New Console Generation - Page 3

New Console Generation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

pintle

Re: New Console Generation

Post by pintle »

Cheesecan wrote:I bought my Xbox 360 because of exclusive games I wanted to play. You missed out on a lot, but you don't know it.
Could you elaborate on which games those were please?

I was discussing console exclusives with a few friends recently. Beyond Halo, we struggled to think of a single other example of Xbox exclusives, or at least games that we would be interested in. Tekken, on the other hand...
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Saints row?Gears of war?Ninja gaiden?

Not to me though.
I wouldn't play any of these, including halo, but for many these games are legend.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Halo, Forza, Fable, Final Fantasy, Gears of War, Catherine, Dark Souls. Plus months in advance Mass Effect, GTA4, etc.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Saints row?Gears of war?Ninja gaiden?

Not to me though.
I wouldn't play any of these, including halo, but for many these games are legend.
I wouldn't play any game on a console. But that is only because I don't like feeling handicapped. For others these games might be fun.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

klapmongool wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Saints row?Gears of war?Ninja gaiden?

Not to me though.
I wouldn't play any game on a console. But that is only because I don't like feeling handicapped. For others these games might be fun.
Many games for xbox are ported to pc with awful controls..so when given the choice I usually prefer xbox. Xbox is also way nicer for casual gaming i.e. beers on the couch with some friends and Street Fighter 4.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

pintle wrote:... Beyond Halo, we struggled to think of a single other example of Xbox exclusives, or at least games that we would be interested in. ...
Even though I hate Microsoft my guts out, dancing on Kinect (Dance Central, especially, but I'm aiming at Star Wars Galactic Dance Off as well) was the selling point for me (and about the only selling point).

Played 2 sessions before yesterday. Played the whole morning of yesterday and a lot in the afternoon. My body is completely sore.

Even though dancing is not my style (throwing my arms into the air during Knights of Cydonia in a Muse concert is as far as I've went in my whole life), I must say I've been having metric tons of fun!!!
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Cheesecan wrote: Many games for xbox are ported to pc with awful controls..so when given the choice I usually prefer xbox. Xbox is also way nicer for casual gaming i.e. beers on the couch with some friends and Street Fighter 4.
Can't get over that handicapped feeling though.

Unless...
PauloMorfeo wrote: Even though I hate Microsoft my guts out, dancing on Kinect (Dance Central, especially, but I'm aiming at Star Wars Galactic Dance Off as well) was the selling point for me (and about the only selling point).
Stuff like dancing games or tennis on the wii. For those the controls are better than keyboard/mouse.
dimm

Post by dimm »

klapmongool wrote:I don't like consoles at all, for a myriad of reasons. But I hope both MS and Sony will release the specs soon so I know what gfx card I need to buy to be able to play all games for the next 10 years.
This.

I want to play a dancing game on my PC. Can anyone gimme a link to the peripheral?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

dimm wrote:
klapmongool wrote:I don't like consoles at all, for a myriad of reasons. But I hope both MS and Sony will release the specs soon so I know what gfx card I need to buy to be able to play all games for the next 10 years.
This.

I want to play a dancing game on my PC. Can anyone gimme a link to the peripheral?
http://www.ddrgame.com/pcdancepad.html

This was only the first link from a google search, so not necessarily the best or the cheapest. Additional research recommended for the serious.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

luckywaldo7 wrote:
dimm wrote:
This.

http://www.ddrgame.com/pcdancepad.html

This was only the first link from a google search, so not necessarily the best or the cheapest. Additional research recommended for the serious.
Just be careful to ensure the pad you get allows up+down and left+right... otherwise most ddr games and clones are unplayable on higher than easy (AKA, SinbadEV bought a cheap one and regrets it)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Between the XB1 and PS4 I choose the Sega Genesis and a Super Nintendo on top of that!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

People try to put them d-down (Talkin' 'bout this generation)
Just because they get around (Talkin' 'bout this generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout this generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout this generation)

This is no regeneration
This is the last generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout this generation)
Don't try to dig what they all s-s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout this generation)
I'm not trying to 'cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout this generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout a consoleg-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout a not generous ration)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

:mrgreen:
pintle

Post by pintle »

Cheesecan wrote:Halo, Forza, Fable, Final Fantasy, Gears of War, Catherine, Dark Souls. Plus months in advance Mass Effect, GTA4, etc.
Of that list, Forza and Dark Souls are the only 2 that I would be excited about.

