FBI Filename oddness (and something else)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Anyone else notice that the fbi filename of certain units is very irregular? For instance, the arm amphibious tank, Trident, is "armcroc". The core "Croc" amphibious tank is "corseal".

What I'm suggesting is that obviously late in the game's development they decided to shift names around, and likely models as well. Therefore, I'm going to draw the conclusion that although the glamour file released as "armflash" is in fact the core Instigator!

The flash and instigator have the same role (tho in OTA, gators are rather weak and silly). Is it such an outrageous proposition that the promotional art labelled "Arm Flash" may, in reality, be the model art for what we now know as the Instigator? I mean, consider these facts:

- the promotional art shows a unit with a round turret and a single barrel, which is quite thin in relation to its lenght

- although the treads on the promotional pic look somewhat similar to the flash, it could just be a design decision that was repealed at the last moment

- the arm Flash according to the OTA model is a very unconventional tank. Two barrels (not one), a wide, short and squarish turret (not small and round)

- if the flash tank was really "intended" to look like an instigator clone, why didn't cavedog patch it? They had ample opportunity.

- Generally, the sort of concept art we see in these pics is done early in the game's development, so it can be assumed that this was the initial design for the flash but decided in favour of the one we all know and love (or loathe, if you're a core player!)

- PR guys who request these shots generally aren't terribly familiar with the inner workings of the game. Hell, a lot of them don't even appear to have PLAYED the game they're doing PR for. Are we going to trust some flunkie's possible typo over what Cavedog released in their finished, polished, patched product?

I submit that the "flash" model that's been made based on the promotional material be either:

a) retextured and made to replace the core Instigator model
b) just removed! It's saccrilege!

I'm taking this too seriously, I know, but it's late.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I wanna see the pic first.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

http://www.planetannihilation.com/galle ... _Flash.jpg

The treads are the only thing even remotely resembling an OTA Flash tank.
smoth

Post by smoth »

that very same image on FU is called the Core Leveler... wth weird... I say model it anyway. Aesthetic improvements are always good.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

The Evolva flash already looks like that one
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

That flash looks n00b.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

It looks more like the Stumpy really, look at the turret, if only the barrel was more to the side it would have looked quite a bit like the Stumpy.

Caydr, I wondered the same, ever wondered why the Core Pillager was simply named Mobile Artillery in game?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Mmm... no, not really. Just took it as the same way that metal extractors aren't called "prickly pete" or something :lol:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”