StarDrive Beta on Steam later today!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

scifi

Re: StarDrive Beta on Steam later today!

Post by scifi »

pls lets hope this is the 4x weve been waiting for, ive been disapointed so many times....

ive hearded good things about it but lets see it ingame first.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I've watched 10h of footage.. It seems to be pretty cool in terms of 4X and customizability. I hope it's not a mixed bag like all the other silly 4X I wasted money on.

Release is supposed to happen today in Pacific Time which has 9h left. Fucking steam ;-)
scifi

Post by scifi »

dam pacific time pfff, Today for me is tomorow.

I wasted expectations on sword of the stars II even after the game released, i still kept tryng and tryng....

Then legend of pegasus, then some other 3 to 5 steam 4x games...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

sounds good, but sounding good is not enough anymore. would appreciate it, if you could give a review on how close to MoO2 awesomeness it gets :)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

It's not moo... check out predestination if you want moo

0.98b footage
smoth

Post by smoth »

is this like starcon or masters of orion? because MOO was boring to me and most 4x feel like MOO
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

It's an rts with cool unit design, a fixed tech tree an yes you can grab any ship you like and have yourself a little bit of star control... With better controls ironically. Planetary management is kinda like ascendancy.

In contradiction to games like sins, this game is a true 4X. There are some rough edges but it's fun to play overall. If you want a run down of the game, there are people on jewtube that have uploaded several hours of footage.
scifi

Post by scifi »

so do you give it a thumbs up?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Purchased it, not very interesting ...

Main minuses:
* awkward interface - some things require tons of clicking like managing ground troops
* idiotic "managers" which can easilly let your planet starve or keep building structure which you only need 1x in the galaxy
* fail pathfinding for ships (there are "roads" in space but with attack command ships ignore them and go in straight line and you cannot queue command so you have to move, manually wait, attack)
* random bugs (ships shooting in opposite direction than enemies, ships not going)

And of course the main issue (common to most 4x)
* retarded AI
AI is just no challenge and does silly things
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Licho wrote:Purchased it, not very interesting ...

Main minuses:
* awkward interface - some things require tons of clicking like managing ground troops
* idiotic "managers" which can easilly let your planet starve or keep building structure which you only need 1x in the galaxy
* fail pathfinding for ships (there are "roads" in space but with attack command ships ignore them and go in straight line and you cannot queue command so you have to move, manually wait, attack)
* random bugs (ships shooting in opposite direction than enemies, ships not going)

And of course the main issue (common to most 4x)
* retarded AI
AI is just no challenge and does silly things
better or worse than endless space ? (considering stardrive is still beta)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I would say about same as endless space. Each game had its own flaws.

Both games have poor enemy AI (though it IS challenging until you learn the game!)

Endless space had superior GUI and more interesting strategic "base construction".
It failed because of boring space combats and unskippable animations there.

StarDrive has interesting ship design and ship to ship combat options and presentation, but economic options are rather flat yet still very micro-heavy.

Stardrive could be very fun if it gets a multiplayer.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Just bought it, and voila a patch came through that fixed some graphics being missing ;). Well first impression, i enjoy the style of the game, the map overlay, the ships, the freighters moving colonists and goods from one place to another etc.

The ui is a bit cranky, but nothing i can't handle tbh. The battle system is awesome -> great multiplayer experience i would bet. I still find the number of buildings are still too few, the tech tree is also lacking, but i mean the basis of it is there, and it's a good game overall. Having fun with it ;)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The early game is quite fun...

On the other hand I cannot quite keep up with whats going on or manage all planets so they do not starve like you said (I play gluttonous cybernetic races anyway)... as soon as you climb up the tech tree to the bigger hulls the game becomes rather boring. Certain high tech weapons do not work properly, i.e. if you have a fast cruiser (>600 sublight) it wont hit shit with for example polaron torpedoes and a few other weapons so you will end up with the same designs in every game.

Ship combat... I do with icons because certain models apparently have a higher polycount than expected so a bunch of like 20 fighters bring my FPS down a lot..

Races do play slightly different due to the different ship hull layouts... for example you can fit an EMP torpedo launcher (>5k damage and stun) on the human heavy fighter which is pretty sick if you have a ship with 20 hangars. On the Vulfar carrier type you can put these 20 hangars on... ;)

Overall each game plays out the same. Race for anomalies, struggle for money while you steal the shit out of all other races, kill remnant ships until you get the "secrets" tree for the best cost efficient shield and second best power reactor in the game.

There are quite a few things that are hard coded and not external which I personally dislike... like, the AI cannot design ships it picks from a list of blueprints which become available as requirements are met. Which means, that the AI will always have slow ships, without warp drives, full of armor and low on shields. My own cruisers have no additional armor, >40k-60k shields, enough weapons to blast anything out of the sky while they are still faster due to the lack of armor which weighs a lot. Yeah.. I expected something else but this game is alright, I hope things will change. I dont expect it on launch which is in a month though...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

http://stardrivegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1450

The dev seems to be fixing a few of these issues daily
scifi

Post by scifi »

http://stardrivegame.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9912cee6c1

seams theres a poll for new features, and the dev is planning to be doing constant updates for the game.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Seems like DW is still on top. I think it is getting an expansion soon too. Oh and SF (SS)'s campaign mode to become 4x game!!! :-) :-) :-)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

another game with shit AI? yawn.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

I could say a lot of things about StarDrive and how it plays, but instead I'm going to baw about the fact that I have to abandon the only playthrough I got anywhere on because I keep crashing on save with out of memory errors. This game is unbelievably RAM hungry.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”