Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!) - Page 23

Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post by PicassoCT »

It seems botching it twice is not kicking it..
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, not surprised.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

they were still pledged ~350,000. Imagine what we could do with that kind of moneys :(
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:they were still pledged ~350,000. Imagine what we could do with that kind of moneys :(
Seriously... you could hire 7 guys full time for a year with that much money... maybe not all top-notch game developers or graphics artists or whatever... but still.

I always wonder what would happen if you just told a group of people interested in making games "Here, we'll pay your salary for a year, see what you can do"... sure you'd have a few slugs like me just piss it away but if you got the right guys it could be epic.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

"and that's why Spring needs to join SPI"
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

So, I guess I'm going to be the weird one out and say that I tried out galactic war last night and while I could see lots of areas lacking, there were also a lot of things that impressed me.

The whole interface felt rather slick (especially the notifications), the warp gates were really cool, the multi-planet thing worked out rather well (I picked up the feeling for multi-tasking across planets rather quickly), and while some graphics are artistically uninspired they all felt rather polished overall.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the development drowned in money, no suprise that its polished :P
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

For some perspective:

https://www.openhub.net/p/springrts/estimated_cost
Estimated 'cost' of writing the spring engine: $8,538,676

https://www.openhub.net/p/Zero-K/estimated_cost
Estimated 'cost' of writing Zero-K (including website, lobby, and other resources; excluding artwork): $15,601,503

Estimated cost of a game like Zero-K: ~$24 mil

Now that is using the default coder salary of $55,000/yr, which is rather generous, but even if you reduce that by half, Zero-K is a $12 mil game.

So no, a $2.5 mil kickstarter is not 'drowning in money', and $0.35 mil will bring some nice things, but probably not do as much as you think it could.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Iam not going to repeat myself, i think if you want to find reasons why this game is at best an average game you should look at the 20+ pages of peoples opinions.

Also i wont discuss money, i think thats a very poor way to compare games specially between an open source one and a payed title such as PA.

If you are saying that the game had money issues, i have only this to say, dont promise what you cant deliver, and specially you are forgetting the game is being sold, and preordered for over a year, and it even got on sale like 10 times before it was released.

Its not a fair comparison.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

openhub.com says quite clearly, even on the links above
Please note that COCOMO was created to model large institutional projects, which often don't compare well with distributed open-source projects.
(COCOMO is the formula they use to estimate project cost)
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Guys I'm not trying to make a direct comparison, just offer some crude perspective (like an order of magnitude calculation). I was also aware of the disclaimer and that is partially the reason I posted direct links.

The bottom line is that money is probably not as much money as you think it is.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Ueber Entertaiment wrote:yeah, we really cut back on the hookers (i will never get used to Kevin with a Wig and Hotpants dancing in the office) and only used crack instead of cocaine. Buisness can be tough. Deal with it. Got to roll with the punches. Sting like a heroine syringe and race like a ferrari. Qutoe MBA quotes like a automaton. Then and only then, you shall see zion.
smoth

Post by smoth »

luckywaldo7 wrote:The bottom line is that money is probably not as much money as you think it is.
not if they want to develop the game in a timely fashion to a high level of quality. I agree.

In software:

Quality
Cost
Time

Pick 2.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Reuse Spring engine for 4. Perhaps not use such an unwieldy and pointless gimmick for a 2.5.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

SinbadEV wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:they were still pledged ~350,000. Imagine what we could do with that kind of moneys :(
Seriously... you could hire 7 guys full time for a year with that much money... maybe not all top-notch game developers or graphics artists or whatever... but still.

I always wonder what would happen if you just told a group of people interested in making games "Here, we'll pay your salary for a year, see what you can do"... sure you'd have a few slugs like me just piss it away but if you got the right guys it could be epic.
The problem is that you dont hire grafix artists for a whole year. Programmers maybe.
But artists you need for concept, unit, world and then gone.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

PicassoCT wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:

The problem is that you dont hire grafix artists for a whole year. Programmers maybe.
But artists you need for concept, unit, world and then gone.
Unless they are smoths and do all of the things.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

And then the same amount of guys showing up - doing it clever and creating stuff via BuildSystems out of nowhere, making you look like a proud long distance running hamster in a wheel..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJLmWV7BF4w

Still, very well trained hamster though.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It's a trailer. Don't you know by now trailers should not be trusted?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

But.. but .. just because they live in a trailer park- like E3 - that doesent make it all lies and rollercoasters..
dimm

Post by dimm »

lolercoasters and guns always guns
well its either that or crafting soo

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”