Torchlight Free and DRM Free On GOG

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

http://j.mp/Torch_FreeGOG

Until Thursday, 2013, June 20, at 12:59PM GMT

This is the third copy I "own" (four if you count the Steam copy that came with the first one.) Haven't actually played it in a while... should probably get around to doing so again...

EDIT: Sale Over
Last edited by SinbadEV on 21 Jun 2013, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpelstiltskin

Re: Torchlight Free and DRM Free On GOG

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Torchlight 1 is so absolete.
Even the first, despite being an ok Hack and slash, was obsolete at release.
Hack and slash games, the way they keep making them, are too shallow for the contemporary multi-ganre games.

Want the best hack and slash experience? Play a roguelike like Crawl or nethack or Tales Of majeyal or incursion...
Many more classes, many more races many more features, game content ,interactivity with the world and on and on...
Yes it doesnt have nice gfx but its so rich with content and replayability..
Unfortunately the hack and slahs genre is full of diablo clones.
Story driven hack and slashes where you must best a linear campaign.

If only modern hack and slashes had gone more towards roguelikes.
Randomness, Re-playability, increased interaction with the game world..
People are impatient anyway why is it so hard to believe people prefer a perma-death, replayable, random world over a long ass(and usually childish or cliche) campaign?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It's spelt Obsolete. Also, genre.

I find it funny that you use a 26 year old game as a counter-exemple.

As for Torchlight 1, sure it's not revolutionary, nor even innovative, but it's a well made game that is rather enjoyable.
Rumpelstiltskin

Which one do you mean? You mean the rogue-likes? They are not developed by a dedicated big team..
They are hobby projects.
And no, torchlight 1 is not fun. IT gets boring extremely fast and is a pure monotone grind.
Can play any number of free MMORPGs and get the exact same "fun".
Rumpelstiltskin

The question is, why would I want a crippled Diablo 2 clone?
OK it's cheaper than an AAA title but why would I want to play such a game at all, even if it's free..
gajop

Post by gajop »

because if you are a fan of the genre (I'm not), you may want to explore more content or enjoy a different game?

imagine someone asking "why would I play a crippled Supreme Commander clone? (when referring to TA-like Spring games)
Rumpelstiltskin

Issue is Ta like spring games are not crippled clones of Supcom.
In some senses they are worse(buggier hard to install and get to work and shittier smaller community) but in other ways they are better and have more features.
More unit types, deformable terrain, not so demanding on the system..
Spring has many advantages over supcom.What advantages does torchlight 1 or 2 have over Diablo 2?
None except modern WoW like gfx.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Torchlight is pretty moddable... I admit it grew old after about 20 hours of play but 20/Free=Infinite Value!
gajop

Post by gajop »

I haven't played TL1, but TL2 has obvious advantages, it's even better than Diablo 3 in some ways.
Some of the things that I like:
Pet courier system for selling items/buying simple stuff.
And...
Actually, just read this: http://kotaku.com/5943951/torchlight-ii ... ad-to-make (first result on my google search).
Rumpelstiltskin

I didnt mention Diablo 3 cause Diablo 3 has much less features than Diablo 2.Diablo 3 sux.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

NetHack dates from 1987.

I don't recall having to kill mobs for hours on the same spot to farm XP or money or whatever, so I would not be calling Torchlight 1 grindy nor would I compare it to a free MMORPG. In Torchlight 1 I played one level after another, without looking back, except when I died. Maybe with a few side maps, but that was more for fun and challenge than because I needed to farm anything. The levels and the monsters encountered changed regularly, and the loot was varied, so I wasn't bored.

It's well possible that you don't like the gameplay of Hack'n'Slash. Personnaly I regret the impossibility to move and fire at the same time in different direction for instance.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Well what about Path of exile, theres enough replayability and customization plus the maps are random generated. And you get endgame maps by drops. Only thing that doesnt check out is the linear story arc.

Its THE best RPG out. Compared with torchligth II Diablo III, grimdawn(even though this is still in alpha).

To me RPGs, must have what i call enjoyable grind, the combat must be chalenging mutch more than a simple hack and slash, i feel path of exile delivers this quite well.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

When I played TL1 I played as an Alchemist (I believe) and focussed on summoning... I was on a relatively easy setting so all I did was summon imps and golems and such with my left hand while avoiding getting shot and shooting ranged attacks with right mouse hand... it was silly and fun.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

The pet courier system for selling/buying items dates from Fate (the little known predecessor of Torchlight), so I couldn't count it as a TL1 innovation, even though to my dismay few later HnS have it. (I heard Van Helsing "pet" (wouldn't it be wrong to call a lady a pet, even if she's a ghost?) has it though!)
Rumpelstiltskin

she is not a lady she is a wraith.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

POE is designed around constant re-rolling, which is frustrating to me. Also, the moment you beat normal, you start having ridiculous death penalties that take away experience.

They think that they are so trendsetting by being non-casual, whereas in fact they are just making it so that casual players like myself won't touch it.

TL is neat, but I hate the bland artwork.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

The general consensus seems to be that TL was pretty entertaining for a glorified tech demo.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Well, the deal for free TL1 is gone... but they are having a redonkulous Solstice sale:

http://j.mp/NoDRMSummer
smoth

Post by smoth »

SinbadEV wrote:The general consensus seems to be that TL was pretty entertaining for a glorified tech demo.
I like when you talk shit about other people's development efforts. TL1 was fairly boring but what it did was produce a simple diablo style arpg. It raised enough money for them to make TL2 which is fun to play.

It'd like to see you pull off 1/4th of TL1 then tell me about tech demos. Honestly.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I've had my share of fun with TL1 for a while even though I'm not a big fan of the diabloesque skill tree system and hotkey bashing at all.

I like it when people consider their opinion to be the general rule.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”