Bitches dunno bout mah zerg

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I lolled xD

http://i.imgur.com/1E4zzZQ.jpg

Edit, a little background, 4v4 super laggy game. Bent was shitting the bed hard.

2 of my teammates left so me and the toss 1based it using the res from our allies mining bases.

But the apm is what got me lol
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Bitches dunno bout mah zerg

Post by CarRepairer »

Okay, so how did the player do 62 actions per second? If you order 62 units to move to a spot does that count as 62 actions or 1?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

CarRepairer wrote:Okay, so how did the player do 62 actions per second? If you order 62 units to move to a spot does that count as 62 actions or 1?
One reason for high apm is rapid fire inject method (but usually it's in the 200 range or so). I max out around 110 apm with nothing but standard out of the box hotkeys (although depending on the game I'll hit 140 occasionally).
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Forboding Angel wrote:110 apm
That's 2 actions per second. Hardly the same as 62 per second.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Car, it happened because the game was super laggy, so when I was doing my larvae inject hotkeys it was piling up the commands :-)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

The game clock is based on normal speed, which hardly anybody uses outside of training games.

In ranked games, time is sped up by 38%. So when it says 1 minute in-game, only ~43 secs passed. This means you must also multiply APM to get the correct figure i.e. 50*1.38=69.

So if Forb gets 110 APM that really means he has around 150 APM, the same as some of the "calmer" progamers.
knorke

Post by knorke »

googling a bit seems SC2 apm is very strange:
-It is apm in the "most intense" moment, whatever that means.
(Probally that it is "maximum apm" and not average over whole game. Imo only average over whole game has any meaning)
-fail with game time vs real time
-the way it is calculated keeps getting changed
-config so that turning mousewheel=click and spin spin spin = super high troll apm
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It isn't uncommon for even noob players to spike well over 200 apm during battles.

Depending on what I'm doing (blink micro, ff micro, etc) I'll hit up to 250 at times.

That number really doesn't mean shit though. It just means you're pressing buttons and clicking a lot. Just because you're doing it fast doesn't mean you're doing anything useful.

Fwiw, my apm playing zerg is a hell of a lot higher due to the massively increased micro needed for zerg mechanics.

Once again though... apm just means that you're clicking the mouse and pressing buttons really fast. Doesn't mean you're actually doing anything useful. I could get 200 apm simply ordering an overlord around if it came to that.
scifi

Post by scifi »

well 200 apm, good luck finding diamond players that reach that amount(i know i was one of them).

if you reach 60 to 70 up to 100 while on combat, and you use control groups on average its all you need, i think more than that your doing a lot of wasted actions per minute, it can be considered training but i dunno.

Even with my less than poor apm i almost reached grandmaster on Wings of liberty, now since HOTS came out im not in the mood to shell out more money for what i consider a fucking patch.

Still i think in terms of micro all of them pan out, even though zerg is more demanding in terms of larva/queen management, protoss can be demanding on chrono, force field and unit micro. But then again i never played the new zerg units in HOTS.

So i dunno how SC2 calculates apm now, i think its the same?

/endofrant
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Dude... gold leaguers hit 200 apm during battles. That's not uncommon.

During macro times they tend to sink to about 50 or so, but still, it's not how many times you can press a button, it's whether you do it at the right times or not :-D
pintle

Post by pintle »

I have always thought APM is a poor measure of skill. I have consistently beaten players 1v1 with far higher APM than myself.

Good decisions, planning, anticipation, and execution matter orders of magnitude more than the speed of your input.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Even though it hardly was the point in this thread, APM itself might indeed not be a good measure of skill but given players with exact same tactics, knowledge and strategical plan, the one who has the maximum amount of useful actions-per-minute is much more likely to win over the one who has less. :P
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

tzaeru wrote:Even though it hardly was the point in this thread, APM itself might indeed not be a good measure of skill but given players with exact same tactics, knowledge and strategical plan, the one who has the maximum amount of useful actions-per-minute is much more likely to win over the one who has less. :P
Sure, but as a guideline for good players that is useless :D You'll often see players just click around for the sake of clicking. Clicking gives the player a false sense of usefulness :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

So true, and I do it myself.

Oddly I don't when playing evo or other rts games, but sc2 makes me anxious. Apm spamming gives my anxiety a release :-)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

knorke wrote:googling a bit seems SC2 apm is very strange:
-It is apm in the "most intense" moment, whatever that means.
(Probally that it is "maximum apm" and not average over whole game. Imo only average over whole game has any meaning)
troll apm
The score screen shows average APM. Replays show current APM.
knorke wrote: -fail with game time vs real time
-the way it is calculated keeps getting changed
Please elaborate. The game has multiple speed settings, where normal=realtime and fastest is ~1.33 x realtime. I don't think they changed this calculation, has been that way since SC1 as far as I know..

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”