I'm not trying to diss Xbox etc, just I've always been curious as to what drew the self-proclaimed "hardcore" console gamers (oxymoron?) to Microsoft over Sony.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I am hyped as fuck about the new kinect sensor in the xbox but for dev and civillian stuff, not for games. I guess Ill get one in the long run just for that and see how the games stack up. We have been playing a lot of split screen mario kart (emulated wii) with friends recently and I am def interested in if these new consoles have anything that is like that but i fear the trend is towards online multi and not party games, so I guess what we will end up playing with in the future is still gonna be an emulated nintendo :)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

pintle wrote: I'm not trying to diss Xbox etc, just I've always been curious as to what drew the self-proclaimed "hardcore" console gamers (oxymoron?) to Microsoft over Sony.
For a long time you could pick up a Xbox360 with a couple of games for the same price as just the PS3 base.

In the age of piratebay, Blu-ray wasn't a huge draw. The Cell processor seemed nice, but PS3 only had some fighting games, racing games and japanese manga games for a long time. Meanwhile Xbox360 had games that otherwise required a $1800 PC to play.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I was planning to get the new Xbox purely for Halo 5 and 6 when they're released but even though I'm an avid Halo fan, it's certainly not worth paying £429 for.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Cheesecan wrote:Piracy is also hurting PC game sales and consoles help keep game studios alive and making the games people seem to enjoy.
Cheesecan wrote:Meanwhile Xbox360 had games that otherwise required a $1800 PC to play.
Lol.

Microsoft employee detected.
Cheesecan wrote:i.e. beers on the couch with some friends and Street Fighter 4.
Ok, fair enough, I can toast to that.

Although my friends and I have learned how to hook up a TV and XBox controllers to a PC.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

CarRepairer wrote:The crucial difference between a console and a pc is that you literally need a pc to live. No different from food. In fact I think a "pc vs food" debate is more appropriate.
Uh. No, you don't need a PC to live. It makes your way of life possible, it certainly provides access to resources and people who would otherwise be inaccessible, but you can live without it.

That said, I agree with the central point, which is that a PC is far more important than a console in most of our lives.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Well I sit in front of a PC the whole day at the office. On certain days when I'm feeling particularly lazy, I go home and chill out on the couch with the xbox. On other days I want the more expressive feeling of PC gaming. I think they complement each other rather than cancel each other out.

I wouldn't have said the same before I got the xbox though. Back then I felt consoles were synonymous with casual and/or kiddie games. When I grew up most console games really were like that.

As for the microsoft employee detected comment, I'm not. I write software for a living and wouldn't want to start up a software company just to have my work pirated. Then again I'm not vehemently against piracy, I just think people should be able to continue earning a living doing what they enjoy and are good at.

Most people don't think they are entitled to go into a store and rob the owner blind. But perhaps 2/3rds (made up number) of youths think the same thing is fine if the victim is a software company. Simply because the victim is far removed so consequences are less apparent.

But if the scales tip too far that software company goes out of business and everyone loses; the consumer, the employees and their families, etc. If you think that is morally fine, then I don't think you are deserving of anything. You should try living without and see how you like that. For certain, it is not something you are entitled to. If you appreciate something you should support it. Reversely, if you don't appreciate it let the market kill it. Corporations spend huge amounts of money in advertising to fool consumers into buying products based on lies. I prefer to see the bad products vanish rather than be kept alive by regretful consumers. Long live the market.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”