X-COM - Page 4

X-COM

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

klapmongool

Re: X-COM

Post by klapmongool »

BaNa wrote:Well I finished it off on classic

Tried impossible with ironman

Died so fast it was silly

Now Im looking into the modding going on

Its very very promising, Im def. checking out the second wave stuff (things like flanking guaranteeing a crit or more random starting soldier stats are pretty cool)

I want more ufos.

edit:
yeah heat is a must have for heavies, they can 1shot cyberdisks with the heavy plasma if they have it

my way way fave lategame build was chitin plated assault troops with alloy guns just running the fuck in and doubleshotting everything
Would be nice if they could mod it so the complexity of the older versions is back. For inspiration also take a look at UFO: Afterlight.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Take a look at second waves marathon option. Im really liking the 100 percent crit on flank, it really really forces you to move strategically and cover your flanks.

Im trying out this mod right now, it seems really sweet so far.

Another thing Im doing right now that is making the game really enjoyable: self-imposed ironman : only save at beginning of map is allowed, and 1 or 2 casualties are no cause for reload.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

That exe mod? 100% crit on flanking attacks, read about that... that means if I rush the aliens I'll always get a crit eh

I'm at the last mission now and just begun screening all these people in the psi lab... I dont really feel it is necessary at all for winning and it just drags the game on. Man this is such a chore... this game is kinda like TBS mass effect. Pretty and boring.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Psi screening was annoying in original too :D

Modders are working on being able to scan more ppl but right now the UI bugs out above 4. Theoretically it could be as high as 50 ppl at once.

I dunno, I really like the game, imo it is a very good remake of original, with certain things streamlined (do you remember that you had to produce and take ammo with you for most things? that was sooo annoying)

And yeah, that option really helps the assault class but dont forget, it helps aliens too and they bloody love to flank.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

BaNa wrote:Psi screening was annoying in original too :D

Modders are working on being able to scan more ppl but right now the UI bugs out above 4. Theoretically it could be as high as 50 ppl at once.

I dunno, I really like the game, imo it is a very good remake of original, with certain things streamlined (do you remember that you had to produce and take ammo with you for most things? that was sooo annoying)

And yeah, that option really helps the assault class but dont forget, it helps aliens too and they bloody love to flank.
Having a limited amount of ammo was awesome in the original. It really forced you to make tough choices, in preparation and during the battles. The situations in which ammo became really tight also were some of the best moments. I'll say it once again; the new xcom got dumbed down for the lazy, console, generation.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I still disagree. Limited space inventory management was not sacked from games because people are dumb to use it, it was sacked because it was bad design.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

BaNa wrote:I still disagree. Limited space inventory management was not sacked from games because people are dumb to use it, it was sacked because it was bad design.
So it is bad design for the player having to make equipment choices before the mission commences?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

klapmongool wrote:
BaNa wrote:I still disagree. Limited space inventory management was not sacked from games because people are dumb to use it, it was sacked because it was bad design.
So it is bad design for the player having to make equipment choices before the mission commences?
Player has to make equip. choices in this game too. Bad design is putting the decision (should I take X or Y) and making it into a fucking tetris-like minigame with different clips having different sizes.

edit: this may not have been clear in my orig post: I meant to say that the oldschool fit things into this box inventory was bad design, not limited inventory. The new elder scrolls games did away with this kind of thing too (but not limited inv), and I honestly cannot recall a new game that has that mechanic.

Same kinds of decisions happen here, minus the bullshit. I do prefer having 2 inv slots per dude as default, mod I tried does just that.

On a similar note: running out of ammo and having to reload in a bad time can be a game-changing thing here as well, but its not the annoying micromanagement of having to manufacture and equip all the clips, or that feeling of "oh ok my dude is out of ammo, GUESS HES USELESS NOW"
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Have to agree... the whole soldier developement and equipment thing in the new game just feels tacked on, similar to the lack of control over interceptors on the world "map" or combat screen. At least you don't have to press X repeatedly to win SPACE SHIP DUELLLLLLLS.

I'm really bored with this game and I'll prolly just uninstall it and play something nice... like... MOUNT AND BLADE: STAR WARS CONQUEST 0.9.4 PREVIEW VERSION!
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

BaNa wrote:edit: this may not have been clear in my orig post: I meant to say that the oldschool fit things into this box inventory was bad design, not limited inventory. The new elder scrolls games did away with this kind of thing too (but not limited inv), and I honestly cannot recall a new game that has that mechanic.
The JA2 1.13 mod has a design similar to this, but even more fiddly, and it got a lot of praise as far as I saw.

Though I did find that tiring to manage when you've got people in the double digits.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

rattle wrote:Have to agree... the whole soldier developement and equipment thing in the new game just feels tacked on, similar to the lack of control over interceptors on the world "map" or combat screen. At least you don't have to press X repeatedly to win SPACE SHIP DUELLLLLLLS.

I'm really bored with this game and I'll prolly just uninstall it and play something nice... like... MOUNT AND BLADE: STAR WARS CONQUEST 0.9.4 PREVIEW VERSION!

I always wondered why nobody ever wrote a quicktime bot for playstation or x-box.. cant be that hard, to detect that button onscreen- and turn that whole hey-im-a-game,stop-and go, into the cutscene it really is
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

On Xbox and Playstation people only write bots to pwn n00bs in CODBLOPS so they can be L33T H4ck3rs.

There's a rule that productive things aren't allowed.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”