Bitcoin mining made easy - Page 34

Bitcoin mining made easy

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cheesecan

Re: Bitcoin mining made easy

Post by Cheesecan »

varikonniemi wrote:Too bad my trading balance is sitting in 'GOX.
Sorry to hear that. Have you received any information about when you will get it back?
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I am not hodling [sic] my breath. I consider them lost coins, even thought there probably will be coming some % back. I don't think there will be any major developments/new info coming out in the case before the investigation is over.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

maaaan vari!
such "implementation deatail" could only possibly be fixed, if it is discussed about, and thus it has to be discussed about, and saying it makes no sense to discuss about it, makes no sense.

you strike me as a kind of ultra fanatic, trying to illegalize anything besides blind and total compliance to what someone else proclaims. that is dangerous.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I dont think so, actually a little future enthusiasm is quite healthy as long there are checks and balances. What is actually dangerous is stagnant or outright backward societys.
We have quite a lot of them on the surface of this planet.

Lets step back from coined catchphrases and shiny names. Stateless-Electronic-Currencys are technological feasible. Point. Proofen Point.
But they need a economy behind them to drive there expansion.
The real world economy is controlled by states, who gain nothing and loose quite a lot by allowing streams of currency to evade there controll. So no, no SEC will ever grow by clinging to existing currencys.

Now we are in that part of history, were a dozen imitators show up to find a niche to cling too- hoping that there niche is the one that perpetums them to a defacto online currency - the problem is - those niches have to be seperated from state-controllable economys.

So remaining are the mafia, tax-evading big cooperations (who allready basically escaped tax responsibilitys at large) and the open-source ecosystems. There might be others i have overlooked.
So the contestens enter the arena - aaaand fight!
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

hoijui do you realize that how to split the coins is not even a technical question, only one of preference. And we don't even know yet if this kind of network is even technically possible to implement. You may go around calling people ultra fanatic, but i choose to focus on relevant things before diving into trivia.

Of course it should be discussed, but perhaps not yet and especially not in this thread. Sorry i voiced my view.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000281677

It seems very soon ebay/paypal is going to integrate Bitcoin. The CEO is even hodling!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

you seem not to understand the problem, probably you do not deal with other people, ever.
i call you fanatic, because you say we should not discuss any shortcommings of the system, because they are just details. i never said the system is compleetly useless because of this or other any other shortcomming. you like it to have a perfect image. i think we should see it like this (and i made this clear last year already):
bitcoin is just one version of one way of a possible replacement for a bad system, the "traditional" money system.
whether it is better or not, is not a very simple thing to decide. i personally think, it is better, but it might even be worse, and still have its place. important is, to think of it as just one version of one method to replace the old, bad system.
we have to remember two things of importance:
1. we have to make clear how the current system stands in comparison to the traditional system, to know whether we should use it or not.
2. we have to discuss and find solutions for all the current systems shortcommings. this is how we get to better and better systems. optimally, we also code some unit tests, to prevent regressions. that should be relatively easy, for a money system system.
i think it would be fatal to prevent the second thing (talk about shortcommings) in sake of protection of the first thing (the image of the current system).

in short:

Code: Select all

[WORST] -- traditional_system ---------- bitcoin ------------------- optimal_system ---- [PERFECT]
(of course, this stuff can not realistically be visualized through a 1D scale)
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Of course it should be discussed, but perhaps not yet and especially not in this thread. Sorry i voiced my view.
i call you fanatic, because you say we should not discuss any shortcommings of the system, because they are just details.
Please troll go away.
Last edited by varikonniemi on 06 Jun 2014, 17:54, edited 2 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Vario, just because you don't like his post doesn't make him a troll
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

He claims contrary to something i specifically made clear to him in my previous post. He cannot claim he did not understand it, so he must be trolling.

He is also rude and projects his insecurities as personal insults. This is consistent with what trolls do.
Last edited by varikonniemi on 06 Jun 2014, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Nope.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000283145&play=1
Bitcoin removes the middle man from financial services. Similarly to how Henry Ford changed manufacturing.
The volatility is way down as more people are accepting it.
It took quite some time for the pundits to move from ridicule to admiration. I wonder when certain people on this forum are ready to admit how wrong (and rude) they were.

