Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3 - Page 2

Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rumpelstiltskin

Re: Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I dont know about any OP berserker build and TBH i dont want to know.
I have played with the engineer and the gun guy.
Maybe I'm not building my gun dude properly but he seems weaker to me than the engineer.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

I play a Beserker with a life steal + AS build

You heal faster than you take damage though I am playing in veteran atm not tried Elite yet.

Also to comment on the D3 vs TL2 debate. TL2 is closer to a succesor to D2 than D3 is. I regret buying D3 the mass respecing and lack of variation really kills the fun for me and after completing inferno I really cbb to farm paragon levels and grind for better gear. World of grindcraft would have been a more appropriate name.

Ever since WoW's success Blizzard have turned into a massive cash cow and I refuse to give them any more money. Fuck heart of the swarm.
Rumpelstiltskin

I will say one thing, T2 level randomization is much more in depth.
Rumpelstiltskin

So did the patch fix some stuff?
I saw it had some nerfs for the berserker.
WombatTheUnstoppable

Post by WombatTheUnstoppable »

rattle wrote:After going through the TL2 forums a bit the god mode berserker build apparently still is in the game... 2x the fastest +charge +crit knuckles with DOT enchants to stack the DOT for damage combined with a life leech and high crit chance build simply does not die unless you are totally reckless.

Fast weapons and damage over time enchantments really took the difficulty out of the beta even on elite. Anyone actually playing it and got some feedback on this?
I started playing on elite, got all classes at ~30 lvl untill 3rd act (character save bug fkd me).

Berserker gives most fun, completely massacres everything that moves. Obviously, like in every H&S proper build makes every character OP. Blood hunger + crits + shadow burst + raze + shadowbind+ wolf shade = OP, but epic fun. Even with good build, you will still have lot of problems, first on snow area, desert will piss you off badly too. No matter what build you will choose, you will still need to micro a lot (<3 tab).

Personally i think potions and bugged pets (very often they dont flee) ruin the challenge. But honestly, TL2 is made purely for fun, not to make you rage. Reason why player gets many tools, that can make their game much easier (for example thanks to properly placed portal, you wont lose any money after death).

In any other game i would recommend playing on highest difficulty, but veteran is nicely balanced and gives most fun.

Great weapons engineer <3
Rumpelstiltskin

Hmm On veteran if you really try you will skim through everything...
It's not very challenging.It is still fun.
Elite is when you start feeling really challenged.
I tried all the chars except the berserk.
I was going at it today with the gun guy on elite and i couldn't finish a phase beast challenge cause i couldn't deal enough damage.
I spent tons of money on pots...
When i did it on veteran i didnt even really understand what the catch was about the challenge, cause, I didnt have to.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I still die a lot on veteran. Often in rows. Sometimes so quickly I don't even have time to understand what happened.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Yahtzee says borderlands 2 is REALLY bad.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ign=videos
Rumpelstiltskin

meh his videos are usually slightly entertaining but mostly nonsensical.
That comment about killing that boss and how the first vaulters werent able too..
Who the fuck cares the plot is a bunch of wacky silly stuff patched together.
It's not meant to be taken seriously anyway.
What I resent about borderlands is how easily exploitable it is.
smoth

Post by smoth »

dimm wrote:Yahtzee says borderlands 2 is REALLY bad.
If yajtzee does all your thinking for you, hey GG, easy mode life turn on.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

smoth wrote:
dimm wrote:Yahtzee says borderlands 2 is REALLY bad.
If yajtzee does all your thinking for you, hey GG, easy mode life turn on.
Smoth, don't be a dick. Posting a professional review doesn't mean you just listen to them for your opinion, it could be that you just agree with them and they express the ideas you want to but more articulately.
smoth

Post by smoth »

So dimm was posting something of substance? Nope, just "Yahtzee says borderlands 2 is REALLY bad." That is all, no substance, just that yahtzee has an opinion of the game. I am disinclined to be nice when this guy seldom posts actual discussion. Yahtzee is an entertainer, no one should take his reviews without a barrel of salt.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I think that Yatzee's point is that the game is just the same old with a couple of new fancy engine features. To me its just a patch that comes with a price tag.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Well, what's a sequel usually like? New levels, new features, new enemies but same core idea. That's what's going on here. It has far more variety than the first. For example the game frequently alternates between fighting "Jason" and the Hyperion forces which are initially just combat robots but add stuff like spawner bots and human support troops as the game goes on. The bandits also come in more variety.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yahtzee played part of the exposition and got no further imo. When I got nuked by the first constructor I fought I was giddy.

Kdr, do you do the level up with the bugs and berserkers?
Rumpelstiltskin

He just needs to decide if he wants Stanley Kubrick build ups or Michael Bay mindless mayhem.
Not that Borderlands is the game equivalent of a stanely Kubrick film but If he wants to complain about the beginning of the game being slower he shouldn't complain about games that focus on superficial bling.
smoth

Post by smoth »

well it is true enough that you are meant to strike a balance but honestly, hack and slash mechanics get more interesting the higher you go. When you start out in something like bl or hellgate(because is it the only similar one I can think of) the game is pretty simple and fairly pedestrian fps. Not saying bl is in any way deep but it is very much about building your guy into a monster as a lowbie.. you are pretty damn vanilla

so saying that the game gets more interesting as you go along is reasonable and should be considered
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Quite a few critics, speaking of BL2 have basically said "If you liked borderlands 1, you will like borderlands 2 even more, and if you hated BL1 BL2 probably hasn't done enough to win you over."

I think that's probably the most potent thing I've seen. I found the shooting in BL1 anemic and mindless, the guns were cool, but that was pretty much the only up side of the game for me. I've seen nothing in BL2 that has changed my mind from that.

I really like that a huge AAA game is smashing the market up with procedurally generated content, because I feel it's a very underrepresented feature in AAA games, so I'll support BL2, but personally I don't find it very fun.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Who the fuck cares the plot is a bunch of wacky silly stuff patched together.
It's not meant to be taken seriously anyway.
And like 2/3ds of video is spent on this. But maybe we were supposed to watch the previous BL review like it was part 1. Anyway there is no reviewer better than yatzee so...
Rumpelstiltskin

I found tons of the chatter in BL2 very entertaining.
I wish the levels were also randomly generated.
That would have been truly aweosme.
I dont know why mainstream AAA titles are so afraid of randomly generated game worlds(within limits to keep them from being dull).
Torchlight 2 almost did it right but it is still way too restrictive.
I guess they all want a predictable game experience for those that only play it once.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”