don't upgrade to itunes11

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

in before (itunes was always garbage) It ran great and worked well, don't expect me to care about your computer problems.

Anyway, the new ui is jumbled and terribly confused. It tries too hard to force you to look at album view and generally is poorly organized. Supposedly it is faster, I dunno, itunes runs pretty damn fast and stable for me, never had any issue. So the upgrade is mostly some unperceivable speed increase and a the ruining of the interface.

In before someone asks me to give a detailed summary, not happening.

so you have been warned, if you upgrade and itunes turns into jumbled crap, someone told you.

AF
AI Developer

Re: don't upgrade to itunes11

Post by AF »

For me the speed increase was pretty dramatic, pages that would take 10-20 seconds to load, are now near instantaneous. Long pauses loading artwork are non gone.

It also fixed the itunes remote bonjour wifi syncing nonsense that I had trouble with in itunes 10

Not to mention that it finally added a next up playlist

UI wise it's somewhat simpler, you pick a type of media on the left, you have the ways of viewing it in the middle, and you got the itunes store button on the right. These are intentional changes to increase focus and avoid UI gotchas such as dropping music in the wrong playlist.

But if that doesn't suit you, there's a menu option you can flick which gives you back the sidebar and the menubar

Video playing is still stupid as it always has been, and there are some inconsistencies where the old UI hasn't been updated to match the new aesthetic, but overrall it's an improvement.
Attachments
itunes11sidebar.PNG
(106.51 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
knorke

Post by knorke »

wrong mp3 tags like in 1999! Image
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

i own nothing with an i
feels indifferent man
smoth

Post by smoth »

10 second delay? How is that even possible af

Knorke those are the right tags
knorke

Post by knorke »

this thread is now about finding spelling mistakes in screenshots.
i count 3!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:10 second delay? How is that even possible af

Knorke those are the right tags

Hard Drives spinning up from sleep, though if they were still running it could take 1-5 seconds depending on the number of items, it was a mixed bag where performance was concerned, redraw times could have been faster, and they now are.

In building 11 they rewrote large sections of the internals to use the newer UI toolkits and rendering tech, and it feels much nicer
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

protip: dont buy apple products unless you can eat them
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Bonus: you also get the latest quicktime update with it. It can almost play .mov files now!
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:Hard Drives spinning up from sleep, though if they were still running it could take 1-5 seconds depending on the number of items, it was a mixed bag where performance was concerned, redraw times could have been faster, and they now are.
Odd I never really had that issue.

AF wrote:In building 11 they rewrote large sections of the internals to use the newer UI toolkits and rendering tech, and it feels much nicer
Can't say I agree, the flow of search music to listen to get artist, select song play, set random etc are all dicked up. I feel they failed to keep a simple operation simple.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Sorry! Music on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Does it have that funny selffolding maps? Yo all know that when you get homespun, it can be hard to wear, little itchy here and there, but that discomfort vannishes if you look at the comfort of cstdlib-erty now go out and be good citizens yo all. Buy an apple.

Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I'm not upgrading, that UI looks like a mess compared to the old.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Have you tried pulling up the column browser in songs view? You get a winamp style thing, so you've a list of artists, genres, and albums to filter down songs in the main view, and you can remove genres, or not click on any album ( or plain remove it ) and hey presto. Repeat/shuffle etc are all in the top as they've always been

Attachments
11ish.PNG
(131.24 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

its allmoist like wimpamp. Go Apple, you can beat the mp3 player from 1999..GO APPLE..
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I actually had to install itunes cause I got an iphone, and while it's pretty and nice and stuff, I can't use it for listening to music because, well, i have a couple hundred gigs of music that is badly tagged :D. I need foobar and its library based navigation to wade through my collection.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

intelligent people using apple products? HILARIOUS

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”