Finaly, I have the true Internet !!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Petah

Re: Finaly, I have the true Internet !!

Post by Petah »

Your internet > my LAN
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

It really is another world when you move from cable/adsl to ethernet. Pages open instantaneously rather than after a moment.
moutandihami

Post by moutandihami »

varikonniemi wrote:move from cable/adsl to ethernet
wat
You mean fiber optics? AFAIK ethernet can't even carry a signal over about 30meters without messing up. I've also never heard of "ethernet internet."
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Yeah, it comes as fiber to the house, and from the houses common hub it goes as ethernet to customers.

Usually you talk about the way you connect to your ISP, so in this case it is ethernet, not cable or phone line.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

True internet is for the 1%
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

moutandihami wrote:
varikonniemi wrote:move from cable/adsl to ethernet
wat
You mean fiber optics? AFAIK ethernet can't even carry a signal over about 30meters without messing up. I've also never heard of "ethernet internet."
Actually, because ethernet is digital and not analog, it can reliably carry a signal for about 127 meters before you need a repeater.

Digital signal wave forms are like this: _|-|_-

Whereas analog is like this: ~~~~~

So degradation doesn't really matter in digital signals until it gets to the point where the state can no longer be read (the device can't tell whether it's a 1 or a 0).

Analog will degrade linearly (the curve isn't really "linear", but whatever, it's semantics at that point unless you're an engineer) over distance. Kinda like the old tv with bunny ears. You could still see a picture, even if it looked like shit, but with digital, you either have a picture or you don't. There is no inbetween.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Forboding Angel wrote:with digital, you either have a picture or you don't. There is no inbetween.
Thanks to fault tolerance you can have a more or less wrong picture. :mrgreen:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Broad overview :mrgreen:
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

Hmm... saw that 1Gbit/100Mbit internet was available for my flat, but I don't understand why you would pay 33€/month for that when you get 100/100Mbit for 10€/month...
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Zydox wrote:Hmm... saw that 1Gbit/100Mbit internet was available for my flat, but I don't understand why you would pay 33€/month for that when you get 100/100Mbit for 10€/month...
this guy must be living in paradise!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

On top of the 33 a month for gigabit internet, for 10 more they'll throw in 72 (nearly) virgin women.
moutandihami

Post by moutandihami »

Forboding Angel wrote: So degradation doesn't really matter in digital signals until it gets to the point where the state can no longer be read (the device can't tell whether it's a 1 or a 0).

Analog will degrade linearly (the curve isn't really "linear", but whatever, it's semantics at that point unless you're an engineer) over distance. Kinda like the old tv with bunny ears. You could still see a picture, even if it looked like shit, but with digital, you either have a picture or you don't. There is no inbetween.
So basically, I got the distance wrong :P
I know analog vs digital, but thanks anyway I guess.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/techn ... .html?_r=0

Well, some are getting gigabit internet already, and more recently Google fiber for some Kansas residents, but for most cases it be laughing matter if someone claimed that he or she have gigabit internet at a low price.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I wonder how many people get gigabit internet to 10/100 internal networks?
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Zydox wrote:Hmm... saw that 1Gbit/100Mbit internet was available for my flat, but I don't understand why you would pay 33€/month for that when you get 100/100Mbit for 10€/month...
where can you get 1Gbit for 33€ ? I rapidly checked the internet and the only offer I found is http://www.telia.se/privat/katalog/Visa ... 00.product and it's about 120€/month
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Forboding Angel wrote:I wonder how many people get gigabit internet to 10/100 internal networks?
I would guess the average user would probably get under 54 megabits because that's the max speed of most wifi.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I had 100 Mbit/s up and down already in '98. It was of little use because the bottleneck was somewhere else. Now I have 10/10 and it's okay I'd say. It's included in the rent anyway.
Petah

Post by Petah »

I have 13/1 but could upgrade to 100/30 for an extra $10 NZD. But I would also have to get the fiber run from the road into my house, and I don't know how much that would cost.

Also I'm a lazy fat ass, so meh.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

100/100. Some years back the provider had plans to upgrade to 1000/1000 but I guess that has been postponed.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”