all had a LOT of fun doing it, and people are already talking about next Saturday. We tend to have a lot of conversation on discord, and no one talks in the lobby (for the most part). I have found it to be an excellent medium for conversation with players.

You know the best part of it for me? In February, I gutted Evo. Ripped it apart, got it working on 103 with hoko's help and have since been rebuilding it. Since the original release of 10.x, I have had almost zero reports of players with issues. A lot of this is due to 103 being awesome, but another part of it is due to Evo finally being rock solid again. There are some rough edges still. Nothing is perfect, but I'm filing those down as I go along, and the user experience right at this moment is excellent.

So sure, doom and gloom all you want. BA probably loses players due to the fact that it has been stagnating. ZK possibly due to the constant flux that it has been in (or at least that is my personal perception) for the past X months wrt steam, lobby, etc.

One thing that KoyoteKamper said that stuck with me... "You have to keep making changes. That's what keeps me/others around, because it stays relevant and interesting."

Essentially what he is saying is that you can't let your game get stale. Behe kept BA going through sheer willpower by adding all kinds of features, but while BAR shows all kinds of excellent progress, it has stagnated as well, for no real discernible reason. Possibly due to feature creep and moving goalposts. Personally, I operate under the philosophy of release early, release often and try like hell not to release anything that is legitimately broken. :-)
Silentwings

Re: Old bos scripts spitting out invalid piecids? [split]

Post by Silentwings »

Locked.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”