Seriously... About the Forum Avatars

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I know people bring this up on a semi-regular basis but the 80x80/10KB avatars look smaller than ever with the updates to the forum and site.

With the new layout you could bump it up to 138 Width without any effect on the layout. You can even keep 80 Height if you really don't want posts getting taller... though I'd prefer 138x138
Bigger.PNG
Bigger.PNG (66.73 KiB) Viewed 14136 times
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Seriously... About the Forum Avatars

Post by Forboding Angel »

Technically the actual number would be 142x142, but it's better to use percentages on images for obvious reasons anyway.

Code: Select all

.whatevertheclassnameforthetableis img {
    border: none;
    max-width: 100%;
    width: auto; // or you could use 100% to force smaller images to take up the entire area
}
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I don't really like websites where the avatar and sig pic are fighting for attention all over the pages.

I'd say current size is nice.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Forboding Angel wrote:Technically the actual number would be 142x142,
It looks like it's 142 but it's actually 138 because the img is in a td which is in a tr which is in a table with 2px of "border-spacing".

The other thing you said is just "the css you would use to accomplish this feat" which is totally true but doesn't apply until the forum's profile allows larger images.
zwzsg wrote:I don't really like websites where the avatar and sig pic are fighting for attention all over the pages.

I'd say current size is nice.
I get that and agree with you in principle... I think the balance between avatar size and forum content was fine before but that the forums being wider and larger font-ed merits similarly larger avatars.
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

I like how entire site got scaled up because one guy got a monitor upgrade, instead of him using browser scale functions. :regret:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If the avatar is drawing too much attention, it's probably because it's animated, or the forum design is terrible. Having said that, there are no signatures here, and you can still make super distracting avatars under 10kb given the size we currently have with animations. We could at least make sure the avatar is a sensible size like 128x128 or some other standard icon size, rather than 80x80

Perhaps we should all get on the bandwagon and have circular avatars with CSS3 popping animations, instead of arguing against a minorities personal preferences for a rational sensible avatar size?
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

AF wrote:..., instead of arguing against a minorities personal preferences ...
I didn't actually understood which of the options you're arguing for/against, but that sounds like you're self-inflating your argumentation by pretending or assuming that the supporters of the opposing opinion are a minority.

This is not a democracy but it's still comunitary - put it to the vote, I say.
(I'd actually not vote, since I abandoned the comunity long ago and I'm not much more than a lurker, so I don't want to have a vote in that)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its not 80px x 80 px
Its
64 px + 16 px * 64 px + 16 px
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Avatar discussions have always been a small kept but vocal discussion verging on flamewars with a minority who vehemently oppose bigger avatars, mentioning over the top signatures from other forums ( we haven't had signatures here since the days of SJ and Fnordia before spring was downloadable ), and advocates for a small increase ( usually including myself ).

At some point Abma or someone else upgraded the forum software to a newer version, and the avatar file size limit was increased by a small amount. The forums didn't descend into chaos and most people didn't notice. We had a walking Fido animation ( it may even have been zwzsg ), and someone abused the system once with a flashing avatar that could give photo-epileptics seizures ( which has always been possible ).

These days i treat any claim that avatars would be distracting and detract as sarcastic humour considering that the site is currently plastered in present boxes and festive reds.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Haha @AF, so true. Lets implement circular avatars and profile cards on hover! :lol:

But yes, AF is right. Those people that had issues with larger avatars were usually the same ones that bitched about maps being over 10mb.

It's 8 years later, and the sky hasn't fallen yet, so we're probably ok to increase the sizes.

Edit: For the sake of arguing for no reason, you are wrong good sir! :-)

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Forboding Angel wrote:Edit: For the sake of arguing for no reason, you are wrong good sir! :-)

You are hovering the td, not the img tag

I see the same (except off by one pixel for some reason because AF's Avatar is only 79px tall) when I hover that node:
(136.58 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
But as you can see here, if you make the img 142px wide, as you suggested, it results in a td that is 146px wide... wider than it began!

(147.23 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I think no matter the size, a decent avatar should cover itself..

Unless of course, it is ment to incite impure thoughts. ;)
Attachments
infidels.jpg
infidels.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 13970 times
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

PicassoCT wrote:I think no matter the size, a decent avatar should cover itself..
That's not funny!!! That burqa is a bit too revealing!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

SinbadEV wrote: But as you can see here, if you make the img 142px wide, as you suggested, it results in a td that is 146px wide... wider than it began!
You use the container because the image should not have set dimensions and should instead be sized using max-width and percentages in css. In this way, the image size is unimportant (relatively), and what is important is the size of the container it is in. :-)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:I think no matter the size, a decent avatar should cover itself..
That's not funny!!! That burqa is a bit too revealing!
You know- i always considered him a slut. The way he used both eyes. Any decent beeing would blind itself on one and steer towards the sky with the other.

But also shame on you for looking. Get yourself some Google glasses and pixel out the asses.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Forboding Angel wrote:
SinbadEV wrote: But as you can see here, if you make the img 142px wide, as you suggested, it results in a td that is 146px wide... wider than it began!
You use the container because the image should not have set dimensions and should instead be sized using max-width and percentages in css. In this way, the image size is unimportant (relatively), and what is important is the size of the container it is in. :-)
The container it is in has an inner width of 138 pixels!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

In all honesty, if preventing distractions is the problem we're trying to avoid, restricting avatar size to some arbitrarily small dimensions doesn't work ( I can upload neon pink green GIF and it'll be super distracting ).

Neither does keeping the file size as it is ( neon flashing GIF is quite small on file size )

I would propose 100x100, and 20kb. It's not huge, many images in the art threads are orders of magnitude larger than a full thread page of avatars at 20kb, and it still fits inside the forum without modification. It's also a lot closer to what gets used elsewhere on the net. We can also put it in a container and centre it so that the avatar box is always the same size

If you really worry about distractions, then placing a div container with 50% opacity in front of the avatar when not hovering over it that's the colour of the post background would be far more effective.

We can also ban avatars and the christmas/easter stylesheets that inevitably cause JK to rush around like a wild goose twice a year. We don't need the engine dev version of Band Aid 2014 to remind us it's christmas
gajop

Post by gajop »

It's fine as it is. Cool people don't even use avatars. Saves space and stuff.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

gajop wrote:It's fine as it is. Cool people don't even use avatars. Saves space and stuff.
This.

Also we could probably remove "Join date" information. And titles.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

And post content too. Everyone knows we really don't really need them.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”