Bitcoin mining made easy - Page 33

Bitcoin mining made easy

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cheesecan

Re: Bitcoin mining made easy

Post by Cheesecan »

The next significant decline in btc-usd exchange rate caused by an event of similar magnitude as mtgox, should trigger a fall toward the bottom (0$).
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

TSA agents demand bag-search to look for "Bitcoins" (http://boingboing.net/2014/03/01/tsa-ag ... ary-s.html)
BoingBoing wrote:Davi Barker was flying from Manchester, NH when, he says, he was stopped by two men who identified themselves as "managers" for the TSA, who claimed they had seen Bitcoins in his baggage [1] and wanted to be sure he wasn't transporting more than $10,000 worth. When he asked them what they thought a Bitcoin looked like, they allegedly said that it looked like a coin or a medallion. (via Hacker News [2])
[1] http://dailyanarchist.com/2014/02/24/th ... r-bitcoin/
[2] https://news.ycombinator.com/
smoth

Post by smoth »

Lol
cheapsheep
Lobby Developer

Post by cheapsheep »

smoth wrote:
cheapsheep wrote:thread is surprisingly quiet, during these troubled times!
bitcoin is not dead :)
because you rage at me for posting negative stuff. I don't want to start crap in this thread so I am not posting as often as I was before.
Sorry, I'm so evil.
Like I said before, imo, there are 2 clearly different aspects about bitcoin... the technical aspect, and the market/valuation aspect.

The future valuation of a bitcoin is open to wild guesses... feel free to make predictions like Cheesecan :)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Since some time doge has become the new lolcat, or something like that. In case you missed it:
So as a joke there exists dogecoin which basically combines the cryptocurrency concept with lolcat spelling.
By donating money the community had already send the Jamaican bobsled team to winter olympics but not so interessting.

Now the doge community with help of reddit, foxsports and some others donated $55,000 to make a racecar look something like this:
(such doge much fast very racecar)
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/3/2 ... ega-reddit

Appearently many people just donated in normal dollars too and to me it feels more like a charity than real use of cryptocurrency concept but still amusing.
Such "silly" sponsorship is not so unusual in nascar, especially for rookie drivers. (Even the cars of bigger teams never look the same from one race to the next.)

Race is the Aarons 499 at Talladega Superspeedway on 4th May.
Superspeedways usually are only so-so to watch, although last Daytona 500 was surprisingly good. Maybe worth a watch even if one usually does not watch motorsport or oval racing just to see what the doge does. Streams can usually be found on interweb.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

So this 33 page thread is where the output of this community has been, this explains a lot.

It may be 31 pages late, but I'd like to point out that Skynet held human slaves and experimented on people. I doubt any utopian society would arise once the rebel faction was eradicated, no matter how many bitcoins they had.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Is it dead, can we eat it?

Some parts can still wiggle, thats okay.. even a little screaming makes for nice table conversations..

May i hijack this thread?

I noticed that the open source world is largely depending on donations.
Now, i donate, but when i look at my donating behaviour, i notice its not very reasonable, sustainable or does sometimes even make sense.

I donate to flashy, new projects, not knowing if the guys who made it have a history, while not donating to some of the most basic services i use every day.

So the idea was this.. a donation transfer service, that distributes a part of a donation to infrastructure projects (by noticing which projects i use daily), and via the registered tools of those projects getting donated too, shares a part of the donation to those engineering the roads on which the bandwagons drive.

We shall call it DHONOR -Son of Coin

thx for reading me out. ConArtist-fetti everywhere.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

PicassoCT wrote:Is it dead, can we eat it?

Some parts can still wiggle, thats okay.. even a little screaming makes for nice table conversations..

May i hijack this thread?

I noticed that the open source world is largely depending on donations.
Now, i donate, but when i look at my donating behaviour, i notice its not very reasonable, sustainable or does sometimes even make sense.

I donate to flashy, new projects, not knowing if the guys who made it have a history, while not donating to some of the most basic services i use every day.

So the idea was this.. a donation transfer service, that distributes a part of a donation to infrastructure projects (by noticing which projects i use daily), and via the registered tools of those projects getting donated too, shares a part of the donation to those engineering the roads on which the bandwagons drive.

thx for reading me out. ConArtist-fetti everywhere.
We shall call it taxes.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

volunteerily taxes? Shouldnt we not exchange the vocals and call it texas then?

Seriously.. i think i have a point there.. and it hurts if someone has a point.. you may assert it all you want, but point is not dangling.. cant put a new type of hub on kickstarter if the deving would take 5 years..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I've read the claim that the name of the doge meme comes from the Homestar Runner episode where Homestar calls Pom Pom his "doge".
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Serious post for once.

There is actually a good on the internets that is valuable to open source communitys- its called manhours, meaning a human beeing, knowing what it does, working away on it.

Now the problem is, that everyone is specialized at there trade, so the economic exchange is quite local.
And the problems communitys often have aint.

Now if a community could buy with manhour-coins the time of another community specialized in something else which it desperatly needs, and in exchange the community could trade with again another.
This would be quite a medieval exchange system.

But would actually work. Cause working is the thing it exists for.

PS: Damn, idea double post. Thats the worst, you forgot you allready posted it, ramble on, read the thread backwards, and read your own crap :(
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

PicassoCT wrote: So the idea was this.. a donation transfer service, that distributes a part of a donation to infrastructure projects (by noticing which projects i use daily), and via the registered tools of those projects getting donated too, shares a part of the donation to those engineering the roads on which the bandwagons drive.

very good idea!

i see just one possible problem:
if it would work, and the base projects get reasonable amounts of money, fights over the money will arise.
maybe this could be circumvented, by donating directly to coders (also somehow based on how much you use their work of course).
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Today quickcoin was released, making it possible to send bitcoins to facebook accounts. This news along with paypal looking seriously at integrating Bitcoin has had me quite excited.

On another topic: maidsafe/safecoin will contain almost the exact mechanism for paying the application developers as hoijui described. 15% of the mined coins are distributed according to how many people use the applications.

ps. Smoth: Bitcoin is finally going mainstream: Image ;)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

as i understand it, maidsafe/safecoin do what Picasso suggested (one donation account per application), which has exactly the problem i described.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

But why is it a problem? The network allows no human influence, the safecoin is paid out directly to the account listed in the application. So there is no method to corrupt it.
Last edited by varikonniemi on 29 May 2014, 14:42, edited 2 times in total.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Problem abma outlined is with intra-project quarrels in case there's one wallet per project.
Nobody has to corrupt it, but people might fight about who gets which share.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

For that there exists x out of y escrow functionality just like in Bitcoin. Or they could allow many donation addresses (and even a ratio how to divide the money among them).

Maidsafe is only being developed as we speak, so don't you think such minor implementation details are a bit premature to ponder over?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Premature speculation? I thought this entire thread was about discussing such stuff. 0_o
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

To the Moon!!!!! ┗(°0°)┛
Bitcoinaverage price at 605!

The era of stability really did end last monday, and the trajectory has been quite positive. Too bad my trading balance is sitting in 'GOX.

This is a Bitcoin thread, not maidsafe. And what i meant was that it is such a tiny implementation detail. Like talking about the color of the menu background while discussing how to implement a new GUI for spring. Currently the question is: is such a thing as maidsafe even technically possible, or is it just a scam/overly optimistic dev team promising too much.
smoth

Post by smoth »

varikonniemi wrote:ps. Smoth: Bitcoin is finally going mainstream
I have not seen a single place here that takes it.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”