Homemade Cafe Mocha

Homemade Cafe Mocha

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Homemade Cafe Mocha

Post by Forboding Angel »

1 1/2 TBs Espresso Bold blend coffee (I use Don Francisco) run through a Kuerig at the large setting (you could use a traditional coffeepot too, just make it strong).

In a separate mug:
1/3 cup of milk (I use soy cause lactose liquefies my intestines)
1 TBs Hersheys Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2 TBs Artificial Flavor powder (I use cinnamon)

Mix with one of those little milk blender things until frothy. Once you are happy with how frothy it is, put the mug in the microwave for 30 seconds (no more)

Mix contents of mug with brewed Espresso blend coffee
Optional: Add whip cream on top

It's pretty damn delish. You'll need to sweeten it to taste though.
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Homemade Cafe Mocha

Post by Jools »

I'm glad we have a thread about coffee, coffee is important.

Is this something you make every day or just on special occasions?

I just use a normal Moka pot to brew it since my espresso machine broke down. The result from a Moka pot is very ok in my opinion, and certainly more artisan than buying one of those Nespresso pellet espresso makers. I also think the cafe latte from cafés (Starbucks, Robert's coffee, Wayne's coffee etc) is quite boring, it's always exactly the same.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I sometimes eat the freeze dryied powdered coffee if i get tired.
Does that make me a var barian?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

My sister has a trick for frothing if you don't have an immersion blender. Make your thing in a mason jar, heat it up in the microwave, then put the lid on and shake it until the froth forms.

PicassoCT wrote:I sometimes eat the freeze dryied powdered coffee if i get tired.
Does that make me a var barian?
I did some research a while back... you can totally eat roasted coffee beans and doing so is an effective way to get caffeine quickly... but do so in moderation... 4-6 beans is worth about a cup of coffee so it's an awful lot easier to "overdose".
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

I green tea. And have developed an addiction for energy drinks.

But that mix sounds soothing & yummy.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

MetalSucker wrote:I green tea. And have developed an addiction for energy drinks.
I find it funny whenever I hear/see people say such a thing - it's not something people realise easily (though it's pretty obvious once you have the knowledge about it and think about it for a while).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine_dependence

I actually intentionally drink as little caffeine as possible so that when I do have caffeine, ho boy, does it kick a punch!
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

PauloMorfeo wrote: I find it funny whenever I hear/see people say such a thing - it's not something people realise easily (though it's pretty obvious once you have the knowledge about it and think about it for a while).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine_dependence
I absolutely have a caffeine dependency... I've come to terms with it and baseline 40oz of strong coffee a day and top it off with a coke or two if I need to be sociable in the evening.
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

But but but .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigallocatechin_gallate

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, re: addiction, I am strangely not addicted to actual coffee (even if everyone is drinking it daily around me), but to caffeine.. however it does go away in one week of not "using". (Green) tea has a slower release of stimulants so I blame it on the the canned stuff with pretty labels, taurine, B vitamins and sugar, major evil there.

Coffee also has plenty of good stuff in it, I think societies would crumble without it.

Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

SinbadEV wrote:
I absolutely have a caffeine dependency... I've come to terms with it and baseline 40oz of strong coffee a day and top it off with a coke or two if I need to be sociable in the evening.
So I had to convert that using my scientific calculator: it turns out 1 oz = 28.34952 g, but why use a measure of mass when you're measuring a liquid. That's something that's always baffled me. Why not use a volume measure such as your gallons?

Sometimes you use a measure called cups? That's like something medieval or what? We also used to have a measure of distance that was called "the distance you throw a stone", but I think people soon realised that *it varies*.
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

Dry mass should be weight measured, liquid should be volume measured (or by weight if density is well known) but here concentration also plays an important role, so the only measurement that makes sense is the initial dry substance mass.

Volume measurements (teaspoons, tablespoons, cups) are common because they are much more convenient, I don't know a lot of people who prepare their drinks by weight measurement - unless brewing involving yeast or some other more delicate process.

I believe US cups are not Euro cups and are not Australian cups, though I might be wrong.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Even dry subtance is a bad metric if you're measuring caffeine intake from coffee, because preparation counts, and not all coffee is equal.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

We always measure liquids by dl, everyone knows that a normal drinking glass is about 2 dl.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Interesting, decilitres are not used here at all, we mostly use ml for cans and bottles.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Jools wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:
So I had to convert that using my scientific calculator: it turns out 1 oz = 28.34952 g, but why use a measure of mass when you're measuring a liquid. That's something that's always baffled me. Why not use a volume measure such as your gallons?

Sometimes you use a measure called cups? That's like something medieval or what? We also used to have a measure of distance that was called "the distance you throw a stone", but I think people soon realised that *it varies*.
I have a mug that I know to be 20 ounces (because it says 20 on the side) and I drink two of them... I think they are actually fluid ounces and it's a european thing to measure coffee volume in fluid ounces... In "normal" units I'm drinking just over 1L (4 cups in the USA) of coffee per day.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Cofee cup: a small, open container of china, metal, etc., usually with a handle, used as a drinking vessel for hot beverages:

Cofee mug: a rounded drinking cup with a handle:

You have very big coffee cups (oxymoron) if 4 hold 1 litre.
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

wiki sauce:

US one tablespoon (measurement unit) is approximately 15 mL;

the capacity of an actual tablespoon (dining utensil) ranges from 7 mL to 14 mL.

In Australia one tablespoon (measurement unit) is 20 mL.

In the United States one teaspoon as a unit of culinary measure is 1⁄3 tablespoon, that is, 4.92892159375 mL; it is exactly 1⁄3 US fluid drams, 1⁄6 US fl oz, 1⁄48 US cup, and 1⁄768 US liquid gallon and approximately 1⁄3 cubic inch.

For nutritional labeling on food packages in the US, the teaspoon is defined as precisely 5 mL.

1 U.S. customary cup = 236.5882365 millilitres
= ~152⁄3 international tablespoons

= ~ 11.75 Australian tablespoons

1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 milliliters
= 16 international tablespoons

1 imperial cup = 19 international tablespoons

1 Japanese cup = 200 millilitres

I gave up a long time ago ...

but wait !
.... there's MORE!

Gibraltar or Cortado
Traditional 6oz cappuccino served in a ceramic mug, on a saucer, with a spoon and napkin.

The “Gibraltar” or cortado is served in a 4oz rocks glass.

The Demitasse is a cup specially crafted for espresso. It is 2-3oz in capacity, and usually served on a saucer.

Cappuccino Latte, with latte art in a 12oz ceramic mug

The cappuccino is served in its own cup, a 6oz porcelain cup served on an accompanying saucer. The size of the cup reflects the traditional cappuccino, a drink with a 1:1:1 ratio. 2oz espresso, 2oz steamed milk, 2oz integrated foam.

Cafe Drinkware

There are cafe cups in various sizes, standardized to reflect paper cup sizes. They are typically 8, 12, 16, and sometimes 20 oz. Slight variation is to be expected from coffeehouse to coffeehouse...

And all of you had issues with what the vertical axis should be in Spring... now you see the REAL problems humanity faces!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I thought also that cup size was dependent on band length: like a 32D is same as 36C.

User was warned for this post. Felony 1
Last edited by Jools on 06 Nov 2014, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

Yet another wrong reason to want mesh deformation.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”