Windows 10 - Page 2

Windows 10

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: Windows 9

Post by rattle »

Jools wrote:I don't see any reason to upgrade from 7 to 8 or 8.1, unless you have a laptop and a touchscreen.
There was this deal where the upgrade when you had previous version installed cost only €30 which is the reason I'm on 8.1 Pro.
SpliFF

Re: Windows 10

Post by SpliFF »

I use Windows only to play games so as long as my games continue to support win7 (and they will for years to come) I see zero point in upgrading. I'd still be on on XP except I got win7 for "free" when I bought a laptop and I wanted 64-bit and DX10 support on my desktop. Despite being an OEM product I was able to get a Microsoft tech to re-activate it on my desktop PC and I put Linux Mint on the laptop instead. So Windows 8, 9, 10 is all blah to me unless they invent something truly game-changing. Not holding my breath though because with the possible exception of Kinect "change-changing" really isn't something MS does.

Chances are all an upgrade will do for me is break a lot of my games and generally piss me off. If I've learn't anything from years of using/supporting MS products it's that the main thing any update does is move a whole bunch of settings to different locations so you can't find anything.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

SpliFF wrote:invent something truly game-changing
Doesn't even need to be invented. I'd even accept them adopting something game-changing like when Apple decided to scrap all their old-broken everything and move towards a BSD/Unix like OS (but not that specifically, I can use Linux if I want a Unix-like OS)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I also use windows 7, with a dual boot to win 10. My old laptop has linux Mint and the other one still XP.

Windows 7 is still better than xp, remember how cluttered the start menu can become in xp if you have many programs, and compare how much easier win 7 is to work with dual monitors.

I'm new to mint and maybe that's why I find it not as convenient, for example there doesnt seem to be a system tray to which you can minimise stuff, and when you really need to get something done you have to use the shell anyway.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Mint has a "system tray" that doubles as a notification area... I think it just uses a different api/protocol than past GUIs because it only seems to work for a very narrow set of programs (Spotify goes there when you close it without choosing "exit" for example)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I wanted to have some kind of process explorer that shows cpu usage in systray, but didn't manage to find anything like that.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Jools wrote:I wanted to have some kind of process explorer that shows cpu usage in systray, but didn't manage to find anything like that.
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/198
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/79

they call them "applets"
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I like to suck mmm-so-soft cock.

Ten is good. Nine is not.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

varikonniemi wrote: Ten is good. Nine is not.
That's right. Nine is literally not. It doesn't exist.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

removed stupid drunken rant
Last edited by varikonniemi on 11 Oct 2014, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

There are a few reasons for that and other many better reasons to bash M$

https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28version% ... ws+9%22%29

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 69537.html

It has to do with "windows 95" and "windows 98" overlapping a version string with what could have been "windows 9".

It's been all over the tech news sites.

I'll keep using 7 as a wintendo if I ever get the itch to play something.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I have literally no desire to switch from 7.
albator

Post by albator »

Jools wrote:I wanted to have some kind of process explorer that shows cpu usage in systray, but didn't manage to find anything like that.
Plenty of things to be very productive with Mint Cinnamon, while playing spring :D

And you have some pretty powerfull applet as well, e.g. this

Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

JimmyJ wrote:I have literally no desire to switch from 7.
Nobody has now, but eventually it's life cycle will come to an end and people need to switch. Anyway, win 10 preview seems to be very similar to 7 as it is now.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”