Homeworld: Desert of Kharak

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Anyone played Homeworld: Desert of Kharak?
Orfelius

Re: Homeworld: Desert of Kharak

Post by Orfelius »

I didn't play it but what I have seen its basically homeworld on the ground with less units, braindead AI and little selection of maps.
But overall its pretty ok, because it is still Homeworld on the ground. Just play HW Remastered instead.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

I really wanted to buy this when it was announced, but the terrible Ai and small map-pool are just ruining it for a full price title. Will wait till those things get fixed or the price falls to ~20€.
gajop

Post by gajop »

There doesn't seem to be linux support so it will be a while until I can play it.
It has some interesting things in what I could get from a couple of trailers:
- The explosions are really pretty
- The UI (especially heightmap LOS) is cool
- Nice weather effects/sense of scale
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The fantastic thing with the explosion is not the prettyness..

-yes, its damn pretty- by doing deserts to perfection..

its the fact that they obscure the view for a short amount of time if large enough units die..
thus- everytime something big goes boom, its time to look at another part of the battlefield or to zoom out.

They do transport the scale of things well..agreed

Also fascinating, air is ueber-strong, but limited by mechanics to attacks on what has been discovered by others
scifi

Post by scifi »

I think its a very well developed game, but the price for what it offers is a bit too high imo.

Like the core of the gameplay is good, the campaign is also interesting on the hardest difficulty, but multiplayer lacks maps and maybe some unit variety and the skirmish AI is bad.

The devs have confirmed the AI and the maps will be the next things they will be working on, if you are on the fence about buying this maybe wait for a sale and for them to implement these features.

Just bare in mind the multiplayer scene might be dead by the time they do it, new RTS's die soo fast these days.
AC-mister

Post by AC-mister »

I only watched a lolinterview and video of the opening cinematic and first mission, and already I can sense this game does a far better job at conveying the whole "massive scale" thing than Chris Taylor and Brad Wardell and co. and their dedicated "omgmassive!" pet projects ever could. And that was without ever splerging about it.

Didn't skimp on things like art assets or terrain height mechanics either.
mart82

Post by mart82 »

LordMuffe wrote:I really wanted to buy this when it was announced, but the terrible Ai and small map-pool are just ruining it for a full price title. Will wait till those things get fixed or the price falls to ~20€
Ahah my thoughts exactly!
Still waiting ;)
Last edited by mart82 on 18 Nov 2016, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

so, its on Steam for ~12€ atm.

I bought it... i played through the campaign in one sitting (about 7 hours playtime on medium) ... and what can I say. Its absolutely worth the money for that alone. Haven´t tried the skirmish yet to see if the ai has improved in any meaningful way. But even if that is not the case, the single player is such a beautiful, beautiful thing... after the absolute shitfest that is the Starcraft2 campaign I was afraid there wouldn´t be any good RTS single player experience. But damn... its so amazing, how they captured what made the HW1 campaign great and transferred it in the dessert.

The mission objectives aren´t as varied as in in Borecraft2, but the atmosphere is so thick it carries the game in a way it brings tears of joy and bliss to my eyes.

It definitely ranks among the other HW games, Ground Control 2, Warzone 2100.

I really hope in the case HW3 gets made someday that the guys of Blackbird Interactive are the ones making it.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”