Max Payne 3

Max Payne 3

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Carpenter

Max Payne 3

Post by Carpenter »

Just finished the game today and I must say that it had one helluva story. The story had basically nothing to do with its ancestors but it was still very well told.

Worth buying, if Mass Effect 3 was a disappointment, then make that feeling go away and just BUY MP3. Thx.

P.S.

If you've played MP3 already, gimme your thoughts.
klapmongool

Re: Max Payne 3

Post by klapmongool »

It is a scripted third person shooter. Might as well get me some interactive screensavers to have fun with.

Honestly it was mostly the shitload of scenes in between the actual playing that bothered me. Played it maybe an hour.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

do they have those chesthigh walls and waves of stupid enemys to prolong the game?
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Simply put I think its a very well made game that I wouldn't play for any other reason than the story and cinematics. Not that the gameplay sucks(quite the contrary) , there's just a LOT of story(cut scenes) but hey I like both games and movies so why not compromise.

That's all just based of the singleplayer tho, I haven't tried the multi-player.
PicassoCT wrote:chesthigh walls and waves of stupid enemys to prolong the game
check
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Funkencool wrote:Simply put I think its a very well made game that I wouldn't play for any other reason than the story and cinematics. Not that the gameplay sucks(quite the contrary) , there's just a LOT of story(cut scenes) but hey I like both games and movies so why not compromise.

That's all just based of the singleplayer tho, I haven't tried the multi-player.
Yes, I guess if you don't like cut scenes and movie like games, then do not try it. Also I didn't try the multiplayer either, heard it's not working properly and anyway, according to my experience the multiplayer in games like that is not that much of a joy.
klapmongool wrote:Honestly it was mostly the shitload of scenes in between the actual playing that bothered me.
So yes I understand your point klap.
PicassoCT wrote:do they have those chesthigh walls and waves of stupid enemys to prolong the game?
Name one or more fps or third-person shooters wherein the enemies are not stupid? :D I'll try all of them. Chest-high walls? Sure some.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

does it have interactive action cutscenes where you have to tap dat button or lose the game?
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

rattle wrote:does it have interactive action cutscenes where you have to tap dat button or lose the game?
Only like 2 or 3 of those. Didn't really even bother.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

oh really......

here's three things I could imagine that are more fun than this game:
  1. drinking five liters of Klean-Prep!
  2. ileus with stool emesis
  3. eye cerclage + vitrectomy + gas bubble operation without anesthesia
smoth

Post by smoth »

Glay-Surfrider.mp3 is pretty cool guy! But you can't has my thoughts they is mines!
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Carpenter wrote:Worth buying, if Mass Effect 3 was a disappointment, then make that feeling go away and just BUY MP3. Thx.
One of my main complains with ME1/2/3 was that all the exciting bits were cut scenes. It sounds like MP3 is suffering from this too. Confirm/Deny?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

rattle wrote:oh really......

here's three things I could imagine that are more fun than this game:
  1. drinking five liters of Klean-Prep!
  2. ileus with stool emesis
  3. eye cerclage + vitrectomy + gas bubble operation without anesthesia
  4. Uncharted series
Fixed.

Anyway, typical for sequels... every next part becomes worse... MaxPayne1forLife
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Das Bruce wrote:One of my main complains with ME1/2/3 was that all the exciting bits were cut scenes. It sounds like MP3 is suffering from this too. Confirm/Deny?
Partially confirmed. They were interesting, but definitely not the best part of the game, nor the most exciting part of it. Action pretty much was the meal and cut scenes were the salt. Klap said it had way too many cut scenes for him but if you don't mind cut scenes, then you should give it a go.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Carpenter wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:One of my main complains with ME1/2/3 was that all the exciting bits were cut scenes. It sounds like MP3 is suffering from this too. Confirm/Deny?
Partially confirmed. They were interesting, but definitely not the best part of the game, nor the most exciting part of it. Action pretty much was the meal and cut scenes were the salt. Klap said it had way too many cut scenes for him but if you don't mind cut scenes, then you should give it a go.

I also said this carp:
It is a scripted third person shooter. Might as well get me some interactive screensavers to have fun with.
There no freedom at all. In light of the cutscenes you could say that they just let you play half of the movie you are watching. In order to fit your parts in they always have to have the same start and ending.

I liked the freedom in Crysis (1). If you like that buy a long stick to keep max payne at a safe distance.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

As I understand it, it's pretty much the best painfully linear uninspired third person shooter you will ever play. The gameplay mechanics are absurdly nice, but the story isn't more than a bit above average, the art style lacks the style that made Max Payne original in MP1 and 2, and it's so linear and scripted Max literally shoots people for you in cut scenes. Why wouldn't they just let you shoot the people yourself? You're playing the character after all!

I'll wait for it to go on sale.
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

klapmongool wrote:I also said this carp:
There no freedom at all. In light of the cutscenes you could say that they just let you play half of the movie you are watching. In order to fit your parts in they always have to have the same start and ending.

I liked the freedom in Crysis (1). If you like that buy a long stick to keep max payne at a safe distance.
I liked both Crysis games too but MP3 and Crysis are very different from each other anyway. I wouldn't want MP3 world to be large because I don't need that, I just enjoyed the action and story part of it. If I wanted to play a game with larger world, I would play GTAs or Crysis. Also Far Cries worked well too. Just a matter of taste then I guess.
SwiftSpear wrote:As I understand it, it's pretty much the best painfully linear uninspired third person shooter you will ever play. The gameplay mechanics are absurdly nice, but the story isn't more than a bit above average, the art style lacks the style that made Max Payne original in MP1 and 2, and it's so linear and scripted Max literally shoots people for you in cut scenes. Why wouldn't they just let you shoot the people yourself? You're playing the character after all!

I'll wait for it to go on sale.
And Swift you've misunderstood this; YOU do all the killing, not the character in cut scenes. I don't remember there being any killing at all by Max in the cut scenes and if there was, it was so little that it didn't even bother me.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Carpenter wrote: I liked both Crysis games too but MP3 and Crysis are very different from each other anyway. I wouldn't want MP3 world to be large because I don't need that, I just enjoyed the action and story part of it. If I wanted to play a game with larger world, I would play GTAs or Crysis. Also Far Cries worked well too. Just a matter of taste then I guess.
Yea, but I think games should always have freedom in order to be good :)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

freedom and and a good story contradict each other. A good story emphasizes always a great dramatic event marching forward, or beeing marched by you- in both cases it doesent look good, if the heroe goes astray to pick some flowers for sidequests. I call imersion breaking.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

PicassoCT wrote:freedom and and a good story contradict each other. A good story emphasizes always a great dramatic event marching forward, or beeing marched by you- in both cases it doesent look good, if the heroe goes astray to pick some flowers for sidequests. I call imersion breaking.
The issue doesn't always have to be lack of freedom. Halflife is a linear story, but it never takes your perspective outside of the main character's head, and they go to great lengths to make you not feel boxed in, allowing you some degree of horizontal mobility to find items and experience Easter eggs. Just because a story is linear doesn't mean it has to feel distant and unrealistic.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

SwiftSpear wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:freedom and and a good story contradict each other. A good story emphasizes always a great dramatic event marching forward, or beeing marched by you- in both cases it doesent look good, if the heroe goes astray to pick some flowers for sidequests. I call imersion breaking.
The issue doesn't always have to be lack of freedom. Halflife is a linear story, but it never takes your perspective outside of the main character's head, and they go to great lengths to make you not feel boxed in, allowing you some degree of horizontal mobility to find items and experience Easter eggs. Just because a story is linear doesn't mean it has to feel distant and unrealistic.
Agree on that.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”