Bitcoin mining made easy - Page 27

Bitcoin mining made easy

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

cheapsheep
Lobby Developer

Re: Bitcoin mining made easy

Post by cheapsheep »

PicassoCT wrote:One has to admit that the hardest mining people over the last years - were the guys in banks and ministrys. Undermining that is.
Source?
Most "guys in banks and ministrys" are not bankers and ministers. They are just employees who happen to work there.
And I don't understand what point you are trying to make. Undermining... confidence in bitcoin because the early miners were "part of the bad system"? Or the opposite, such as "bankers know why bitcoin would be successful in the long term"?
PicassoCT wrote:If it is such a success-story, and you have so much trust in it. Why so pushing then? Why not just relax, take a drink and watch the bodys of the currency battle float by downstream?
I don't know if the question is for me, because I don't think I'm pushing it... unless clearing disinformation blockade is it.
And do you really believe you can influence the price of bitcoins by "pushing it" in spring forum? :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Because you have begun to see every statement that doesn't hail it as a rampaging success as an attack? I think Varion is greatly overstating the success and usefulness of bitcoin.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mainstream
a prevailing current or direction of activity or influence
Prevailing means it has defeated something... so I cannot say bitcoin has done that. I cannot say it has really changed the direction of anything. You can try and strawman or slippery slope all you want, but none of the places I shop at accept bitcoin outside of internet shops like amazon. Until bitcoin is as widely accepted as say credit cards are now, I do not feel it has prevailed at anything. I do not feel it is the current direction people are going. I think stores are supporting it online because they like money and it is fairly easy to support. That is part of what the credit card companies take out of the payments, the convenience fee as it were. I get your arguments against that! My favorite doughnut shop has politely asked me before to pay in cash to avoid credit card companies taking a cut, and I pay them in cash.

I am not here to piss in your cheereos, I don't see bitcoin as anything more than a curiosity and don't really care one way or another as it doesn't effect me. An expression comes to mind "what does that have to do with the price of rice in china?" As in, it isn't even important to me, I am just raising an issue with the "THROUGH THE MOON" overly optimistic nature things are posted here. It is not some pot of gold, it is a thing which if it IS mainstream I will see more often and am likely to adopt if I feel it is convenient. However, it is currently largely useless to me as I cannot use it anywhere but a few select places online. SO I do not agree with the likelihood that it'll be mainstream.

I think it is VERY silly that you guys get so up in arms with it. I might be wrong, I might be right, it doesn't really matter we are just talking.
cheapsheep
Lobby Developer

Post by cheapsheep »

smoth wrote: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mainstream
a prevailing current or direction of activity or influence
Prevailing means it has defeated something... so I cannot say bitcoin has done that. I cannot say it has really changed the direction of anything.
This definition is rather strict indeed, more than I thought.
So note that, by definition, it will never ever be mainstream for in-store purchases. Because, by fiat decree, every business has to accept local fiat money, so there is no chance for bitcoin to be accepted by more place than every business (that is, until state/fiat money fails).
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

smoth wrote:Why or never? Who says it won't slowly gain footing via the internet shops?
The exponential adoption rates of technologies. The adoption of Bitcoin has displayed the most steep S curve of any technology, ever.
cheapsheep wrote:That's a bit too much... also, for a business time=money and it takes time to understand bitcoin. Sure, the payment processor currently used by a business may add bitcoin support and this would result in zero cost to business, but I think it will not be the majority.
This technology has no friction. Therefore only knowledge and a decision is required. A year is plenty for the knowledge to reach "mainstream".
And on his CNN appearance (http://bit.ly/19l0kkO ) he specifically called out Amazon and said the major retailers will have to accept Bitcoin because otherwise they will be giving up this market segment without a fight and he doubts they will do that. Considering Bitcoin's first 24 hours of sales at Overstock accounting for about 4.5% of annualized revenue, far greater than the 2.7% based on Reddit's numbers, I think any retail CEO worth his salary has to be seriously considering Bitcoin now.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Money does a circular flow, simplified version:
People buy prodcuts from companies. (money goes from people to company)
Companies pay people their wages. (money goes from company to people)

