PoE Descent races

PoE Descent races

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

scifi

PoE Descent races

Post by scifi »

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-t ... 870/page/1

gimme some of that. :mrgreen:

1 hour races, your char gets deleated at the end, no RNG, predefined loot drops, no party, no town, no portals, no repeating areas.

The skill is to design your character to defeat certain chalenges along the way(bosses etc) and use what loot you have available in a wise fassion.

Any loot gained wont be available afterwards, but there are reward tiers for certain items.
Last edited by scifi on 26 Jun 2013, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: PoE Descent races

Post by zwzsg »

scifi wrote:no RNG
Roguelike :?:
:roll:
scifi

Post by scifi »

zwzsg wrote:
Yup that just hit me :mrgreen: ,PoE is nothing similar to a roguelike.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

scifi wrote:
zwzsg wrote:
I saw the term "roguelikelike" floated in an article recently to describe these action RPGs that borrow the themes and mechanics but divest of the things that really make a roguelike like rogue.

That said, the Descent races they are describing are actually pretty roguelike...
scifi

Post by scifi »

SinbadEV wrote:
scifi wrote:
zwzsg wrote: :roll:
I saw the term "roguelikelike" floated in an article recently to describe these action RPGs that borrow the themes and mechanics but divest of the things that really make a roguelike like rogue.

That said, the Descent races they are describing are actually pretty roguelike...
That was the first thing that passed on my mind, but after zwsg post i recalled that roguelikes were all about RNG, perma death and randomized dungeons, and a bit about turn based combat(but we can overlook this last element). Even if its inspired its nothing of the sorts, and i digressed a bit. So what about the races themselves do you guys feel any interest in playing them?
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

I have yet to finish the regular campaign. Still haven't gone past the Solaris Temple.

I kinda like the idea of having shortish races, no longer than 1 hour, starting from scratch, so farmers don't get a head up. But then, it takes me so long to finish games that maybe I won't like the idea of playing for then losing all my progress at the end.
rattle
Damned Developer

Re: AW: PoE Descent races

Post by rattle »

Isn't it in a way more like gauntlet than rogue?
SinbadEV

Re: AW: PoE Descent races

Post by SinbadEV »

rattle wrote:Isn't it in a way more like gauntlet than rogue?
+1

I've been wishing someone would make a proper refresh of the Gauntlet franchise (something between the Dark Legacy era versions and the NES era Classic)... but maybe there already is one in the form of one of these action RPGs...
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Yesterday I played the demo of Teleglitch, which could be described as a Gauntlet-like roguelike-like. The graphism are a mess, but otherwise the gameplay is really good.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

smoth

Post by smoth »

zwzsg wrote:Yesterday I played the demo of Teleglitch, which could be described as a Gauntlet-like roguelike-like. The graphism are a mess, but otherwise the gameplay is really good.
I watch a few videos.. looked neat but I am sick of these lazy indie devs giving us programer graphics.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”