Linus saying: action >> idea - Page 2

Linus saying: action >> idea

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: Linus saying: action >> idea

Post by rattle »

What he said is that he'd prefer people looking at the big picture before they act, then there'd be little need for a debugger and the programmer had a different level of awareness and can plan ahead. Sadly not everyone is a super brain that counts primes to sleep.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

If i would take a look at the big picture, i would go slightly mad with infinity of work nauseau.. so i dont. i look at what i can do, what i got, i look at bits and pieces here.. with not a clue what they do, hoping that one day they might come together in my head. Debuggers are nice, they help you a lot till you get to the point were the code is allready compiled in your head anyway, and throws errors behind your eyes.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i don't know linus much, but i know he had two good ideas: making an open source kernel, and creating git.
i also know, that he is a C guy since decades, due to that, and due to working on the kernel most of the time, he is obviosuly.. a very low-level biased guy. keeping this context in mind, it is no wonder he says stuff like this. i am sure he thinks that his ideas/rules apply for all kind of software development, but i also believe that he has not much idea about high-level application design and development.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”