Upcoming Planetary Annihilation Update allows for Line Move Mod

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Stuart98

Post by Stuart98 »

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip- ... ine.69314/

The new update is also allowing for the creation of a functional mini-map, which the author of the line move mod is also working on.
eronoobos

Re: Upcoming Planetary Annihilation Update allows for Line Move Mod

Post by eronoobos »

several months after release, players add basic user interface features
Stuart98

Post by Stuart98 »

eronoobos wrote:several months after release, players add basic user interface features
Calling it a "basic user interface feature" is a stretch, since the only RTS games prior to this to support it (to the extent of my knowledge) were spring games.

But what's the point? No one is denying that the PA release was botched, or that it's a lesser game without mods.

The game is improving. Why criticize lack of past improvement after improvement happens?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Cause we are having imp on roofies here all the time, those guys could work on something for spring and get something novel done. Instead, basically working for the man for free..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

PA advertises OS X support, but the first thing you get is a camera centred on the sun, and an instruction to use the middle mouse button to move it and pick a start location. Most macs use a trackpad...

Not to mention that the most popular model, despite having good enough performance to render the game smoothly, was obviously never tested as there're obvious issues with the size of shadowmaps and how they're applied to terrain. It's embarassing
Stuart98

Post by Stuart98 »

AF wrote:PA advertises OS X support, but the first thing you get is a camera centred on the sun, and an instruction to use the middle mouse button to move it and pick a start location. Most macs use a trackpad...

Not to mention that the most popular model, despite having good enough performance to render the game smoothly, was obviously never tested as there're obvious issues with the size of shadowmaps and how they're applied to terrain. It's embarassing
To quote indie game developer James Green,
"These dumb players with macs and one button".

No seriously is anyone expected to do any gaming on a mac without a 3 button mouse?

Or on any sort of personal computer for that matter?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

To quote indie game developer James Green,
"These dumb players with macs and one button".

No seriously is anyone expected to do any gaming on a mac without a 3 button mouse?

Or on any sort of personal computer for that matter?
For Pro multiplayer competitive RTS gaming? No, but not everyone plays for competitive reasons.

Starcraft runs flawlessly on a Macbook Pro, hearthstone runs on a Macbook, Minecraft, TA:Kingdoms, OTA, even spring, all of them work on a trackpad without doing anything special, and there's no reason PA couldn't work with a trackpad. But even if it did do something special, there are precedents, e.g. why couldn't I track the camera around with 2 fingers and use pinch to zoom? That kind of functionality would be awesome, even if I had a mouse, Photoshop can do it, so it's possible

I think the point is summed up quite nicely that you still think OS X only supports single mouse button, it's that kind of naive thinking that condemns OS X to poor game support. Spring can be forgiven because it doesn't have a developer with root access to a Mac to test with, but PA made a Mac port with the funds to buy and test on real hardware, yet their game has obvious and significant rendering and control issues on the best selling machine of the last 5 years of any laptop, Apple or not.

If they can't get the most basic things right with their game on a machine that makes up the majority of all laptop sales each year ( nevermind that plenty of Windows laptops have trackpads too ), then what hope is there ( perhaps they wrongly assumed most serious Mac users have an iMac )

And for the record, my mouse has much more than 3 buttons, all of which are supported by OS X
Stuart98

Post by Stuart98 »

The Asteroids Update is released!

The guy making the line build and minimap mods is probably asleep right now so it'll be a few hours before we see those out I imagine.

Galactic Annihilation and the next ModX update are both releasing tomorrow.

In other words, give PA another try tomorrow and see what you think. :)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

When they update to allow for not paying £22.99 for a game with poor reviews and a history of disappointment, I might think about it...
gajop

Post by gajop »

That update is called "Steam Sale" and is how I got it.
Stuart98

Post by Stuart98 »

A steam key for PA is $6 on bundlestars for about 12 more hours.

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/planet ... ihilation/
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Of note, as a kickstarter backer, I've yet to receive my rewards, if they've built a game that's reached sale status on Steam I think they can print and mail a tshirt or two
Stuart98

Post by Stuart98 »

If you haven't gotten your rewards yet, see here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/65 ... ts/1282683

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”