New Console Generation - Page 2

New Console Generation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: New Console Generation

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:people buy those because near zero bugs- near zero installation stuff.
not everyone on the planet is a linux power user. Some of them even find windows hard to use.
the right to play games on a pc has to be earned by hardwork on the config files and setup.

Which is wrong.
Steam.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

ZKonsole!
a branded version of one of the open consoles, that ships with ZK that auto-updates...
or .. what if you get these open console manufacturers to ship with ZK as a free, pree-installed game?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:people buy those because near zero bugs- near zero installation stuff.
not everyone on the planet is a linux power user. Some of them even find windows hard to use.
the right to play games on a pc has to be earned by hardwork on the config files and setup.

Which is wrong.
Steam.
Damn you introducing the future to my past ..

but yeah, if we had steam pre-xbox, the whole console thing might aswell never have happend. Unless, of course - for steam you need your pc well setup, you still need to manually upgrade your drivers. The OS might step in and prevent further entertaiment.
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote: for steam you need your pc well setup, you still need to manually upgrade your drivers. The OS might step in and prevent further entertaiment.
yo dog, I heard you didn't know about console updates.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Funny thing to find this thread, since I just bought a xbox 360. I would very much prefer to buy .. anything not Microsoft (nor Apple, if they had any). Paying Microsoft for the "right" to access the Internet is an example of what I always want to avoid with those kind of companies and the future looks even grimmer with them. But I did buy the xbox reluctantly, exclusively because of the dance games.

The bundle came with Kinect Adventures, which is nice. I then tried Fighters Uncaged, which I though was mind-blowing and made me think no dance game would ever overcome it. And then I tried Dance Central and .. freaking hell it is so much fun!!! Mind-blowing squared!

As far as next generations go, I hope that Sony delivers a much better alternative to Kinect. Not only so I have access to a non-Microsoft alternative, but mostly because the Kinect is very lacking in quality - it is very good functionally, but all it does, it does poorly: its responsiveness is slow and unreliable.

I yearn for a movement tracking system that is more responsive, that detects my movements better and that doesn't try to rape me commercially.
smoth

Post by smoth »

To be fair the new kenect may be better paul
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

Consoles are for dumbass who don't know what hardware to get for gaming, and pay extra $10 per games on shitty hardware.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Prominence wrote:Consoles are for dumbass who don't know what hardware to get for gaming, and pay extra $10 per games on shitty hardware.
Except when you take things like exclusive releases and specialized peripherals into account... This is an artificial advantage but one that major Publishers seem to support because they like to deal with as few variables as possible.

Imagine if SpringRTS only ever had to contend with the exact same Video hardware... how many fewer complaints we'd get from noobs using ATI cards or Intel chipsets or those "not actually a GPU" things in most laptops.
smoth

Post by smoth »

SinbadEV wrote:Imagine if SpringRTS only ever had to contend with the exact same Video hardware... how many fewer complaints we'd get from noobs using ATI cards or Intel chipsets or those "not actually a GPU" things in most laptops.
or how I would have left for a future friendly engine to seek out one that would be better suited for the future as independent projects take years to build and by the time my project would be done, I would have to look at upgrading it for the next console.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:Imagine if SpringRTS only ever had to contend with the exact same Video hardware... how many fewer complaints we'd get from noobs using ATI cards or Intel chipsets or those "not actually a GPU" things in most laptops.
or how I would have left for a future friendly engine to seek out one that would be better suited for the future as independent projects take years to build and by the time my project would be done, I would have to look at upgrading it for the next console.
Yesm, there isn't exact parity in my example. I was simply pointing out that for a Publisher, who makes the majority of their sales within a few months of release, the negative word of mouth caused by users trying to run their product on a system that can't handle it and complaining about it would be quite damaging to the bottom line compared to the relative ease of being able to test the product on only the exact same hardware that your potential customer would be using.
scifi

Post by scifi »

I bet everyone one of you already knows, but here it is:
Way to go to gamers and PS4, forcing Microsofts hand :mrgreen:
An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I would have to look at upgrading it for the next console.
Appearently the opposite, it seems consoles change less often than PC hardware.
For example playstation:
PS2 came out 2000
PS3 came out 2006
Production of P2 console ended 2013 and new games were released until 2012/13.
(numbers from wikipedia, nowadays i do all my gaming on the ipad)
So that is 13 years of PS2. For the PS3 it might be similiar, it already is 7 years old.
Compare that to how many new graphic cards or complete PC csystems the average gamer will have bought during 7 or even 13 years.
scifi

Post by scifi »

some fun stats ive found browsing the internet

The Xbox One has the following specs;