Sometimes it pays off to listen, even if you would be accustomed to being the loudest man in the room.
knorke

Post by knorke »

varikonniemi, your stance also changed. Now you talk about mainstream acceptance and value as currency but a year ago it was mostly about mining rates and what new peaks will be reached. ;)
Even if bitcoin was going to become widely used, it would be for the wrong reasons.
That random people who years ago acquired some bitcoins might be billionairs seems a bit against the idea of a currency too. And that has nothing to do with early adapters believing in new technology, (others maybe just lost the wrong HDD) , basically it is luck.
It would also remain to be seen what happens to the other ideals if mainstream usage was reached, for example how well the independence from big players (states, companies, stock market, exchange sites,...) will hold up.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

The world has changed quite significantly during these years. I stopped talking about mining at the point when it morphed into a corrupt insider business. This was about the same time i lost my passion for Bitcoin and realized that we need something that fixes its shortcomings. None of the altcoins convinced me, but once i found something i thought was the solution i have really not put much thought into Bitcoin anymore.

Bitcoin has now become an established technology that has paved the way for a new industry, so my work there is about done. Nowadays i focus on safecoin (maidsafe), a crypto that promises to fix the few downsides of Bitcoin.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I stopped talking about mining at the point when it morphed into a corrupt insider business. This was about the same time i lost my passion for Bitcoin and realized that we need something that fixes its shortcomings.
The kind of critic that others said from beginning ;)
Not so familiar with maidsafe but isn't it basically p2p filehosting?
The filehosting idea is maybe okay, but why that should be used to "power" currency and be better than bitcoins I can not see.
Also the more crypto currencies are created the more similiar it gets to chaotic situation with tradional money :shock:
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

As long as there is nothing better, then even an almost perfect system is worth pursuing. Now 5 years later comes maidsafe, promising to make the almost perfect perfect (also fixing the internet while they are at it). Maidsafe was partly made possible by Bitcoin.

Notice how maidsafe and bitcoin have identical economic models. So the idea has not changed, just the technology now is upgraded to maidsafe era of internet.

Maidsafe is basically a p2p distributed intelligence network, with safecoin being one application that is run by it. p2p cloud/fog storage for webpages/files/etc being another. Also instant messaging (text, audio & video) is covered of course. Distributed selling/buying of encrypted computing power is still under development.

Skynet.

(Bitcoin is distributed banking. Maidsafe is distributed cash. Mining in maidsafe is hosting of the distributed intelligence&data. No more "useless hashing". Millions if not billions of transactions per second, and as there is no ledger there is no growing storage requirement. I forget some benefits but thats already plenty)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i assume you mean optimal system, not perfect system.
it is far from even an optimal one, though.

one thing that makes it sub-optimal, is that the way of (initial-)money distribution is still biased towards early adopters and tech-rich people. to be optimal in this aspect, it would have to ensure equal distribution among mankind.

having a different opinion then you, and mentioning it, is not rude. though, i may have been rude anyway at some point. if so, sorry for that, but that is what i get like when i smell blind fanatism, because it gets people killed (and into other problems), which i think is a good enough point to loose temper.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I welcome differing opinions and constructive discussion. You flipped out when i suggested it is too early to discuss in a bitcoin thread about trivial maidsafe implementation details. Thats not fanaticism from me, but from you. I was just trying to stay even remotely on topic. I am glad to compare Bitcoin to maidsafe and discuss from all perspectives.

I can admit every "problem" Bitcoin has and am glad to discuss them and alternative implementation methods.

Instead the same erroneus talking points are regurgitated over and over. Remember the "just like tulips" lunacy? I almost lost my shit back then because i could just not see how people could make such a leap of logic. Or factually erroneus claims like "ponzi scheme". Jesus fuck.
smoth

Post by smoth »

When you call dissenting opinions trolling. When you put bitcoin as one of the greatest tech advances.. That comes off as fanatic
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

No i dont. I called you a troll when you insisted on something that was contrary to reality. Same with hoijui. I dont think i have accused anyone else of trolling.

How many world changing technologies have come into existence lately? I cannot come up with 5 major breakthroughs, can you if you insist Bitcoin is not on that list?

Would a Bitcoin fanatic already much earlier have voiced concern with the sha minig business, endorsing scrypt as a possible fix? (lately we have found out it was no real fix)

The oculus rift DK2 is another such breakthrough i believe. True visual presence in a virtual reality is finally here.
Last edited by varikonniemi on 12 Jun 2014, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”