Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3 - Page 3

Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Funkencool

Re: Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3

Post by Funkencool »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Torchlight 2 almost did it right but it is still way too restrictive.
I guess they all want a predictable game experience for those that only play it once.
But thats the thing, its the farthest thing from restrictive (besides open source), or at least when the mod tool comes out it will be. That's my favorite part of TL 2. It's already awesome but almost all of the downfalls will be fixable through modding. On top of that it'll also have steam workshop for easy distribution (and hotspot, the user made mod manager).
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I meant the vanilla campaign.
So...What amazing mods were made for Torchlight 1?Cause i cant recall any....
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

So you people that play borderlands, I've got bored with the first game after beating New Game+. There was no point to play on. I did not feel like buying these mindless addons for it because they don't really add anything new to the formula and put a drain on your wallet instead. Is there any point in playing this game after beating it?

Take Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for example, a straight forward adventure game by Lucas Arts. I've beaten the game more than ten times over the years, tried to achive a maximum score in it. I prolly replay it every two years still. I've not touched Borderlands ever since... so, is BL2 really fun, worth the bucks? Is it entertainment for more than a week?

Also looking forward to the TL2 toolkit, I hope to see some nice total conversions in the future. This kinda thing can make or break a game
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

smoth wrote:yahtzee played part of the exposition and got no further imo. When I got nuked by the first constructor I fought I was giddy.
He got at least to the part where Sanctuary lifts off since he describes the Wilhelm battle (was similarily anticlimactic for me).
Kdr, do you do the level up with the bugs and berserkers?
I cannot even parse this sentence.
rattle wrote:Is there any point in playing this game after beating it?
Er, does there have to be? I think you're being pretty damn unreasonable. You could e.g. try playing through it with another class if you want and I think there's some new game + stuff but how much can you reasonably expect one game to provide?
Rumpelstiltskin

Now if they had PvP...
Im pretty sure Borderlands 1 did, right?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

It had arenas, I don't know if they're PvP since I didn't try them.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The game was so terribly boring once you've seen all the enemy types and got all the shitty special loot, I didn't feel like playing the other classes because only one was actually fun to play.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Rattle
You didn't like the first, you won't like the second, it isn't to your taste. I am not trying to be mean or dismissive, I am just cutting to the enevitable conclusion. BL2 builds on what made bl1 enjoyable for people, if you didn't like bl1 you won't likely like bl2 and we can skip all the angry bitching.

Kdr:
Kdr, do you (do the level up with the bugs and berserkers)?

do the level up = where they can upgrade via kills or pods

bugs = the insects in the caustic level

berserkers = there are different varieties of goliaths so I just call them berserkers because that is what happens when their helmet comes off.

on the topic of tl2:
I don't think the editor/mod support/whatever will make or break it. This implies the game is not fun as it is, it already has made it. Now whether or not modability/userlevels will break it, that is still in question.
Rumpelstiltskin

So anyone been doing well on Elite in TL2?
So hard...Feels almost like I need to first play it on casual(highest rate of good loot), gather as many amazing items as i can just so i can use them with my elite char.
WombatTheUnstoppable

Post by WombatTheUnstoppable »

Elite is not that extremely difficult (even without shared chest). You just cant go rambo, you need to play hit&run. Problem is that its boring, thats why i prefer veteran. Also you can pretty much skip totems phase challenges, these are pain even on veteran :'

Main issue with TL2 (well, questionable) is that you cant farm xp. You cant just come back to chapter 1 and get some extra xp.

As a pro tip - if you find item that gives even 2% more xp, keep it, its priceless. If you find trader selling these, buy them. Vampire spider eggs come handy for more difficult fights too.

EDIT - like load screen says, dont hoard embers, also remember about elemental protection (rings)
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Hm. I find veteran pretty easy. I'm at level 15 or so and I'm slinging double guns and I put almost all points in dexterity, some in vitality. I got 1 point in those starter glaives and the rest in damage improving skills. I'm constantly doing areas 1 or 2 levels above my own. I do use pots freely. For example when I'm doing some boss and I can't be bored to run away I just chug pots and shoot. Haven't died yet. Can't wait to get some vampiric bonuses though, and perhaps some knock back.

It seems as if TL2 is more boring than TL1, but maybe that is because it just doesn't add anything interesting to the game.
WombatTheUnstoppable

Post by WombatTheUnstoppable »

Then change character, gunslinger was/is most OP character in both TL1 and 2. Started as gunslinger in 1 on highest diff, same in 2 on elite, yes its easy.

As gunslinger you put everything in dexterity and anything else crit related, other characters are far mroe difficult to balance (melee ofc)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”