GRUB is so idiotic - Page 2

GRUB is so idiotic

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Re: GRUB is so idiotic

Post by dansan »

Jools wrote:So I would want grub to be on the part 1 of this usb disk, but it must have installed something on the boot partition of my ssd drive, therefore overriding the bcd. I believe so, because after the fsck, when the usb-disk was plugged in, my computer would always boot to that drive, irrespective of the fact that my ssd drive was selected as the boot drive in the bios. Therefore I drew the conclusion that one form of grub was put on this ssd drive.
I'm pretty sure your conclusion is wrong. If grub were installed on your ssd, you'd also get a grub-menu when the usb-hdd is disconnected.

* Are you sure, that in your bios settings (boot order) usb-drives do not come before sata drives?
* When the usb-disk is connected, and you use F11 (or similar) while booting to make a manual boot selection, and you choose the internal SATA disk - what happens?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

dansan wrote: I'm pretty sure your conclusion is wrong. If grub were installed on your ssd, you'd also get a grub-menu when the usb-hdd is disconnected.
Yes, there may be some meny that flashes by, not sure if it's set on execute default after 0 seconds.
dansan wrote: * Are you sure, that in your bios settings (boot order) usb-drives do not come before sata drives?
Absolutely sure. I also selected 'no' to 'boot from otrher devices'
dansan wrote: * When the usb-disk is connected, and you use F11 (or similar) while booting to make a manual boot selection, and you choose the internal SATA disk - what happens?
I actually didn't try yet. I will. It may also be that F11 bypasses the execution of the system boot partition/drive. You know that windows 7 puts a 100 mb big partition before the one that it installs C on. I did some trick to prevent that, but I'm still not sure the boot partition is the same as sys: one.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Wow, some overzealous butthurt mod sent him a warning for the OP. The mods around here really need to re-read the rules again, ffs.
2. Constructive criticism and good feedback are always encouraged, but repeated unconstructive comments about a user or project, especially constant unwarranted negative responses without any real merit, will be considered intentional harassment and not be tolerated.
By definition, the first post isn't a repetition.

User or Project is referring to Spring Projects, not outside projects like GRUB, so you can take that garbage logic and put it where it belongs.

Intentional harassment? Of what, or whom, pray tell? He hasn't been trashing anyone here, he has been trashing GRUB (which sucks).

This is a complete mis-application of the felony 2 rule. Don't make me pull Swift back from the ether to lay down #datlaw.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I was trying to look at the first post again and I can agree that the part about shooting in the knee was a bad formulation. I would like to edit it but I can't anymore.

On my defense: it's a rant. It's not credible if I just use gullible words.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Jools wrote:A lot of trouble, all because of grub making a decision without asking me. This is not software — this is a trojan. Grub should be blacklisted by all antivirus programs. I can't imagine how stupid the guy who coded grub must have been. But he should be shot in the knee with a bullet
put in a comfy chair and poked with soft cushions (with the stuffing all in one end)
User has been warned for this post. Felony 2.
Hope I don't get warned again, because it's much worse to be put in the comfy chair than being shot in the knee.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”