Soundtrap vs Soundation

Soundtrap vs Soundation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Soundtrap vs Soundation

Post by Forboding Angel »

Do any of you have a preference? I atm prefer soundtrap due to the fact that it's written in html5 whereas soundation is flash.

That said, soundation seems to be more powerful, and a shitload harder to use. I was curious if any of you had any thoughts on it.

As far as making things in each, soundation seems to have a lot of very nice tools for making your own loops and stuff. So does soundtrap, but with soundation it's easier to make dubsteppy types of sounds it seems.

I whipped this up in soundation in about an hour or so:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25BbZ ... sp=sharing

And this was done in soundtrap for the ludum dare prep (most of you have probably already heard it) in a little over an hour if I remember right:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25BbZ ... sp=sharing

Anyway, like I said... I'm curious if any of you have experience with these or other tools and what you think about them. keep them to web based tools please. I'm quite familiar with cubase and protools, but I love the fact that I can make music on my chromebook. Sidenote, chromebooks + crouton = pretty freaking awesome although I find little use for the chroot part of it... just enough to justify it's existence lol :-)
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Re: Soundtrap vs Soundation

Post by hokomoko »

I've actually never heard of either.
I'll try and use one I guess, although they're not exactly my style.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

audacity?

also used audacity - and audacity..
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Like I said, focused mainly on cloud services here :-)
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Saas is a the devil and should burn in satanic hell where satan-devils of Saas belong.
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Like I said, focused mainly on cloud services here :-)
But why exactly that is? Are online audio editors superior to offline ones in any significant way?
I use LLMS which seems to be superior to both of your mentioned applications. It has control tracks. Sample generators, beat generators and a load of free samples. It is also open source which accidentally means that there is a ton of tutorials and help of how to use it out there. The only way I see it inferior is that it cannot be used on machine that is not yours or if you (for some inexplicable reason) want to use tablet to make your music.
mightybug2001

Post by mightybug2001 »

I have played with both of them and actually found this forum while looking for someo of the comparisons. I was really interested in using sound trap with my students and have played around with it, but recently was introduced to soundation and I really like it. I also think for the basic features I plan to use soundation might work better because I can teach the basics of a DAW. Because they are both cloud based, either would work, but soundation does give way more power than needed.

If I had to choose, I, currently would choose soundation. hope this helps.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I ended up with soundtrap. Soundation is primarily built with flash, and while there is an html5 version of soundation, I found it to be less reliable.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”