uTorrent

uTorrent

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

uTorrent

Post by Forboding Angel »

IP Filtering.

Does anyone know how to properly do it? All of the info I can find is years old. Essentially I want to block the entirity of the US IP ranges. (which I have)

However, utorrents ip filter is cryptic to say the least. Anyone know how?
US_ipranges.txt.gz
(145 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Hoi

Re: uTorrent

Post by Hoi »

If you want to prevent tracking, this isn't going to work. Use a vpn in that case or some similar service, won't cost you more than $60 a year.

If you don't want that, but just want to block ip adresses I would:

Follow these instructions (old but still works)

Check the syntax of ipfilter.dat, and modify it accordingly to block what you want to block.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Thanks for the info. I actually just want to do this as a test. I'm curious as to what I'll find.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Ofc everyone uses block lists. But they are not as effective as you like!
A recent british study showed, that companies are monitoring torrent traffic especially around music and movies. IP blockers seem to be ineffective against them.

Study: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~tpc/Papers/P2PMonitor.pdf
Articles: https://www.google.de/search?q=torrent+ ... SecureComm
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

dansan wrote:Ofc everyone uses block lists. But they are not as effective as you like!
A recent british study showed, that companies are monitoring torrent traffic especially around music and movies. IP blockers seem to be ineffective against them.

Study: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~tpc/Papers/P2PMonitor.pdf
Articles: https://www.google.de/search?q=torrent+ ... SecureComm
Block lists are ineffective for the same reason that it's impossible to ban someone from a website. You just need one working IP and you have access.

It's impossible to determine every IP that every company in the world could potentially be using to monitor traffic. Let alone attempting to do that without blocking legitimate traffic that isn't invasive (which block lists try to do)

What Forb is proposing however is of plausible use. If you assume that no one outside of the US will sue you as a US citizen, then you don't really care if british companies or what not are monitoring your traffic, so potentially blocking all US IPs is blocking the source of your troubles. No block list, generally speaking, is just going to out and out block the whole country. That would be a phenomena I doubt most US companies will be monitoring.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Forboding, seriously now. It wasn't 5 years ago when I told you that wifi security relying on MAC address whitelisting is retarded and now you're trying to torrent safely by blocking individual IP addresses.

edit: found it
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Caydr wrote:Forboding, seriously now. It wasn't 5 years ago when I told you that wifi security relying on MAC address whitelisting is retarded and now you're trying to torrent safely by blocking individual IP addresses.

Eeheheh, well, MAC address white listing. Silliness.

However, in this case, he's not trying to block individual IP addresses, that would be a waste of time; he's blocking whole national ranges. There are clear downsides, yes, and it doesn't protect you from companies that choose to run their tracking bots through vpn or international locations. But it could be one of those things, simply because the downsides are great enough that not enough other people try it, most tracking systems probably aren't accounting for it. Generally speaking my bot shouldn't need to be outside the US to make contact with someone downloading a torrent. I'm more worried about not having it on a blacklist somewhere.

Truth be told though, there's a reasonably high chance that just trying to avoid being flagged onto torrent community blacklists is enough to encourage companies to run through vpn for their systems tracking traffic.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I stopped using blocklists and now use a vpn instead. It's not expensive and also gives you access to television in given countries. I use HMA Pro, which costs like 5 € / month.

Because I also have a company now, it's a good thing to have anyway, to protect data traffic.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Caydr wrote:Forboding, seriously now. It wasn't 5 years ago when I told you that wifi security relying on MAC address whitelisting is retarded and now you're trying to torrent safely by blocking individual IP addresses.

WEP is easy to bypass while having no knowledge of what a MAC address is. In order to be able to use wifi that is using mac address whitelisting, you have to know what the MAC addresses are of at least one device on the network. Again, easy, but enough to stop most.

If a network nerd is determined to break into your network, he will probably succeed one way or another (How many of you have remembered to disable WPS (and know why you should)?).
SwiftSpear wrote: What Forb is proposing however is of plausible use. If you assume that no one outside of the US will sue you as a US citizen, then you don't really care if british companies or what not are monitoring your traffic, so potentially blocking all US IPs is blocking the source of your troubles. No block list, generally speaking, is just going to out and out block the whole country. That would be a phenomena I doubt most US companies will be monitoring.
This. As I mentioned, it is just me being amused testing stuff out. On a forums in the deep dark recesses of the internet one user mused if this could be viable. I thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately, uTorrent's ipfilter.dat is nigh unusable for this purpose, sadly (because who wants to reformat all those ip lists?).

uTorrent has really gone down the shitter in the past few months. Any alternatives that are just as good (bonus points if it uses less fugly IP blocking list syntax).
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote: WEP is easy to bypass while having no knowledge of what a MAC address is. In order to be able to use wifi that is using mac address whitelisting, you have to know what the MAC addresses are of at least one device on the network. Again, easy, but enough to stop most.

If a network nerd is determined to break into your network, he will probably succeed one way or another (How many of you have remembered to disable WPS (and know why you should)?).
Hacking WEP requires time and activity on the network (there's also an active and passive attack iirc, passive sometimes being really slow), spoofing a MAC address is trivial. MAC limitations would just cause problems when your friends come and try to connect with their phones.

A "network nerd" can try as much to break into my network, but he isn't getting through a WPA2 using a long non-dictionary PW. WPS was always disabled on my network, I only checked to confirm that when that security hole was found out.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Have you checked out peerblock at all?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Peerblock is unreliable as well as the fact that it is horrid for torrents.

This isn't so much about me giving a damn as it is me wanting to experiment.

@gajop, there are more methods than just electronic. There is always a way.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”