"turing test passed"

"turing test passed"

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

"turing test passed"

Post by hoijui »

"officially", the turing test (a chat bot that makes humans believe it is human) was now passed.

news article:
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepe ... nline-news

wiki page about the software:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Goostman

my thoughts:
code, or it didn't happen!
gajop

Re: "turing test passed"

Post by gajop »

All BS imo.
Who cares that you got a committee fooled that you're a 13y old Ukrainian boy?
More importantly than the code, I would like to see the conversation that "fooled" those guys
All I asked was the following:
Q: "What school did you go to?"
A: "I attend an ordinary school in Odessa, my native city. Its number is 28 if it makes any difference to you."
Q: "What high school do you plan to go to?"
A: "I attend an ordinary school in Odessa, my native city. Its number is 28 if it makes any difference to you."

Same, not to mention, instant answer. I'd test it more but it seems to have bugged and all I'm getting now is "...wait". I guess it's imitating the boy's desire to go out and play.

PS: My high school thesis was a general introduction to AI, so I don't harbor anything against the Turing test, but to call it "passed" just because you set the bar too low feels wrong. Not to mention the whole thing is more of a thought experiment rather than an actual test..
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Same feeling. Of course there is nothing bad about having competitions for "the best that can currently be done" but even after strongly widening what the phrase would normally mean, the Turing test has not been passed there or anywhere else.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

gajop wrote: More importantly than the code, I would like to see the conversation that "fooled" those guys
+1

Who cares about the code?
dimm

Post by dimm »

wikipedia "Turing was prosecuted for homosexuality in 1952, when such acts were still criminalised in the UK. He accepted treatment with estrogen injections (chemical castration) as an alternative to prison. Turing died in 1954, 16 days before his 42nd birthday, from cyanide poisoning. An inquest determined his death a suicide; his mother and some others believed it was accidental.[7] On 10 September 2009, following an Internet campaign, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown made an official public apology on behalf of the British government for "the appalling way he was treated." The Queen granted him a posthumous pardon on 24 December 2013.[8][9]"
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its always easier to excuse for the atrocities of the past- also allows one to continue with the atrocities of today.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

33% is far too low a number to consider a pass rate, I'd expect more like 50% or 66%
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

It was not a supercomputer. Just a chat bot. Many other chat bots have claimed to have done this same feat, even with better percentage (see cleverbot). This is not what we usually call AI.

This bot also softened the rules by claiming to be a 13 yo boy. Turing test is conventionally seen to contain a normal IQ adult.

And finally, if you claim to have something that passes the test, you announce it and let independent people arrange the test. Until this it is just empty sensationalist reporting on some slightly interesting feat.

To me it seems that one of the most vital skills in the modern world is how to read news and decode what part was true, and what was bs due to incompetence/malice.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Apparently, the organizer of that particular contest is well known on the intarweb for all his silly claims, that the dumb press enjoy making headlines of.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

A version of the Turing test has been passed for a long time. It's relatively easy to make a bot that is indistinguishable from a human who wants to be an uncooperative troll.
gajop

Post by gajop »

SwiftSpear wrote:A version of the Turing test has been passed for a long time. It's relatively easy to make a bot that is indistinguishable from a human who wants to be an uncooperative troll.
Except that's not the Turing test at all. The Turing test specifies two participants, one a human and one a computer, both trying to convince a judge that they're human, as the judge rigorously interrogates them.

There is no chatbot currently present that would pass that, as the human must be fully functional and striving to win: using a child, not-fluent in English or mentally handicapped person in the contest is not valid.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

A version of the Turing test has been passed for a long time. It's relatively easy to make a bot that is indistinguishable from a human who wants to be an uncooperative troll.
Code pls :mrgreen:
gajop

Post by gajop »

jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

More interesting is a reversed turing test: when are chat bots able to fool AIs that they are humans?
Answering speed, typing speed, typo failure rate, used amount of technical terms & foreign words, sentence construction, ... put all that in a ANN and it should be easy to identify chat bots.

PS: As human it should be always easy to identify all bots: with jokes, bots are faaaaaaar from understanding those.
PPS: And that just 30% are fooled indicates that those just asked the wrong questions.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”