X-com: Enemy Within with Long War is crack itsself

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

BaNa

Post by BaNa »

So I got the whole xcom set with all the dlcs during the christmas sales (bless our lord gaben, slasher of the prices) and proceeded to install long war on it and suddenly it's a month later. It is gaming crack in it's purest form, so I guess this is in equal parts a warning and a spammy try this fucking game post, because it can hook you like the best of them.

I'm guessing a fair amount of y'all have played the original Enemy Unknown when it came out or played with the old X-coms, well with the long war, it's more or less a perfect successor to the old ones. I felt that vanilla, while a great game, lacked a certain something, but my god, has long war delivered. Some things that have changed, though bear in mind I never played Enemy Within without LW, so some of the good stuff comes from that obviously:

-Higher squad size
-Much more varied equipment choices, kind of like old xcom without the silly inventory bullshit
-Different perk progression and classes, including a choice between 2 classes at first perk level
-More varied misson settings (some of this is the dlc, some is long war repurposing maps and start locations)
-More alien types compared to vanilla (that is enemy within)
-You can build badass mechs (also EW)
-Much better enemy AI (their patrol routes are much more agressive, so sometimes you pop multiple pods and things can really snowball)
-Aliens can get fucking scary as time goes by, let me illustrate this with one picture (I've had missions with 40+ aliens):

That is totally not made up, you can get shit popping up that makes you flat out rage, kind of like the old terror from the deep. You will lose people you have been training up, and you will avenge them with alien blood. Try not to savescum too often, as it can ruin some of the FUN.

So all in all, check this game out with the mod, but be prepared, it is unforgiving and a hueg time sink. I'm talking >150 hours in a single campaign time sink.

A couple of tips: the interceptor meta is even more unforgiving than most of the game, so you really do need to readjust to how it works (you dont need to shoot down everything, at start you can basically only down small ufos, not even mediums, there are different strength ufos even in same size, ect. ect.)

I would recommend you start with cinematic mode and red fog second wave options on.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Re: X-com: Enemy Within with Long War is crack itsself

Post by KingRaptor »

> giant chryssalid
PASS

Description certainly looks interesting, I might try it sometime.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

KingRaptor wrote:> giant chryssalid
PASS

Description certainly looks interesting, I might try it sometime.
yeah, first time I got one like that, I was definitely O_O

They also get a lot of perks as they level up, chrissies get lightning reflexes for instance which as you can imagine is a bugger. I've been up against sectopods with >60 hp and massive damage reductions. Here is an example.
smoth

Post by smoth »

with the increased difficulty did they add a lot of monsters and scenery early on? I know of a few friends who found the xcom game to be hugely disappointing maybe this will be right up their alley.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

The dlcs add a lot of one-off missions and quite a few new maps, too, so imo in that is much better. For instance, there are 3 urban UFO crash sites that are very nice. I'm not sure what the experience would be like for ppl with just EW, but prolly still good. The alien variation is imo better because you get different AI, different alien skills and varied pods. So for instance, the small sectoids can do psi attacks from start, but with time they get much better at it. There is a pretty scary sectoid mech that can benefit from allies psyboosting it, to the point that most of the time you have to kill the booster first cause the psy shield gives like 5-6 damage reduction. So it's more interesting because of the interaction between units. Also, as aliens get better, the pods can get very scary. Pod leaders get bonus perks and HP, to the point that a pod leader mechatoid is a much tougher enemy than a normal sectopod.

About varied pods: I've had a downed ufo mission where I took some rookies, where the first pod I popped was 9 mutons, after I killed them off, the second one was 7 outsiders, a mechtoid and a sectoid commander. I gave up on that run at that point.

I don't think long war has out and out new alien types tho, but Enemy Within has 3 new ones: mechtoid, heavy floater and seeker (they can stealth and uncloak right next to your units to strangle them, they actively seek out units that are alone)
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

I think there are new maps but don't count on my words.
Also this mod is awesome and if you have new X-Com you should play it! It is like entire new expansion to the game.
However if you prefer the old style X-Com be sure to check Xenonauts. It is just straight up better UFO Defense. But be sure to download mappack before you play because it has not very many of them and they get kinda repetetive after a while.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”