Going to see Ender's Game IMAX tonight!!!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Holy fuck I'm so excited!!!!!!

I have LOVED the book ever since i read it in high school. I'm so excited I could shit!
thesleepless

Re: Going to see Ender's Game IMAX tonight!!!

Post by thesleepless »

jealous! I have to wait until december 1 before it's out here =(
Been waiting for the movie for years. I hope they don't fuck it up
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Oh god, it's good.

If you haven't read the book(s) it will be a great movie. If you have, it will be an AMAZING movie.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I've heard they missed a lot on not making it in 3d.
The bastards in my local cinemas won't even say when they will put it on.
I might end up having to torrent it :|
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Damn homphobic bigot had to go and write a popular book, why couldn't someone who didnt have such looney views have written it
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I only got to reading the comics. (I think I read all of those)
I liked some sequel speaker-for-the-dead comic (don't exactly recall) because Ender wasn't military any more.

I do remember a Sinterklaas/Saint-Nicolas story where cadets are not allowed to practice certain beliefs. As far as I know homophobia often stems from such beliefs.
I never noticed any homophobic stuff, and I'm curious what examples may be, but I'm not asking here because I don't want to derail the thread.

In any case, I look forward to probably watching it. :-)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Apparently Card was a staunch believer in not using fiction as a platform for ideological proselytizing* so you wouldn't really expect any beyond the exclusion of any homosexual characters.

The problem isn't that the book, movie or story is bigoted, it's that the author is likely to use the enhanced fame and income that is afforded a big-budget Hollywood franchise creator to secure a larger audience for his vitriol.

* http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/10/enders-game/
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Card has and does write material suggsting political and ideological views.

E.g. Hamlets Father tried to link Pedophilia with homosexuality, he wrote an essay in August involving an Obama who set himself up as a Stalin-esque figure and changed the constitution so presidents can stay in power for life. His book Songmaster had a gay couple too that was described as 'self destructive'. He also used a novella called 'Angles' to imply evidence against global warming was being supressed
smoth

Post by smoth »

Who gives a shit. Dumb people will believe that shit anyway. It isn't like enders game will convert everyone to frothing anti-homosexuals. Some times people are just as bad as the damn christians! That is right, i said it! Those douche nozzles blackballed the fing sequel to golden compass because of anti-religious undertones and the author's public statements.

Every time I see someone RAGING ON AND ON about an authors personal views and how it taints his work I want to go against whatever cause they are being defensive over! What do you think most of us are sooo stupid that we will allow some book, series of books or author to just shape our minds as he sees fit? Well, if we were that dumb we would already believe that shit. Or we will just go, oh hey, looks like the author has an axe to grind.. which is what a normal semi-intelligent person will do. We will then just tuck that away into memory and have a bad taste in our mouth because of the author.

I don't see anyone protesting the show queer eye. I don't see anyone protesting the shit like duck dynasty or whatever. Look I don't give a care, leave your issues at the door, if you think the guy has an axe to grind so what. I swear... it is red vs blue everywhere.. gays vs christians, athiests vs christians, christians vs women, muslim vs jew..

FFS JUST WATCH THE MOVIE!

I DO NOT HEAR A ONE OF YOU TALKING ABOUT THE HEARTWRENCHING LOVE STORY BETWEEN TWO MEN IN CLOUD ATLAS! NOT A FING ONE!
knorke

Post by knorke »

reminder: please keep it civil wrt religion / sexuality / politics / language used
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No one gives a shit about Card's sexual tendencies or beliefs. All we give a shit about is the story.

I could care less whether it has hetero sex, 2% homo milk, jerking off/rubbing one out, or no sex at all... It's just a damn story, and unless the story says "I hate gays/heteros/trans/inters/goatonmidget", I really don't give a shit.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Im a bugger and i resent Cards anit-bugger views..

Honestly its just the usual conservatives crap.. trying to squeeze the queers among there group into that society support structure that kept the tribal stage stable. King and all the kings man can do what they want, but not inside the country, cause we forced all gayfolk to be priests, judges and teachers - and thus they can be pressured into defending basic civilisation (not to much murder, rape, stealing) else they would loose Womanfolks backup and be stoned.

One has to love this sick species.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'm just mindful of with DC, paying to watch the movie sends the message we dont care about his views, and so more of that is okay.

As great as the book is, and as great as the story is, I'm not opposed to watching the film, but I won't be giving Orson royalties from my pocket.
smoth

Post by smoth »

What about all the other people who worked on the film?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The same can be said of trashy rightwing scaremongering books, Im sure there are plenty of reasonable people working in the production of the books, the ink, the electronics etc. That's business. In the same way that FX companies will have been paid to do their jobs.

I'm not going to start boycotting cinemas for showing the film either. I should hope they stand up against supporting someone with those views, but people have to put food on the table and pay bills, and these are businesses. I'm not a business though, I'm a customer, and I'm mindful where my money goes, and I choose not to send my money into Orsons Royalty check.

I can easily go watch another film, with a sizeable number of companies and production that were involved with Enders Game.

As for the executives who entertained Orson, they should know better, and if they suffer financially for it, then shame on them. Corporations endorse and sell products that are inappropriate for political reasons all the time and get burnt for it, issue recalls, get fines, and face brand damage. Especially with the expense of the DC stories he wrote that had to be mothballed and the boycotts
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

AF wrote:I'm just mindful of with DC, paying to watch the movie sends the message we dont care about his views, and so more of that is okay.
Oh that's horseshit.

Card's views don't make it a good or a bad movie, and boycotting it isn't going to do anything at all.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I read that he doesnt get any money from ticket sales so boycotting seems like a useless gesture anyway. This thread made me aware of the issue and I read up a bit on it and he doesnt seem like that much of a horrorbigot frankenstein mcarthyist dude, his views would not cause much comment if he was on fox news. I totally dont agree with him but i dont see how he is a hatemonger.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

BaNa wrote:his views would not cause much comment if he was on fox news... i dont see how he is a hatemonger.
Does not compute
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A successful movie will mean higher book sales, money which goes straight into his pockets. It's also voting with your wallet to say you don't care who wrote the story. There's also the offers from TV Networks for the rights to show the film, those will be guided by ticket sales.
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:A successful movie will mean higher book sales, money which goes straight into his pockets. It's also voting with your wallet to say you don't care who wrote the story. There's also the offers from TV Networks for the rights to show the film, those will be guided by ticket sales.
Yeah, no

that is a slippery slope argument.

EX:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”