Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!) - Page 5

Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

dimm

Re: Planetory Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post by dimm »

The intro video makes me think of athe game 'light of altair'. Same 3d cartoony graphics in a solar system. Completely different gp though. Also Altair is a weak game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKRza3z ... ure=relmfu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tP4XTriDdk
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I hope they will never add any experimental units..Such nonesense.
T1/T2 spring like unit tiers is the best.
What I want the most is for the gameplay and balance to be great.
That the control over units and groups of units would be fun and convenient.
Supcom had a lot of draw backs in that departments imo.
Actually if they scale down a bit from Supcom an drevert to TA army sizes Id be very happy.
Another thing is post launch support and patches for gameplay and balance.
Nothing kills an rts competitive scene than a lack of support for the balance.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Nothing kills an rts competitive scene than a lack of support for the balance.
The biggest competitive RTS had 1 balance patch after the expansion set was out.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Big expansion sets arn't big balance patches as well?
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Das Bruce wrote:Big expansion sets arn't big balance patches as well?
They are, that's why I mentioned that it was an expansion. Which brings us up to two.
Rumpelstiltskin

Well than it was well balanced from the get go.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Experimental units are too common, lets call them what they really are, cheap tier 4 units in a 2 tech tier game
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Well than it was well balanced from the get go.
Not necessarily any more than most games, at least if you go by the amount of whining about imba this or that. Tournament results between the races weren't so even either.

But what changed over time were maps, and the strategies developed as a result of the map changes and due to people just getting better and smarter.

I'd say too frequent, reactive patching is more destructive to a game than no patching at all (assuming that there's no truly gamebreaking issues). It makes a playerbase much more whiny, and if you want a truly competitive game it's much better if it's a finished product, so you don't risk your strategies suddenly being invalidated by a patch.

Of course changing maps has some of the same effect too, but it's a much more elegant solution.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What has everyone pledged?
Rumpelstiltskin

I pledged to pirate it.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

AF wrote:What has everyone pledged?
Just $20 but I'm thinking of buying a bunch of keys to give away as Christmas presents or something.

I've apparently got a really serious Kickstarter habit since I think I've pledged probably $100 over the past five months of "cool projects".
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I pledged to pirate it.
Which should be easy as it's DRM free for offline play. (Also: You totally shouldn't pirate.)
Rumpelstiltskin

I will pirate to first check that it works on my computer without any issues.
To than check how it plays and if its worth my time.
I bought supcom once already...

If someone wants to buy it blindly to than sit around for 6 months waiting for a patch to fix a broken balance/gameplay, or to mess around with customer support and forums trying to solve some bug that wont let him play he can be my guest.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I will pirate to first check that it works on my computer without any issues.
To than check how it plays and if its worth my time.
I bought supcom once already...

If someone wants to buy it blindly to than sit around for 6 months waiting for a patch to fix a broken balance/gameplay, or to mess around with customer support and forums trying to solve some bug that wont let him play he can be my guest.
If you don't give them money NOW, the game will be less good, and then you won't want to pay for it LATER. It's a self fulfilling prophesy.

Yeah it's gambling, that's the whole point of these things though. Your point is a lot more valid when it comes to existing things, pirating a movie, game or book only cuts into profits, not development/production budget.

That said, I'm fine to let someone else gamble on this one, I don't have a computer capable of playing most Spring games let alone something like this. Still excited to see how it turns out. They'vr broken a MILLION
now.

Saw an article: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... kickstarte

Seems like they'd prefer a budget of 1.5 Million + to make the game they want to make.
Rumpelstiltskin

TBH I dont get all these extras they add if they get more money or the bonuses for people who pay more...
I'd prefer their original promise plus proper support of the community for the next 5 years and more concentration on releasing a properly polished game with proper beta testing.
Dont care if they got naval units and uranuses if the game is broken at its core and with nobody willing to fix it post launch.

Also if the make a proper game than whatever they get extra they can just keep for themselves as far as im concerned.
Rumpelstiltskin

Lava and metal maps added as a stretch goal...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

That's so stale!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

dimm wrote:The intro video makes me think of athe game 'light of altair'. Same 3d cartoony graphics in a solar system. Completely different gp though. Also Altair is a weak game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKRza3z ... ure=relmfu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tP4XTriDdk
I have that game... didn't play more than a day
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:TBH I dont get all these extras they add if they get more money or the bonuses for people who pay more...
I'd prefer their original promise plus proper support of the community for the next 5 years and more concentration on releasing a properly polished game with proper beta testing.
Dont care if they got naval units and uranuses if the game is broken at its core and with nobody willing to fix it post launch.

Also if the make a proper game than whatever they get extra they can just keep for themselves as far as im concerned.
The funding goals for kickstarter are less than the real requirements. They are set low so that they don't seem impossible and therefore encourage backers. The stretch goals are a PR thing, the team promises to add something "cool" into the game to keep the hype going. It probably won't cost 200 000$ to develop water units, they need it for polishing the whole thing. I'm guessing the real monetary requirement for the game to be a polished product is closer to 2M than 900K...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”