8 Core AMD Processor
8GB DDR3 RAM
Blu Ray Player
500GB HDD

A pc for the same price range
LG Black 12X BD-ROM – $49.99

DIYPC MiniQ7-W USB 3.0 w/Dual White Fans White – $29.99

Hitachi GST Deskstar E7K500 – $37.99

Diablotek PDA Series PDA-550BW 550W – $53.99

Silicon Power 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 - $53.99

ASRock A55M-VS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX – $42.99

AMD Athlon II X4 651K Llano 3.0GHz – $84.99

ASUS HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7770 GHz – $129.99

Total? A cool $483.92
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

You are mistaken if you think Xbox One is low value for the money. They are selling these things at a loss. It seems a lot of people find the Xbox One desirable. On the other hand I doubt many gamers would be overjoyed to have that plasticy anno 2011 PC you just listed. I also doubt that it has actual performance anywhere near an Xbox One when running the same games.
With Xbox One you are also paying for the software, so you will need to add another $100 for Windows 7 to make any meaningful comparison. You also left out the cost of mouse and keyboard to equal the controller that comes with Xbox. Oh and where's the kinetic? Good luck beating that price today, MS made huge deals you can't to bring it down that low. Years of R&D.

Piracy is also hurting PC game sales and consoles help keep game studios alive and making the games people seem to enjoy.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Cheesecan wrote:You are mistaken if you think Xbox One is low value for the money. They are selling these things at a loss. It seems a lot of people find the Xbox One desirable. On the other hand I doubt many gamers would be overjoyed to have that plasticy anno 2011 PC you just listed. I also doubt that it has actual performance anywhere near an Xbox One when running the same games.
With Xbox One you are also paying for the software, so you will need to add another $100 for Windows 7 to make any meaningful comparison. You also left out the cost of mouse and keyboard to equal the controller that comes with Xbox. Oh and where's the kinetic? Good luck beating that price today, MS made huge deals you can't to bring it down that low. Years of R&D.

Piracy is also hurting PC game sales and consoles help keep game studios alive and making the games people seem to enjoy.
You're not accounting for the fact that consoles are not upgradeable. many users do not need to buy a whole new PC and only need to upgrade their current one, and probably already own controls and Windows operating system. They also do not need to sign a contract with Microsoft and pay them for use of the Internet and multi-player functions.

Edit: almost forgot you also can use real money on PCs, rather than stupid Microsoft Points
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

If this is another console vs windows battle, im going to place my hat on the side of the bash.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I bought my Xbox 360 because of exclusive games I wanted to play. You missed out on a lot, but you don't know it.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Cheesecan wrote:You are mistaken if you think Xbox One is low value for the money. They are selling these things at a loss. It seems a lot of people find the Xbox One desirable. On the other hand I doubt many gamers would be overjoyed to have that plasticy anno 2011 PC you just listed. I also doubt that it has actual performance anywhere near an Xbox One when running the same games.

Sorry but, performance wise its near or better, i actualy took that from an article.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/xbox ... omparison/

ill just quote this from a comment below
"You dont buy a new TV just because you got a new console"- imagine the price of that.

As pointed out further down the post - this was deliberately left out, as were peripherals. Why? For several reasons - one being you do not pay for the direct cost of the OS with a console. Two - people have numerous ways to obtain legitimate copies of an operating system. In the UK we have schemes with universities and government departments that work with Microsoft as part of the DreamSpark scheme which allows you to obtain them free.

Colleges etc you can pick it up for $20. Or you could get it all for free by taking the Linux route - which is growing tremendously.

Peripherals - people don't tend to buy them new with every single machine and pass them down. Monitor? Well...you don't buy a brand new TV every time you buy a console.

Not to mention most games that were showcased were runing on PC dev kits. Again link http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-O ... 56737.html

i dont want to start a console v PC war, i think both gaming platforms are great, but the point of those specs were to show that consoles arent there yet. All E3 was about consoles, witch is great i dont mind it at all, but come on dont come showing off great trailers and ingame videos, that arent the real deal.......

Imagine those games runing on the pc listed on my previous post, thats the kind of performance and graphics settings one would get on the future xbox, ofc this is speculating a bit, but im not impressed.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

The crucial difference between a console and a pc is that you literally need a pc to live. No different from food. In fact I think a "pc vs food" debate is more appropriate.
scifi

Post by scifi »

CarRepairer wrote:The crucial difference between a console and a pc is that you literally need a pc to live. No different from food. In fact I think a "pc vs food" debate is more appropriate.
8) pcs for noobs, my food has a memory storage capacity, phew, it can store Tera bytes of carbon hidrates.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”