Why not SpringRTS? - Page 5

Why not SpringRTS?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Why not SpringRTS?

Post by smoth »

not like any of the people around here don't have ideas of our own to do. It is a difficult problem but beyond helping people with bits or bobs, most people don't want to be second fiddle.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

actually- its a give and take thing. Offer a deal- you write this or that part of the animation system, in return i offer your project this or that service.
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:actually- its a give and take thing. Offer a deal- you write this or that part of the animation system, in return i offer your project this or that service.
with respect to the dune thing? no, it was do all the code for an idea you had/have no input on. You know, like work but they don't pay you.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

smoth wrote:back then noob to pro was missing steps to create the armature
Oh, that. It's just another object so either use the search text field in the space bar menu (the main menu of Blender) or select it in the shift-A (add object) menu. Then hit tab to enter the edit mode and modify the bones (same as with any other editable object). I guess the tutorial assumed you'd have dealt with other object types before.

I'm a shit animator too but with modern tools the quality you get even as a terrible animator is leagues beyond what you see in Spring.
smoth

Post by smoth »

is noob to pro still relevant? or it hasn't been updated to the new ui?
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

! Kloot do you know how to do blender animation? I need someone to donate some time to do a few for one of my models so I can use it as a base to write said exporter! Can you help?
Smoth that would be freaking awesome if you could make a blender animation exporter.

I am not yet up to to the animation stage yet but I have been dreading trying to get animation out of the spring tools. This has been the one major roadblock I have foreseen in my spring development roadmap.

My friend who is doing some game dev with me is a blender artist and animator. If you need some one to do a good animation for you I think I could ask him, and he would do it.

If this would help you to write a blender animation exporter it would seriously be the best thing.

This is the only issue that has had me seriously looking for alternative to spring. (I haven't found any that work for me) But I have been blindly hoping that by the time I need to start animating units that some thing magically will have been done about the animation exporting. Or else I will have crap animation for my game.

Any way if there is any thing that I can offer to help with any of your projects I will be most willing, because an blender animation exporter will be the answer to my hopes and dreams.

The main things I think that I can offer at the moment that may be useful are organising voice acting and editing and post production for any trailers or advertisement that you will do for you projects.

(My wife is a voice actor and I have a small home studio setup, and I have other friends who are professional voice actors, and I am a film maker, so I could add a professional polish to any videos.)

You may not be interested in any of this but I wanted to offer, because it would be awesome to have a noob friendly animation system, and these are the main skills that I have that you may need.

I could also look into sound effects cause I have background in sound, but you may have that sorted for your projects.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Zealot wrote:[...]
I could also look into sound effects cause I have background in sound, but you may have that sorted for your projects.
Last I've been here, the engine and later many mods were trying to get rid of the original Total Annihilation content. One of the things that is very hard to replace is the sounds (futuristic sounds). It would be awesome to have sound-packs to use in the SpringRTS games.

By the way, I volunteered to handle the sounds for the game Lincity-NG (a remake a Lincity, which is a remake of Simcity for Linux) and it was very rewarding (and I ended up with my name in the credits and everything). I imagine that if you do something at least decent, you may also use it to build up your CV, like "Creator of the sound pack xyz, used by the Mods zyx" (*).

* that can be a very rewarding way to «work» on this kind of free projects. Though one would better do it with some care, like creating sound packs instead of isolated sounds, so the contributions can be attributed to someone specific and don't end up diluted in a mess of others' sounds.

By the way, wasn't one of the original developers of SpringRTS pulled into a job in the creation of Far Cry?
smoth

Post by smoth »

no it was an rts I cannot remember the name even though I do own it :(. It was JCNossen.

We had several sound packs around here I just don't know what their names are and lost my archives of them at some point. that doesn't mean you cannot submit stuff, I am sure the BAR or ZK guys would happily gobble them up
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

smoth wrote:is noob to pro still relevant? or it hasn't been updated to the new ui?
Dunno, where is it? Pretty sure space has always been the main menu though it used to be simply hierarchical instead of requiring you to use a search box to find anything. If it's outdated there are probably some newer tutorials on Blender.org.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I don't know of any non-copyright infringing games which use copyright infringing sounds. I collected and messed with the sounds for ZK, it's not that hard to do (and it's even easier if you don't mind CC licenses). Kanoba made a pack of sounds to replace those in BA, I'm not a fan of them and some of the sounds match their description instead of what they are actually used for (there is an OTA sound called Burn which is the construction sound) but they work well enough.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Do any projects actually need or want sounds at the moment?

Im organising the voiceovers for Battletech Legacy and that should be done by next week, or so.
smoth

Post by smoth »

pm behe and ask him

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”