Don't Starve

Don't Starve

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Don't Starve

Post by smoth »

When I saw the art, I thought, what is this hipster rubbish.

I wanted an rpg though and this read like a horror survival. It didn't disappoint.

for whatever reason you play a kid dropped off in the woods. With minecraft like mentality you have to build axes, chop trees down and other tasks. However there is a great twist.

sanity.

You ever get that creepy feeling walking down a hallway and night thinking if you just turned around for one second you would see the most terrifying thing?

well your guy is alone in a wilderness and if you are not vigilent, you will find yourself in the grips of horrible hallucinations which will reach out of the very shadows to kill you.

to say the game is a challenge would be reasonable and there is no way to simply hide out in your fortress, you will need to be clever and plan your survival well. Once you have been able to survive, not starve to death, not die, and not be devoured by the terrors in the shadows, well, have fun freezing to death.

this game is, in my mind, what minecraft should have been.
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Don't Starve

Post by Neddie »

Well, ignoring your initial "hipster rubbish" comment - elitism is fractal, after all - you've sold me. That sounds delightful, I like (in)sanity as a supermechanic, but in general I find it limited to very focused games such as Amnesia or Penumbra. I'm eager to see how it interlocks with the physical survival demands.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

The best thing about Hipster games is that they are highly likely to show up in Humble Bundles.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

First I read the text, I thought this sounds pretty interesting. Then, the huge ass image finally finished loading and I looked up at it and I thought - what is this hipster crap.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Johannes wrote:what is this hipster crap.
^see, I am not the only one who though the art looked like some sort of pretentious hipster did it.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

"We're deathly afraid of that stabbing word "pretentious," the word that students use to curse each other's ambition. It's a young person's word, a shortcut-to-thinking word. I'm a big fan of pretension. It means "an aspiration or intention that may or may not reach fulfillment." It doesn't mean failing upward. It means trying to exceed your grasp. Which is how things grow." - Warren Ellis, an admittedly pretentious man.
smoth

Post by smoth »

^ needie is demonstrating hipster
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Whatever, the art looks like crap anyhow.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Yeah, way to high resolution. Should be pixly and retro
smoth

Post by smoth »

Johannes wrote:Whatever, the art looks like crap anyhow.
It works in motion but looks meh in sceenshots
Panda

Post by Panda »

This game looked awesome! I liked it when the character started to lose his mind and the shadows came out and started haunting him.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Yeah! I play this game! I had the similar initial reaction to smoth's -- "this looks like Minecraft but with sketchy art to make it different." But then I played it, and it's great!

Also, losing your whole save file when you die adds a whole ton of tension to things. All in all, the game is very immersive for me. After playing for a while, I start jumping at sudden noises in real life (although that might not necessarily be a good thing).

Here (minor spoilers) is my current base camp. You guys should post yours (also stories of your adventures)!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I kind of lost interest when I realized that there were crucial, non-replenishable resources.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Neddie wrote:I kind of lost interest when I realized that there were crucial, non-replenishable resources.
That bothered me at first, but the world's big enough that you'll build everything before you even begin running out of resources.

...unless you want to make a gigantic multi-biome beehive-castle or something like that. But why would you want to do that?
dimm

Post by dimm »

Played it didn't like it too much walking around x country.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Neddie wrote:I kind of lost interest when I realized that there were crucial, non-replenishable resources.
Such as? Crucial is survival, most things needed for that are found around the game. Once you go into maxwell's door you have a whole different place to contend with

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”