Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

How comes there is no thread yet about it? Seem to be just like Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, and Spring *A, with the added twist of strapping rockets to moons to crash them on your opponent!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659 ... ration-rts <- what that vid at the top. Really.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/planeta ... ith-moons/

http://planetaryannihilation.com

Azhukar

Re: Planetory Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post by Azhukar »

$900,000 for a niche RTS. Good luck.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Double Fine Adventure did it and they didn't even have a premise... why not? Though admittedly, I backed DFA for access to the documentary and these folks don't seem to have that going for them... though they do have the ability to set up bases on asteroids and crash them into planets so...
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Jon Mavor loved the Big Bertha cannon in Total Annihilation, so much so that its replacement in Supreme Commander is named… the Mavor.
Also following in Zero-K's footsteps :regret:

But I hope it gets made, and if it keeps up the current pace seems like it will.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I kinda wish there was a live graph so we could watch the news go viral...
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

It's a cool video and it sounds like a cool idea but I don't know how good a game it will make.
Azhukar wrote:$900,000 for a niche RTS. Good luck.
Indeed, good luck(incredulous) and good luck(genuine).

/edit/ Ugh, having to use Amazon to pay makes me want to stab a bitch.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

i paypaled the money i would have donated to zero-k instead. :D

Seriously havent bought a game in half a eternity (except minecraft) and now this.. yeah..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

PC Gamer wrote:The planets appear spherical, but Uber are playing a topological trick so their surfaces operate more like traditional, rectangular RTS maps.
Which means doing it in Spring would be far easier =p
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

you gotta water the north and southpoles?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

This looks pretty sexy

Procedural worlds are the one thing i am afraid of, for gameplay reasons.

edit: i see there is a built in map editor so looks good.

edit#2:
Mavor: Yeah, actually. So what we’re doing in this game, the actual topology of these planets is not what it appears to be. I don’t know if I want to say much more than that, but the actual flow of them, as you move around them, is much more like a rectangular wrapping battlefield than it is like an actual round planet. It looks like a planet, but it’s not necessarily going to act like one.
>_>
<_<
Last edited by BaNa on 16 Aug 2012, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

You guys realize that these are all 3d renders and not an actual product right? They did say that...

Regardless, hope it gets made. Could be really cool.
gajop

Post by gajop »

meh, i think we could add 3d & multiple maps for under 900k ;)
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

gajop wrote:meh, i think we could add 3d & multiple maps for under 900k ;)
Honestly there'd be high probability of just turning into a total mess that wouldn't work satisfactorily at all if you'd try to lump all that into Spring. Plus they don't have to worry about all the old Spring quirks, sometimes it's just better to start from scratch if you have the resources.
Of course it's nowhere guaranteed that they can do better on their own engine, it definitely can turn out shitty, but we will see.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Spore.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

omg we got follow the hype, instead of seeing our own thing through. What this is.. is basically a very nice looking version of metall fatigue crossbreed with ta. We could archive this, simply by having 3 or more paralles spring games, and having a seemless transition from the zoomed out map to a planetary system wide map. I mean.. we even allready have that shadder that simulates a planetary enviorment around the map, curving away in the distance. So we coul do it.. but it would demand much work.. and include a bunch of unstabble releases.. for what? Beeing second place on the largescale rts ? The eternal rabbit to the hedgehog? By the time we are there, they will allready build a "planetary" rip apart rts, so why not go there directly?

It boils down too a huge nuke on the mainbattle.. for christs sake, if we just had some simulated spacebattles above, something too look at, we could simulate the whole of epicness, without having the mess of some complete rewrite.

If you want a metagame.. fine.. take something like kdrs space game, and sync that up.. and if one bombards the planet.. you get free airstrikes down below..

Just please, please dont start one of those "rewrite, rewrite frencys"...
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

PC Gamer wrote:The planets appear spherical, but Uber are playing a topological trick so their surfaces operate more like traditional, rectangular RTS maps.
Well that's fucking disappointing.
Falcrum

Post by Falcrum »

Shut Up And Take My Money! :shock:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Das Bruce wrote:
Well that's fucking disappointing.
It is... but what it really comes down to is how well they sell the illusion... if it's being faked but it looks as good as the mock-up in the trailer then I'm only mildly disappointing.

Where my brain goes with this is that it really fits the brain space I have for Galactic Civilizations II and other Space 4X games more than it does traditional RTS... I've always kinda wanted a small-scale game of galactic conquest played in real-time where I could just build stuff instead of having a grid of possible planetary upgrades. If they can make this game "feel" right I think it will totally work... otherwise I would rather someone throw a million dollars at Spring...

That said... this little paragraph is very heatening:
Advanced Modding features

Create new units, gametypes, maps and planet archetypes. Run your own servers with your own sets of units and game modes.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”