Which MiniGames make for the best Micro - Page 2

Which MiniGames make for the best Micro

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PauloMorfeo

Re: Which MiniGames make for the best Micro

Post by PauloMorfeo »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:Could ressource gathering be coerced into a mini-game?
Actually, SpringRTS already has that in place - in Delta Siege (Dry) 4v4 ~ 6v6, usually 1 or 2 of the back end players play a mini-game of resource collection rushing to a super economy that can later be converted into a super attack (usually nukes, bombers, BB or Tier-3 units).
Hmmm - an idea just popped to my mind...

I used to theorize that one of the main reason people play large team fights so frequently in Spring is the fact that it diminished the responsibility for the loss (and made minimum-game lengths more stable, guaranteeing a minimally enjoyable game).

Now that I think if it, another great factor might be that it allows players to focus on specific mini-games, relieving them from having to focus on all areas of an RTS.

I remember I really enjoyed that. Usually being able to forego long term plans (like going for a BB) in order to focus exclusively on holding the north passes on Delta Siege. Often skirmishing in the open plains of the south. A few times going for some sim-city rushes from the back of the fight. Yes!!! That was definitely a huge source of enjoyment when playing Spring*TAs in Delta Siege Dry.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Great thoughts, Paulo

Mmmh.. so basically on some maps, spring has the quality of allowing you to chose what role you play in the ensuing battle. Support aka Simcity, Defense aka Mountain Defender or Offense aka fighting in the plains.

Which also highlights what minigames are not so beloved. Planes and Ships dont seem to be enthralling - or ballanced out in relation to other mini-games. I guess planes mini-game lacks controll (except for bombers).

You just give them a target and hope that you dont run into too much flak on the flight corridor. Not very engaging.
Ships dont meet great resistance either once they are established.. there is no fleah/puppy equivalent, which allows to launch torpedos from the coast when there is a armada lieing there..

Could you make a allmost turn based mini-game, just via rules? For example, a shield generator is besieged- the game happens between the attackers and the repairdrones in a shielded bubble : and its Nine Men's Morris with a clock? or would that sort of meta rts draw to much attention? Could the clock be reset with every move, allowing for the players to focus on other stuff for a minute?

Also one great example of bundling mini-games together to a greater meta-game was puzzlepirates..
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

i added the race-mini game into jw ..

Basically two "projectile" units, one doing a suicide attack on buildings.. one there to counter it.
Both with a life expectancy of about 20 secs (the attacker slighty longer)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

what if resource you can gather is sexulus stimual? could make the resource gathering interesting. it would still have to end in a splosion, though.
... what about a game where one faction is about sexual pleasure (lots of moaning and what not), and the other about pain (dungeon keeper style)? there would maybe be too much overlap in higher teers..
the pain faction would always loose, because it either gets overrun by the others, or it manages to extinguish sex. -> morale!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Actually - a Unit that converts a certain type of attack (spanky! spanky!) into ressources or a buff would be awesome. The Dominatrix to the front, the peewee needs punishment. Bonus points if a caputred and protected attack turns into some powerfull weapon. Remember that grenade you threw.. its back, its big and it wants to meet its maker.

What i also found intriguing are ecosystems..
battles produce bodys -> artillery produces headcrabs -> zombies produce battles suddenly a self regulating circle appears, which can be quiet balancing.

==> Obviousus the Philosopher allready stated that less complicated : "Everything needs a weekness to be interesting."

What would be rather intriguing is a game were you dungeonkeeper like dig out the map. There is something incredibbly satisfying in shaping the conditions you will fight in. No - body can roll in over that hill, cause i invested into a shield generator mine there, that will hold out for another hour..

I still think though, that the OTA Ressource Mechanic is ripe for a minigame..
He who drills deepest and manages to reach the deposit first gets more metall..
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i like the grenade that comes back bigger and meaner to its maker!
it might decide to unleash its destructive potential on him, or to end the circle and burst into a sea of flower-seeds, spread over a large area, because it reached enlightenment. the more flowery fields you walk through, the more good karma you get, so the more likely your grenades will decide to end up producing flowers. the more often you get hurt by exploding grenades (or other stuff), the less likely there will be flowers further down the process, but also the smaller your your grenades get.
KLN - Karma Logic Nirvanayzation
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I think i just discovered a new type.. shoote them up micro.

Imagine a flamer setting fire to a you, which leads to ammonition explosion.
Which always burst in a predictable pattern, so you be save, by walking your units into th shrapnellshadow.
Same goes for slowfiring shots.
They are basically this mini-game.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”