Steam tried to install me a game without my permission - Page 2

Steam tried to install me a game without my permission

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Re: Steam tried to install me a game without my permission

Post by Super Mario »

Kloot wrote:"The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to take away your freedom..."
Kloot, how is that quote relevant here?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Adding games to your library is VERY DIFFERENT from installing them automatically.

Adding them to your library means that steam gives you access to a new game for free. You don't like it? Don't install it.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

And that is why I found it somewhat unpleasant to have games automatically added to my library but I was never all that upset at that.

Kloot's post is relevant assuming (like I am) that he means that Steam's license almost certainly took away my right to not have stuff installed into my PC without my explicit permission. (though it won't remove my right to become upset at it)
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Did you file a bug report?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

We, the always thruthtelling and never lying brutally to your face, and very customer luving people from the PR-Department, who came up with the idea in the first place, deeply regret what happend (we can afford that now, sucker!) and will add you to the 300 others in the grumpy customers database, were you will be shielded from further attempts to make money (at least for a while).

Our company (place Name Here Incooperated) has always taken utmost care, that its users may never leave or lay low, or just have no incentive to return, so by throwing stuff at them, we hope to increase the dependancy that allready is present in the fact, that all your games belong to us.

We are going to use lube the next time, but fucked you will be customer. This hurts us more, then it hurts you. Sincerely, with bleeding hearts and many

Regards Public Realations

PS: I wonder when companys will start to offer bountys for customers switching . Oh, it happend allready.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

He's already shown he understands the difference between a game in his library and a game being installed.
PauloMorfeo wrote:I too have had games automatically be added to my library, which is unpleasent enough. But never before did I have a game install without my instructions.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

In a companys realm - you are always a beggar, a well threated beggar as long as you can pay - but in the end a beggar, who has to pay ransom for a continued existance within that space.

Its that way with company software, with there servers, with there services. You bare all the risks, by now often even the cost of development, and you can rest assured that if the company goes belly up, you as owner of software wont recive your software or at least the source necessary to keep the binary running.

Steam has been "friendly" as google is "friendly", not just cause, but for the best cause-money and monopolys. Its sad but true.

So quoting stallmann - is just pointing out the obvious.

I wish i had a crack for steam..
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

I don't see why you're posting here, when you should be going their forums and post you complants there, as I don't think there are many IT guys here when it comes to steam.
PicassoCT wrote:In a companys realm - you are always a beggar, a well threated beggar as long as you can pay - but in the end a beggar, who has to pay ransom for a continued existance within that space.

Its that way with company software, with there servers, with there services. You bare all the risks, by now often even the cost of development, and you can rest assured that if the company goes belly up, you as owner of software wont recive your software or at least the source necessary to keep the binary running.

Steam has been "friendly" as google is "friendly", not just cause, but for the best cause-money and monopolys. Its sad but true.

So quoting stallmann - is just pointing out the obvious.

I wish i had a crack for steam..
What in the hell, are you smoking when you compare customers of steam, to threaten beggars? No one is pointing guns at their heads and demand them to use their services.

Also that bold part is FUD, value repeated stated that users will still access their game if value were to go to bankrupt.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

I like your snark Picasso (especially the bit about the PR people), but can anyone think of how Valve or game studios stand to actually gain anything from forcibly installing games that the user hasn't paid a dime for? Even if they don't blow up at the companies in question, the most you've done is give someone a copy of a game that they no longer have to buy from you. Unless it's spyware or something, but no-one's accused Sanctum of being that.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Its a attitude thing.

Papa Gaben knows what good for you, ooopen up wide, and here comes the freight train full of steaming hot crap you never wanted, cause if you swallow, you can also pick up the can. Good Citizen, like a well trained dog.

Now Sit.
Stand.
Walk.
Be free.
gajop

Post by gajop »

@Super Mario:
You seem new here: Picasso is not to be taken seriously, it's just his way of writing.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

gajop wrote:@Super Mario:
You seem new here: Picasso is not to be taken seriously, it's just his way of writing.
Actually he's new to me.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

woman, the insane and the art guys always get away with it ;)

We need a dictatorship to end this nonsense..

Mao.SortMy(world);
if Mao.OrderedWorld==true then table.remove(world, you); echo ("Mao was here") end

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”