Unless bitcoin is used in similiar way, its value will always be tightly connected to the normal currencies from which it wants to be independent.
cheapsheep
Lobby Developer

Post by cheapsheep »

varikonniemi wrote:
smoth wrote:Why or never? Who says it won't slowly gain footing via the internet shops?
The exponential adoption rates of technologies. The adoption of Bitcoin has displayed the most steep S curve of any technology, ever.
Which S-curve are you looking at? I have trouble finding useful metrics. Also, are you really talking about Rogers theories here? Maybe you saw that blackboard 101 video on S-curves?
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I'm not looking at any curves in particular, i just know technology adoption tends to follow such a curve, and think that Bitcoin is nowhere near market saturation yet. This means that the rate of adoption will increase, or stop alltogether.
Last edited by varikonniemi on 13 Jan 2014, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Nietzsche begone, bitboin philosophers go forth!

And

The king is dead, Long live the king!
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

This means that the rate of adoption will increase, or stop alltogether.
At first it sounds like X && ~X, but actually it is not!
cheapsheep
Lobby Developer

Post by cheapsheep »

varikonniemi wrote:I'm not looking at any curves in particular, i just know technology adoption tends to follow such a curve, and think that Bitcoin is nowhere near market saturation yet. This means that the rate of adoption will increase, or stop alltogether.
Well if "it is looking like an S-curve", then there is such a curve, and I believe you are using the USD/BTC price as a curve, and that you believe you can use this as adoption rate metric. I disagree... see Rogers' Diffusion of Innovations, where this S-curve thing theory is coming from.

1 person buying a huge amount of BTC will impact this curve. Yet, adoption rate (imo, % of btc owners or % of businesses accepting it, % of transactions done in btc) will be virtually unchanged.

I also believe that bitcoin is nowhere near market saturation... yet I don't think Rogers has any utility here, nor that there is a theory with useful predictive power to help justify anything.
Last edited by cheapsheep on 13 Jan 2014, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I'm curious wether cases of actual purchases using bitcoin (vs commodity or currency being exchanged for bitcoin) is being tracked anywhere... this would indicate "adoption" as compared to "market speculation".

Also curious how much of the 780 Bitcoin worth of purchases made on Overstock the company kept as Bitcoin? it's not like they are going to be able to pay their suppliers in Bitcoin so I imagine the majority of those got exchanged for currency almost immediately.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Bitpay transmitted 100M worth of BTC->USD payments in 2013. Bitcoin black friday this year had two orders of magnitude higher revenue.
On November 29, more than 6% of all transactions on the bitcoin network were spent on goods and services through BitPay’s platform.
Overstock keeps nothing as BTC, they use bitpay.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

So ebay is soon allowing the sales of virtual currencies and equipment. This is a huge step forward and i think only an intermediate one to start accepting Bitcoin as payment method in the not so distant future.

http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-uk-virtual ... -february/
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its like i didnt post it.

There are allready big companies in. Mining faster. Mining more. Mining everyone else out of buisness. Sell your ASICs while you have the chance to break even.

Every revolution can be bought, even one that prints its own money.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Yes it is, you provided no comment of your own.

I agree the ASIC business is very corrupt. The best upgrade to Bitcoin would be to introduce mixed mining, every other block is solved by SHA and every other by scrypt. This would protect the network from manipulation by requiring an attacker to mass both ASIC and GPU power.
dimm

Post by dimm »

smoth

Post by smoth »

if they ever get some physical doge coins, I will buy many, much gold, to the mooon
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

The Dogecoin community just raised enough money for the Jamaican bobsled team to go to the olympics! Such altruism. wow.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Cryptostamp is an interesting service that uses the blockchain to store the merkel root of submitted hashes. It can be used to prove that a file existed at some point in time, and that it has not been changed since. Once the file has been recorded in the blockchain you can even download a proof file that can be used instead of their service so you don't even have to trust them sticking around.

I think this sounds like some of the services a public notary provides?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”