Fragmentum must play for all designers

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

dimm

Post by dimm »

http://www.lundargames.com/fragmentum/

Design tech tree and have AI battle using this tree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qSfKJCPnFc
Google_Frog

Re: Fragmentum must play for all designers

Post by Google_Frog »

Why? What do you think it does really well? What is there to learn from it?
dimm

Post by dimm »

If its few problems are solved. Be creative and go ideas wild? It should be easier to test out ideas than in spring.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

eh, you can make a unit consisting of blocks, and hiden and show those blocks, and rearrange parentage aka hierarchy.. so you can build any unit..

you just have to want that.. very very much - and make it happen

Spring.SetUnitPieceHierarchy
dimm

Post by dimm »

Spring fans must say spring is better but I bet Fragmentum is faster.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I'm a fan? I never rooted for a soccer team. And spring definitely has flaws. Its grown software, and unlike engineered software, any change to spring is incremental, by weeding and gardening into a good direction.

I dont root for anything, just because i outsourced parts of my identity to it. I root for a impressive feet of engineering. How many open source projects are out there to which one would return after ten years, to demand that i keep up with some feet developed from scratch?

Also many games that rely on buildable units end with one or two OP Builds and thats it..
You have to counter that by rising the price by unittype density.

Solve the problems inherant to such a system - and the discussion continues.

Also go team Besiege!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Based on the graphics in that preview video, there's no point in making a comparison.
smoth

Post by smoth »

dimm wrote:Spring fans must say spring is better but I bet Fragmentum is faster.
I think fragmentum looks like a shitty sandbox game. I was just going to post that it isn't my kind of game but you are comparing a sandbox game to an engine... seriously spring can do MUCH more than fragmentum can. Stop thinking spring can only do BA

If I leave spring for something it will be unity.
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoth wrote:
dimm wrote:Spring fans must say spring is better but I bet Fragmentum is faster.
I think fragmentum looks like a shitty sandbox game. I was just going to post that it isn't my kind of game but you are comparing a sandbox game to an engine... seriously spring can do MUCH more than fragmentum can. Stop thinking spring can only do BA

If I leave spring for something it will be unity.
Well i already left for unity a loong time ago, ive made prototypes of almost every kind of game i wanted to make there and it surely was a fun experience, and now im leaving for unreal 4 =p.

After working on quite complex projects in unity, i think eventually you will reach huge performance problems that almost require you to design certain parts of your behaviour like a complete seperate engine with thread's.

Also anything network related has to be designed from the ground up as well.

I guess spring helps a lot in that regard.
On a more serious note Spring is an engine dont compare it with a "game". Also if anything i think robocraft is a very cool example where you build and fight with anything you can make out of your imagination.

So yeah its not exactly a new concept, but i would have to try the game in order to know if its any good.
dimm

Post by dimm »

I only meant Fragmentum as a very quick way to prototype and test RTS ideas not to play as a normal game.
dimm

Post by dimm »

scifi wrote: After working on quite complex projects in unity, i think eventually you will reach huge performance problems that almost require you to design certain parts of your behaviour like a complete seperate engine with thread's.
No dll shop? Write the game in something low the hookup to unity for interface n graphics?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”